IWB extra pant sizes?

IWB extra pant sizes?

This is a discussion on IWB extra pant sizes? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new here... do not have my CCW yet, I am taking the class on the 27th, and will do the paper work after ...

IWB extra pant sizes?

I am new here... do not have my CCW yet, I am taking the class on the 27th, and will do the paper work after that. I live in Iowa, and my county is just about a "shall issue" county, or so I have been told. I am cleaning out my closet today, I have lost 35 pounds this year and was about to donate all of my pants that are 3 sizes too big... my question is this.. I am a small man, 5'5", 140lbs.. I will be carrying a sig p239 .40 in an iwb holster. Holster has yet to be bought, gun I have had for years... Do I need to keep the larger pants to have room for the holster and gun?

Thanks,
    John

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Speaking for myself i buy pants 1" loose with my normal carry in mind ( a thin kahr ) and 2" for almost all double stack or revolvers . This is what is comfort to me , but note that i am not of the newer generations and like my jeans to fit not sag .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I would keep one or 2 pairs of the bigger pants. yes it does help having an extra inch or two of play when carrying IWB. it gets ver uncomfortable trying to jam a pistol into snug fitting pants. I prefer my pants to fit and usually go OWB but I recently lost some weight and have alot of pants to chose from now :)

If I buy jeans I will buy the next size up from normal i.e. 36X-- rather than 34X--. If I am buying slacks I opt for the hidden expandable waistband type and go with my normal 34X--. My carry these days is a 4.25" 1911 in an M-Tac.

Oh for what its worth I am 6'1" 190ish lbs.

MikeV

All my pants, of many, are sized to accomodate the extra girth required for IWB carry. I only have two pairs of pants that aren't sized that way, and they were gifts.

For me it's such a habit to buy pants 2" larger in the waist that I don't even think about it. Also, my suits are "tailored" to hide my gun as well. The pant leg is altered for the Ankle Holster and the waistband and suitcoats are "tailored" as well. The suitcoats also has a "Patch" sewn in it to prevent the gun from wearing out the lining.

I've been carrying so long that I don't even think about it. I have found that Men's Warehouse is really good about altering clothing to fit around guns and it doesn't "freak" them out. They deal with a lot of us LEO's. In fact, one of their salesmen at my local shop used to be an LEO and made some very helpful suggestions to me.

Biker

Thanks!!

I will hold on to my larger sized pants for now.. I also like a snug fit pair of pants, so three sizes too big may be a little much, but I can always have them tailored if need be, one size can be adjusted, three sizes can't... I asked. I don't often wear jeans, mostly work casual, khakis, and dress slacks. M-tac is the holster I am looking at, I am following a couple of other threads and looking at links, I am left handed so my choices are a little more limited.
    One more question... When you carry at 4 - 5 o'clock... I can guess that 12 o'clock is the navel?
    I am sure I will have many, many more questions... I love this site, the wealth of knowledge here is great... it is a very good learning tool, for someone like me!!

i wear the same pants. no sizes bigger.
    any yes 12 oclock is your navel.
    i personally carry at 3 oclock because thats where i have a flat spot and the gun happens to sit nicely there.
    believe me you will spend a LONG time moving the gun around your wast finding the best spot.

Bigger pants are a must. It wasn't all that long ago I wore a 32x34. Then I got married and got fat - my wife says I'm just healthy. I'm probably 5-10 pounds heavier than fat-free. Anyhow, since my old 32x34 pants still fit I figured 34x34 would be a good size for carry. Well they fit about the same as the 32s...I guess I just fill whatever I'm wearing. I'm 6'0" 185 FWIW.

Austin

I wear a 34 waist regularly but I buy 36 for IWB for my 1911

Wearing trousers larger to accomodate IWB is a very wise thing to do and IMHO just about mandatory. When I buy a new pair I take them into the dressing room with my gun and holster and check to make sure that the pants and the gun are compatible. I sugggest that you do the same with your old pants and your carry rig to see just what works. Always use a good gun belt as that tends to make a difference too.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

comfortable fit

two inches larger if you wear IWB, one inch larger if OWB. That's minimum ... and not just pants but also your belt.

Then you gotta ask yourself if you are going to get bigger anway - a man generally gets bigger and not smaller - so don't be afraid to go few inches extra because if you carry and get another year or two you are going to need it.

My own experience is to definitely keep the larger, at least for now. I've had to go on a mini pants buying spree so that I can continue carrying. I'd found myself rotating the same 4 pants around because they were the only ones that felt comfortable with an IWB holster on. The extra inches makes CCW much more enjoyable and if they are a tad loose that's why you wear a belt to take up any slack.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I wear 34" Wranglers with and without a Ruger in the waistband. However, I also have a girl's rear-end and have to buy jeans that are a little big in the waist so they fit my bum. I don't have any trouble keeping my P95, but don't know if I had a regular rear.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Links