Just curious, why don't custom leather makers raise their prices ?

This is a discussion on Just curious, why don't custom leather makers raise their prices ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The supply seems to fall far short of the demand here, which causes both the makers and the purchasers headaches. Why not raise prices to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just curious, why don't custom leather makers raise their prices ?

Just curious, why don't custom leather makers raise their prices ?

The supply seems to fall far short of the demand here, which causes both the makers and the purchasers headaches. Why not raise prices to lower the demand. They would just have to keep adjusting price increases up until it balances.

The result for the makers would be to make as much or more money by making fewer holsters, more time for customer service, less customers to have to deal with. The purchaser would get their order faster and better customer service as well, due to the decreased workload of the maker.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Shhhhhhh!!!!! Have you lost your mind?

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ozshadow View Post
    The supply seems to fall far short of the demand here, which causes both the makers and the purchasers headaches. Why not raise prices to lower the demand. They would just have to keep adjusting price increases up until it balances.

The result for the makers would be to make as much or more money by making fewer holsters, more time for customer service, less customers to have to deal with. The purchaser would get their order faster and better customer service as well, due to the decreased workload of the maker.
    And to those who then find they can't afford the product and because of that are denied access to the best equipment for their defensive needs possible....well......just let them eat cake! Right?
    Second Best is not an option

VIP Member
    Because then they would be "used car salesmen"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Nope. You could have just said it was for altruistic reasons.

I personally would love to give thousands of dollars to St. Jude and the Shriners Hospitals for Children, but I simply cannot.

I know even Milt Sparks has a wait, but even so, you guys are better suited to handle the load. Take any one-man shop that makes an excellent product for too low of a price, and his sidejob/hobby can suddenly explode into a nightmare of overwhelming orders.

VIP Member
    [Sarcasm]
    Maybe Hillary can help....................

She wants universal health care that everybody else will pay for, maybe we can get a gubmint program that will subsidize custom holsters for us......
    [/sarcasm]
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Mostly because even though they are comparatively small custom shops they are still in competition with the larger and more production type holster makers.
    If the price difference is too much higher then many people will just grab a production leather rig and "Oh...Well" live with it.
    Also most holster makers are some of the greatest people in the world and they are honestly not out to crook people.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    To be perfectly honest, in my experience, raising the price does absolutely nothing to demand. I thought I'd see a difference, but there has been no slowing to be seen.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Shhhhhhh!!!!! Have you lost your mind?

I know right

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

To be perfectly honest, in my experience, raising the price does absolutely nothing to demand. I thought I'd see a difference, but there has been no slowing to be seen.
    That might be because your work is so highly valued that you do not realize how much so.

There is always a price that will bend the curve. It takes time to find. Small changes are a good thing. Eventually you will hit a price where orders take a turn. If you raised prices to $500 a holster, I think you would see a dramatic difference in demand (no, I am not advocating this, just using it as an extreme example)

I can appreciate the reasoning for Milt Sparks, but I do wish he had said it a bit differently.

Pricing is subject to a lot of things and customers often prioritize it differently from one other. Raising the prices does not always slow the ebb of demand.

We try and price our holsters at a price point that will allow the greatest number of people to purchase one. It does create a high demand.

Last edited by K-Man; October 15th, 2007 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozshadow View Post
    I can appreciate the reasoning for Milt Sparks, but I do wish he had said it a bit differently.
    I wish I could have said it differently, but the whole notion reeks of snobbery.

You aren't the first to suggest raising prices to what the market will bear. I have gotten numerous emails and phone calls in the past from others, suggesting I do as you suggest. I don't think any of those emails and phone calls had anything to do with any concern they may have had for the future success of my business, or for the welfare of any of my customers. The suggestion is generally made for purely selfish reasons, as those who have suggested as you do, also had a problem with any wait times, whether it is with us, or anyone else. Money was no object to those folks as long as they could get the product sooner, nor could they care less if it was an object to someone less endowed financially then they were.

We make a fair profit on our product and raise our prices only when necessary. But for those who are 'just getting by' in this business, maybe a serious consideration of your proposal is in order. A word of caution though. It's a lot easier to raise prices if you need to than it is to lower them later on.
    Second Best is not an option

Although the demand for leather holsters has surely increased, I belive the supply of cowhide is plentyful since we consume millions of cattle every year so the leather is in no shortage. I think if a holster maker raises prices too high, it will cause buyers to shift to a cheaper maker and logjam their output. That is why Sparks has a 6 month wait. They make a great product at a fair price. Rosen and kramer both make great leather but their prices are higher and thus have a shorter wait. You can buy a cowhide scabbard from Sparks for $82 or pay $115 from kramer or $140 from Rosen. It's easy to see why Sparks is so busy.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    A word of caution though. It's a lot easier to raise prices if you need to than it is to lower them later on.
    Tony,

I don't think I ever want to experiment with that. I can clearly see your point.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Let's talk reality. Someone demands - Someone supplies. Someone demands more, and this demand is industry wide. Obviously something has changed in the market place and that change has lasted a year. The change Might be here to stay. It might be time for the supplying Someone to change-- God forbid!--
    By the way(no names) If you have been paying attention a couple of the major players have made major changes.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links