5.11 Holster Shirt

This is a discussion on 5.11 Holster Shirt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was recently at the Scottsdale Gun Club and they had a rack of 5.11 holster shirts. I had seen them in catalogs before, but ...

Thread: 5.11 Holster Shirt

5.11 Holster Shirt

I was recently at the Scottsdale Gun Club and they had a rack of 5.11 holster shirts. I had seen them in catalogs before, but never in-person. I tried one on and decided to buy it because the 5.11 gear was on-sale that day.

I have to say this is one terrific way to carry a small handgun. My P3-AT fit nice and snug in the holster pocket underneath my arm and it is easy to forget that you have a handgun. My Kahr CW-9 also fits in the holster pocket, but it is less comfortable. Almost any sub-compact handgun such as a Glock 26, Smith & Wesson M&P9c, etc. will work perfectly with these shirts.

You can wear almost any type of shirt over the holster shirt and the gun will be completely hidden. For those of who have not seen one, they are body-hugging t-shirts similar to the Under Armor athletic shirts.

http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp...3&number=40011

It is probably not the best option for a quick draw, but I find it far more comfortable than using an IWB holster, particularly when I am sitting down or driving.

Is anyone else using the holster shirt and how do you like them?
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

2. Remove Ads

A lot of guys I work with have them for plain clothes work. Wearing it and actually drawing from it to save your life are 2 completely different experiences. I guess it's better to have a gun on you and not have quick access to it than not have one at all. YMMV, but I find AIWB very fast and comfortable for sitting and driving.

There are several threads in recent past toward this specific product amongst other competitors.

Search...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by symr00 View Post
    A lot of guys I work with have them for plain clothes work. Wearing it and actually drawing from it to save your life are 2 completely different experiences. I guess it's better to have a gun on you and not have quick access to it than not have one at all. YMMV, but I find AIWB very fast and comfortable for sitting and driving.
    No matter which way you carry, you will always have pros & cons for each carry setup. Open carry may have quick access to the firearm - but you have already tipped off the bad guys in advance - so they may beat you to the punch (shot). IWB is not bad - but then add a tucked shirt and speed could be an issue. But you are correct - to have a firearm on you is better than not - at least you could have a chance. So there is no perfect carry situation for every scenerio one might run up against.

I had one and didn't like it. For some reason the holster just didn't fit right and without the holster the gun goes wondering around inside the whole vest

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Don't like the 5.11 shirt, but am a fan of t-shirt holsters if you use the right one. Can't disagree with you more symr00. Have used a t-shirt holster for years, and drawing from it virtually no more time than drawing from a in-the-pants that I can still make qualification score times with it easily, and two shots from holster in 1.5 sec isnt chump change. The difference is that I practice with it alot, most never do. Reminds me of the Deputy Sheriff out of Harris County that sued Safariland for him getting shot and not being able to draw his weapon from a SSIII holster he had bought the day before. Guess he missed the part in the instructions about not using it until you are comfortable with it and skipped the recommended 250 draws.

As to jayhawk glad you like it and hope it works better for you than it did for me.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Lead Moderator
    Glad you like it. I sold mine, it never stopped itching , nor did it hold either of my carry guns very well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Don't like them...I like my gun in my belt...much faster retrieval...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Hey tersupt99...If I'm ever in Central Florida I'll put dinner on timmed shots with you using a belt holster with a snap and me using my t-shirt (under a shirt of course) LOL. Might loose, but it would be close.
    Last edited by Scott; December 24th, 2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Links