the belster - Page 3

the belster

This is a discussion on the belster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BeltsterMan In any case I'd like to make you a Beltster. If you like it, you can pay me. If you don't, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the belster

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by BeltsterMan
    In any case I'd like to make you a Beltster. If you like it, you can pay me. If you don't, just return. Business gets a little slow in the dog days of summer, and besides, I'd like another honest review.
    Best regards, BeltsterMan (Scott)
    Great, BeltsterMan, as long as you understand it would have to be an honest review. And, if I like it I certainly would pay for it, if not, I'll send 'er back to Bandera.

If you would PM what you need from me, I get right back at ya....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeltsterMan
    Amen to that, brother! Everyone I train to shoot (friends & family) I say it over and over: "Never let the muzzle of the gun cover anything you are unwilling to destroy" (nod to J. Cooper). As I stated, I find my left thumb (in the holster-slot) with the front sight, not the muzzle, so my thumb is never in any danger. On the subject, I make an ambidextrous-crossdraw Beltster, and have some safety concerns about crossdraw carry of a defensive weapon. Some guys like to go to crossdraw while they're driving, so I offer a rig I call the "Carjacker Special" to address this desire, but I'm increasingly uneasy with the path of the bore as it is drawn from crossdraw. FBI kidney position is THE position for concealed carry, which I find completely comfortable, safe and accessible, even driving all day in the car or truck. Your thoughts on crossdraw? Best regards, Scott
    We had a thread going here on crossdraw a while back. I don't like it as I believe it makes the gun easier to get in a gun grab situation, and then the gun is already pointed at me if successfully grabbed. KC135 was a our resident proponent of crossdraw.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Here is the link to the crossdraw thread:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ight=crossdraw
    Shooters' Legacy

Senior Moderator
    A couple of things about crossdraw...

The kidney position is OK...but not the best or the quickest.
    It is the most secure. If you have to draw on a carjacker, you are going to have to roll toward the door to access the gun...and this puts you at a disavantage by forcing you to lean into the attacker. If he is quick enough to grab you, you are already off balance. Try it. Grab the gun from a righthanded draw while siting in a vehicle and see what happens. Your left shoulder will dip down, exposing more of your head, and if the perp grabs you as your clear leather you stand an exellent chance of shooting your self in the arm that is trying to hold him off.

Crossdraw allows you to draw from across the body while leaning away from an attacker.If you have to you can almost lay in the seat to increase distance. Your support arm acts as a shield and your support hand is in a positon that if you have to fire several times there is no danger of shooting yourself accidently. It is also very comfortable when driving.

A couple of years ago...after much discussion about the virtues of crossdraw vs. standard carry in a vehicle, myself and several other deputies decided to put our money where our mouths were and several of us tried it with Simunitions. It was enlightening to say the least.

The scenario was this...

a perp walked up to the car with a rubber "tire iron" and tried to accost you. We mixed it up so that it wasnt obvious what was gonna happen...we tried to put as much an element of surprise in it as we could. Sometimes the perp would try to get you...other times he would simply walk up and say that he had a flat tire and needed help.

The hip carry was slow and often resulted in getting whacked with the "tire iron" before one could clear leather. Dropping the left shoulder to "roll out" to give your hand more room to get the gun and bring it up front put you at a severe disadvantage as you would inadvertantly place your head right there where the perp could whack it.

If you got whacked before you could shoot the scenario was over and the perp declared the winner. If you could shoot first the driver won the scenario.

After swapping roles several times the obvious conclusion to those that participated was that the crossdraw was superior in every way. Drawing your gun automatically put your pistol in the ready position, all you had to do was drop your elbow and you were in the perps face. If the perp was stupid enough to try to stroke you...simply leaning out of the way gave the perp enough obstuctions between the roof of the car, the steering wheel ,the window frame and the headrest that there was not really enough leverage to swing a tire iron and he would have to lean in the window and totally commit. Your left arm could be used to try to fend off the perp and at worst you might take a hit to the arm which would be surviable.

When wearing seatbelts, it was found that most had to take the time to undo them otherwise a tight waistbelt would hinder the draw. On the other hand, with a crossdraw you didnt need to undo, even with the shoulder belt on you could still lean out of it without any problem. Wearing the seatbelt, which most folks seem to do nowadays, is one thing that most people forget about when carrying in a vehicle. It can and will foul your draw if not done perfectly. With the crossdraw it is not an issue. While it may not be the best fo everyday carry when going about ones day, I personally think that its the way to go in a vehicle if one spends any amount of time traveleing.

