IWB El Paso holster for 3" GP100

This is a discussion on IWB El Paso holster for 3" GP100 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my new "Covert Force" IWB Holster for my GP100 from El Paso today: http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-9-c-...e-holster.aspx I also have a double speed loader holder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB El Paso holster for 3" GP100

IWB El Paso holster for 3" GP100

I just got my new "Covert Force" IWB Holster for my GP100 from El Paso today: http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-9-c-...e-holster.aspx
    I also have a double speed loader holder for my moon clips from them as well. Awesome workmanship!

I normally use OWB holsters...love my #9 FIST...but thought I'd keep an open mind and try one of these high speed IWB things that everyone seems to be using. This is going to take some getting used to...that and a little breaking in methinks. I'll take a walk-about in the woods this weekend with this item and give a "hands on" report next week.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice.
    Looking forward to a report on the holster.
    wyo-man

I too await a report, even if I have to read it on another forum.

I was looking at your holster and reached the conclusion that it wouldn't work for me. It seems to be a "Hi-Ride" and I need a lower ride, as I have a short torso.

We will have to compare notes after I get my Summer Special II from Milt Sparks.

Biker

Howdy BikerRN...good to see you again. I would have loved the Milt Sparks that you are ordering. For some reason, I did not believe they made holsters for the GP100 3" model. Did you call them and make a personal order with the big guy himself? I await your report/photos on their superb product. I originally called Kramer Holsters and they informed me that the Ruger 3" model just did not have enough users for them to add that holster to their line-up. Not what I wanted to hear! The perfect gun needs the perfect holster. BTW, when you carry IWB...is there always that gap between pants...belt...waist or is this just a break-in thing. I also note that one must wear an undershirt...hate the metal to skin contact. I have a "Bare Asset" from High Noon for my .45 ACP and have never found that sweet spot for it yet. My IWB problem is that I wear my pants on my hips...not my waist...so, if I get larger waisted pants they just do not feel/fit correctly in the length, butt, or thighs. Thank goodness I live in the Northwest where OWB is so easy to conceal with jackets and coats.

Okay, I'll bite. I've been holding off waiting for someone else to bring it up so I wouldn't look like a dummy, but what's with the moon clips? Did someone customize it for the clips or was it a special model? Nice grips too.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

The whole revolver is a custom job by Gemini Customs. I've always wanted moon clips for my revolver cuz I'm so darned slow with speed loaders/speed strip loading. These are a bit faster...just eject and drop in the moon clips...much faster and I do not even have to take my eyes off the target. The grips were made special for my very small hands. What can I say...I wanted to create the perfect revovler...at least my idea of a perfect one.

I am, however, still experimenting with holsters.

I'll let you know about the Milt Sparks in a couple of months. I may place an order with Matt Del Fatti too.

It took me awhile to get used to an IWB holster...but after carrying it, I've come to the conclusion that this little holster is pretty comfortable after all. I normally will carry it with a cardigan full zip sweater (I still like the vest) ...and despite the picture, I like an undershirt in order to keep the metal off the skin. It rides well and the "rough out" leather on the outside holds the holster very well when drawing. I can see why many like IWB as the belt holds the weapon quite close and firm into your side...feels very secure. I really like El Paso. The neat thing is that the snap can be replaced if I want to wear this with larger width belts.

Does the fact that there is no forward loop on that holster let it shift around with a heavy gun like the GP? Do you have to cinch up your belt extra tight to keep it steady?

All my IWB holsters have two clips spaced as far apart as possible to maximize stability, as I carry some heavy guns as well (4" heavy barrel S&W Model 65).

Actually...there are many IWB holsters out there with just the rear loop only. The idea is for it to "ride" with the body movement. To be honest, I do not feel any movement at all...feels like it is pasted to me. The rough side out...also grips the inside of the pants...very smooth on the draw.

Very nice GP100, love the Gemini custom touch on both the SP101 and GP100's.

VIP Member
    Dawgvr I also own a El Paso holster. Not the same setup as yours though. I bought the street combat holster with double mag pouch and 1 3/4 inch belt tapper down to an inch. Had all the leather fish scaled stamped. It was the first custom holster set I every bought, so I thought. My holster is suede lined which I thought was a plus but by reading post and threads here, it sounds like a bad thing. I even had a leather artist on here made it sound like it not really a custom outfit, but mass produce without really saying that. Do you know if their holsters are mass produced? I like to know for sure. I was so proud of this outfit and it sure a good looking outfit but don't brag about it anymore because now I'm not sure if I know what I was buying. But on the plus side for me, the rig looks beautiful and fits me perfectly. Just curious on the mass produce thing and the suede lining.

Well...I've only purchased holsters from High Noon, FIST, Hume and now El Paso. My El Paso is the finest made holster of the lot...it may not be hand made but it sure was individually treated. If you had yours hand-tooled...I'd say that was made by man...not a machine. The other El Paso holsters I've seen on my local range were awesome to behold...pure works of art if you ask me. I know quality when I see it. Also, my High Noon was lined...made for quick draw and endurance...it's a good thing and not offered by every holster manufacturer.

dawgfvr, is that the synthetic lining I read about on their site ??

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfvr View Post
    Well...I've only purchased holsters from High Noon, FIST, Hume and now El Paso. My El Paso is the finest made holster of the lot...it may not be hand made but it sure was individually treated. If you had yours hand-tooled...I'd say that was made by man...not a machine. The other El Paso holsters I've seen on my local range were awesome to behold...pure works of art if you ask me. I know quality when I see it. Also, my High Noon was lined...made for quick draw and endurance...it's a good thing and not offered by every holster manufacturer.

VIP Member
    Thanks dawgfvr for the info. I'm glad to here someone like their El Paso as much as I like mine. As you my other holsters are Don Hume. I understand that El Paso Saddlery been in business for many, many years. When I first got it I didn't even want to cover it up with my shirt but knew I had to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links