the belster

This is a discussion on the belster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Well, if that's the same belt/holster that you've worn for 6 years then I would say that it has held up ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the belster

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Well, if that's the same belt/holster that you've worn for 6 years then I would say that it has held up pretty well & it still looks quite functional.
    A picture is worth 1,000 words.
    Yup. Only ever bought that one. The stitched holster is on the inside of the belt, so it doesn't stretch. It's been through 4 1911's without any issues.
    Last edited by SARR001; July 10th, 2005 at 10:53 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Hey guys, thanks for the input! I'm the guy who makes the Beltster, right here in Bandera, Texas. Been at it for 8 years now, making a full-time living, having "invented" the thing while living in New Orleans, where I really NEEDED to carry. I'd like to invite one and all to banderagunleather.com. Please see "Notes on the Beltster" and read the testimonials. I'd be pleased to answer any questions. As for the retention issue, this is only the second time I've heard of a gun "jumping out". As for longevity, I've been wearing and using the same Beltster for 4 years, and it's as good as the day it was made. All trigger areas are covered, though with some guns the sides of the trigger show a bit. All in all the Beltster integrates the carry of a pistol into one's life better than anything else on the market. Granted this is just my opinion, but I have seriously studied the problem. If you've not read it, John Bianchi's BLUE STEEL & GUNLEATHER is required reading for anyone seriously interested in holstering modes. My favorite quote from this book is: "The least leather that will do the job is often the best". So it is with the Beltster.
    But it is also true that no one carry mode is perfect, nor right for everyone.
    I'd like to thank Steve for inviting me aboard, and look forward to lively discussion re guns and carry. Best regards, Scott

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Glad you coud join us. It's always good for the consumer and producer to interact like this. It can only help the development of quality products that the consumers want and that sell well for the producer.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Administrator

Thumbs up Hi BeltsterMan

Thanks for registering on CombatCarry.com
    I hope that you'll be active here on the forum. You could contribute a lot.
    Be sure to add a link to your site in the Related Links area.
    Your Beltster rig is an extremely innovative holster idea.
    From a "Fellow Leather Guys" Point Of View ~ I sure can't see any reason why it would not work out just fine as long as there are no retention issues.
    I'll hafta see what specific firearms it's available for.
    It certainly is very minimal & nobody (for sure) could call it bulky!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Scott - good to see you join us. Look forward to your input on many aspects of carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    About the "beltster"...

I've been wearing one since about Sept. of last year. I wear this belt everyday.
    I have had absloutley NO issues with it whatsoever.

Like most of the shooters here, I've got a box full of various makes of holsters that seemed like a good idea at the time, but somehow fell a bit short in one category or another.

Mine is for the Colt Combat Commander and I wear it at the 3:00 position rather than at the 4. I've worn it on various plainclothes dutys when playing deputy and it conceals very well with a shirt pulled over it but is very quick to get to if needed.

Here is the thing that makes it unique as far as holsters go...

Many times I have simply went out without wearing a pistol because it was a hassel to thread a holster into my belt or try to slip an ITWB holster and properly secure it. With this belt there is simply NO excuse to not go armed because it is very easy to slip your gun in there an be done with it. Ive been wearing it everyday at work without the pistol and not one single person has noticed that its a gunbelt with a holster in it. That makes it very easy for me to just slip the gun in when Im in the parking lot on the way home.

Yeah...it takes two hands to put it back but honestly it has never been an issue even when going for a set of handcuffs that stay right beside it. Think about it...when reholstering your gun,it means that the danger is over, you need it no more. I think this "lack" of reholstering is highly exaggerated and simply not a big deal.

As for being secure...its survived several runs though the woods, two jumps over a fence,one crawl under a fence and has lived with me when 4 wheeling around the Ozarks looking for people that thought they had more skills than they displayed.

I've come to love the thing and have got to where I feel naked without it. The real beauty in this belt lies in the fact that its there when you need it.

In my simple way of thinking, ANY holster that encourages you to go about the world armed cant be a bad thing...

Thanks HotGuns. That was a very nice review.
    Shooters' Legacy

The Beltster

I own a Beltster To be perfectly honest with you , I didn't like it. While it was comfortable, it was hard to reholster my gun (Taurus PT111). It was consigned to the Hell Box almost instantly. Like others have said, some like it some don't

Thumbs up Bandera

Quote Originally Posted by BeltsterMan
    Hey guys, thanks for the input! I'm the guy who makes the Beltster, right here in Bandera, Texas. Been at it for 8 years now, making a full-time living, having "invented" the thing while living in New Orleans, where I really NEEDED to carry. I'd like to invite one and all to banderagunleather.com. Please see "Notes on the Beltster" and read the testimonials. I'd be pleased to answer any questions. As for the retention issue, this is only the second time I've heard of a gun "jumping out". As for longevity, I've been wearing and using the same Beltster for 4 years, and it's as good as the day it was made. All trigger areas are covered, though with some guns the sides of the trigger show a bit. All in all the Beltster integrates the carry of a pistol into one's life better than anything else on the market. Granted this is just my opinion, but I have seriously studied the problem. If you've not read it, John Bianchi's BLUE STEEL & GUNLEATHER is required reading for anyone seriously interested in holstering modes. My favorite quote from this book is: "The least leather that will do the job is often the best". So it is with the Beltster.
    But it is also true that no one carry mode is perfect, nor right for everyone.
    I'd like to thank Steve for inviting me aboard, and look forward to lively discussion re guns and carry. Best regards, Scott
    Wish I'd known. I was in Bandera just four days ago. We picked up our pup in Blanco and wanted to make it out there for the PET PARADE but got delayed. I'll say this, the drive thru Medina and Mecca (I SWEAR) Texas was stunningly beautiful. We'll have to get back there, soon.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Gentlemen, on the Beltster, I'd like to thank HotGuns for the very thoughtful review. While I don't recommend the Beltster for anyone who is 'cuffing a perp, I'm also glad to hear it's not a problem for some. The deal is that the holster part of the Beltster partially collapses when the gun is withdrawn, due to belt tension, and whatever degree of softness the leather has acquired through use. I find that positive and quick no-look reholstering comes with a little practice, and a bit of technique: I find the slot where the gun goes with my left thumb (I'm right-handed). Then I find my thumb with the front sight of the pistola, and slide her on in. No problema, but it takes some practice and acclimation. Guys with really big bellies and short arms might find this somewhat difficult.
    To KRobb; so take it out of your Hell Box and give it another chance!
    If y'all don't mind I'd like to make you aware of a Federal lawsuit I have pending against Bandera USA, who has ripped off my product under that name. This is a much inferior version of the Beltster being marketed here, so make no mistake; the original Beltster is only available at BANDERA GUNLEATHER.
    I'd also like to offer a $10. discount to any member of Combat Carry who orders a Beltster through September 1.
    Thanks, y'all!