I have seriously considered getting another Bandera Leather belt with not only the 4:00 position, but one with a crossdraw slot as well. I think that it would be great to have as one could swap over fairly easy. I cant think of any other method wear that could be acheived with so much ease unless one wore two holsters.

Anyhow...I'm no expert but thats my .02 cents on the issue...

How about this then:

Everybody gets a crossdraw beltster. They wear their strongside rig of choice as normal. When getting into the vehcile the firearm is removed from said rig and put into the belster while driving and returned to the carry rig when not in the vehicle. Surely the belster is of good enough quality leather to serve as a CCW belt. :) :) :) :) :)

Another option would be to simply put you "truck/car" gun in the belster upon entering the vehicle so you wouldn't have to be switching your weapon back and forth.
    Shooters' Legacy

Senior Moderator
    Yeah...thats what Im talking about....

I do wear it as a CCW. I just pull out the shirt and its good.

Assistant Administrator
    You guys are giving me ideas! I have a definite wish to be able to carry cross draw when driving but otherwise want std OWB 3 o'clock as usual. I must give this more thought - Scott could well be hearing from me!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wow, is this a cool group or what?! Big thanks to HotGuns for the best coverage of the "carjacker: strong-side or crossdraw?" issue I've ever read anywhere! My concern was the pistola being drawn from crossdraw, when the muzzle crosses/covers the left arm, but could be I'm getting paranoid in my advancing years (or over-concerned with product liability issues). After all, we're finger off the trigger until engaged on target, and 1911 users are wiping off the safety just before they're on target....or at least that's how we've got ourselves trained. I guess I worry about the very stressful moments in which we might rush things just enough to have an AD.

Beltster order

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Great, BeltsterMan, as long as you understand it would have to be an honest review. And, if I like it I certainly would pay for it, if not, I'll send 'er back to Bandera.

If you would PM what you need from me, I get right back at ya....
    Bumper, might be best to email me at keycam@earthlink.net with specs, including accurate belt size, gun, color, etc. I want nothing ever but the truth, or as close as I can get, and I thank ye in advance. Scott

Administrator

Lightbulb You Guys Just Gave Me A BRIGHT IDEA

Since the Beltster Holster is built right into the belt...Would it not be possible to install MORE THAN ONE holster position into/onto the very same belt????
    Then you could change firearm positions just by moving your firearm to the other location on the belt.

THE MULTIPLE BELTSTER ....I want a free one if you decide to make multiple Beltsters!

Senior Moderator
    QKShooter...

If you check out his website, you'll see that the mutiple slot option is avaiable, it just costs a bit more.

My only concern is that the belster does hold the gun rather tightly to the body. Im wondering if the crossdraw option would be too tight. Using a Fobus Roto Paddle and fine tuning it for crossdraw puts the gun at pretty radical angle. On a gun that had more than about a 4 inch barrel, the most accessible postion put its near vertical with the belt...so Im not convinced that the crossdraw option would work...maybe the Belsterman could clear that up for me. It might work if it could be placed over the left pocket but it would'nt be good if it were too far around because you would have to reach across your body too much to access the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Since the Beltster Holster is built right into the belt...Would it not be possible to install MORE THAN ONE holster position into/onto the very same belt????
    Then you could change firearm positions just by moving your firearm to the other location on the belt.

THE MULTIPLE BELTSTER ....I want a free one if you decide to make multiple Beltsters!
    Hey, man, I've been making them for years! Usually FBI kidney strong-side, and crossdraw weak-side. One guy even ordered a 4 position Belster (!) with ambidextrous strong-side AND crossdraw. It works, but seems a little excessive to me.
    Anyway I make lots of the "Carjacker Special" models and people seem satisfied with them.

Beltster,

I came to learn of your product while researching Yaqui style slides for 1911s and then secondarily came across this thread.
    You can expect to get an e-mail or call from me toward a Carjacker Special if not a custom three way in ambi with weakside crossdraw as I'm an actual ambi (shoot & everything else) who most often plays chaeuffer for the family.

I think this product concept just may turn out to be a perfect solution for CCW use.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Just want to say welcome Beltsterman. I seem to remember seeing that holster on Chuck Norris while he was playing a Texas Ranger. Was that yours? Again welcome and I will consider your $10 offer seriously.

CE,

Slightly better than just sticking in the waist band of your pants...I'll go with my MaxConV methinks.

Regards,

Fred
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links