Defensive Carry banner

Wearing Holsters & Skipping Belt Loops?

6K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  tankdriver 
#1 ·
A question here about wearing holsters right on your hip (I assume this would be the 3:00 or 6:00 position?) - to accommodate the holster, is it normal to skip the belt loop with your belt?

I received my new Beltman holster today (great product), and it seems to hold my Kramer Scabbard/P228 just fine without using the side belt loop. But I don't know if I'm asking for trouble this way.

#3 ·
If there is a loop between the holster loops or holes I thread the loop in the middle. I like the added support.

#4 ·
Never had a problem using all loops, out of one loop into one side of holster threw belt loop and out otherside of holster into another loop. Then again I do wear a 38 waist.

#9 ·
On a different note, when I pocket carry my j frame in my 511 pants (no I'm not tacticool, I'm cheap; they're old work pants) the waistband sags as the pants have no loop at 3 or 9, exposing my tucked shirt, or worse, underwear. Also adds to the "play" factor when I OWB.

#11 ·
Skipping the 3:00 belt loop is an old cop's trick if you drive often and walk relatively little. The skipped loop allows you push the holster forward for comfortable driving (not to mention better gun access when driving), then when you get out of the car, push it back to 4:00 or so.

#14 ·
Id say alot has to do with how many loops you have on the pants to begin with and if you have a gun belt of not. The stiffer the belt, obviously the better off its gonna work.
You can either put the loop behind the holster or on both sides of it....I wouldnt recommend skipping a loop.
Shoot well...........Eric

#15 ·
One reason I like 5.11 pants is the belt loops are positioned and spaced perfectly for my holster position at slightly past 3:00. I have had other trousers that required me to skip a loop to obtain the right carry position. There isn't a problem if you do skip a loop with a good belt.

#16 ·
Loops keep the belt from moving and hold the holster in place, both vertically and along the belt line. If the belt loops are in the right place to support the carry placement you choose, I can't see how skipping a loop provides any benefit.

#17 ·
I can't think of a time when I had to skip a loop. Sometimes depending on the jeans, I'll get all belted up and discover I need to move my holster to the othe side of a loop though! :blink:

#18 ·
Never skipped a loop here, either...it's easy enough to move the holster 1/2 inch either way...:tumbleweed:

#20 ·
Not if you've had hip replacements...then you have to factor in daylight savings time...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

#22 ·
Run the belt through the first slot in the holster, then through the belt loop, then through the second slot in the holster. Works great. Never skip a loop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.