"To live, my dear Lucilius, is to fight." Seneca, Letters

DC Founder
    Well, it does look like an interesting design which, if it worked the way it's designed to work would resolve the problem I have always had in going into places that I can't carry my gun. Here in Arizona we can't carry anywhere alcohol is served so when I take the wife to dinner I almost always have to leave the gun in the car. On those occasions I usually carry either in a fanny pack or Mexican style so I don't have to take the holster off and put it back on again. Not that I like carrying that way, but carrying for 50% of trip is better than not carrying at all. I might have to take you up n that discount before September.

BTW, welcome to the forum, BeltsterMan, we're glad to have you join us. We are always happy to have another leather craftsman help us answer holster questions.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Just An Additional Thought

Concerning Reholstering.

If you are civilian & you are ever involved in a self~defensive firefight you probably are not going to reholster your weapon until you are 100% Positive that the threat is over.

And then...when the Police show up...they (for sure) are not going to allow you to reholster your firearm anyway. You can be SURE of that.

You are likely going to be SLOWLY putting your firearm on the street or sidewalk & ouch!!! maybe even...kicking it away from you!
    Or...if you're Lucky...just walking backwards away from it with your fingers locked on top of your sweaty head.
    Reholstering will probably not be a problem if you ever need to legally USE your firearm.

Since I am in PA. & can pretty much go anywhere with my carry firearm...I never usually "UN & RE" Holster my firearm during the day. It just stays holstered.

ONE AREA where NOT being able to EASILY reholster your firearm IS a troublesome problem is when you are practicing your draw from that holster numerous times in a row.
    That would be a slight problem but, you could learn to live with it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I am a little concernded about the described reholstering technique. Doesn't that put the muzzle in close proximity to your support hand? Granted, your finger shouldn't be on the trigger, but I've trained myself to never cover off on any part of myself.
    Shooters' Legacy

safety

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    I am a little concernded about the described reholstering technique. Doesn't that put the muzzle in close proximity to your support hand? Granted, your finger shouldn't be on the trigger, but I've trained myself to never cover off on any part of myself.
    Amen to that, brother! Everyone I train to shoot (friends & family) I say it over and over: "Never let the muzzle of the gun cover anything you are unwilling to destroy" (nod to J. Cooper). As I stated, I find my left thumb (in the holster-slot) with the front sight, not the muzzle, so my thumb is never in any danger. On the subject, I make an ambidextrous-crossdraw Beltster, and have some safety concerns about crossdraw carry of a defensive weapon. Some guys like to go to crossdraw while they're driving, so I offer a rig I call the "Carjacker Special" to address this desire, but I'm increasingly uneasy with the path of the bore as it is drawn from crossdraw. FBI kidney position is THE position for concealed carry, which I find completely comfortable, safe and accessible, even driving all day in the car or truck. Your thoughts on crossdraw? Best regards, Scott

Beltster

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Well, it does look like an interesting design which, if it worked the way it's designed to work would resolve the problem I have always had in going into places that I can't carry my gun. Here in Arizona we can't carry anywhere alcohol is served so when I take the wife to dinner I almost always have to leave the gun in the car. On those occasions I usually carry either in a fanny pack or Mexican style so I don't have to take the holster off and put it back on again. Not that I like carrying that way, but carrying for 50% of trip is better than not carrying at all. I might have to take you up n that discount before September.

BTW, welcome to the forum, BeltsterMan, we're glad to have you join us. We are always happy to have another leather craftsman help us answer holster questions.
    Bumper, first let me thank you for your part in providing this site, which is the best forum I've yet seen on the subject. The level of thoughful and intelligent exchange is impressive.
    I came up with the Beltster in New Orleans, before CCW laws came into effect there. I was in and out of bars and clubs with friends often, and carried all the time. I needed to! And saved my and my fiance's life one time, big time. Now that CCW is legal in all the places I frequent, and I have a carry permit, I adhere strictly to the law, which is not always convenient, or may I say prudent.The Beltster is even more useful now than it was when I came up with it, what with all the legal restrictions on carry. At last count in Texas there were about 14 places you couldn't legally carry a gun.
    In any case I'd like to make you a Beltster. If you like it, you can pay me. If you don't, just return. Business gets a little slow in the dog days of summer, and besides, I'd like another honest review.
    Best regards, BeltsterMan (Scott)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links