Miami Classic Adjustment/Fit instructions

Miami Classic Adjustment/Fit instructions

This is a discussion on Miami Classic Adjustment/Fit instructions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had one of these for years and really never used it - I followed Galco's fit instructions where the black X plate connecting the ...

Thread: Miami Classic Adjustment/Fit instructions

Question Miami Classic Adjustment/Fit instructions

I've had one of these for years and really never used it - I followed Galco's fit instructions where the black X plate connecting the harness ended up between my shoulder blades, gun is horizontal, and both the gun and the mag pouches hang to where they are just above my belt. Feels good but just doesn't "seem" right - should everything hang that low? (however, I can cover the whole thing up with a leather vest). Went back to IWB and forgot it.

So, I find out I have to have minor surgery, gallbladder out, on Wednesday and figure I sure won't want any weight on my belt (or a belt) for quite a while after that since I'll probably just be sore.

Got the Galco back out of the holster box and started in on it last night, reducing the harness length until the mag pouch was right up under my armpit and the gun (1911 3") was just about the same and muzzle slightly down. At that point, the black X plate is right behind my shirt collar, pulling my shirt up into a wad, and the whole thing is uncomfortable.
    If this is important, I'm 5' 8" with a 42" chest, so there's several feet of extra harness if I have it up high and tight.

I know that some of you all have great luck with this holster.
    What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to get my brain to figure this out....
    Any advice would sure be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance ---

General consensus across CCW boards is that you want the gun and mag higher, not lower. Lower = sways off your side too much, thus printing; and worse, is much harder to draw since you have all that harness length slack to take up before the gun comes free.

I couldn't get the MC to work for me and sold mine. I ratcheted up the gun side as tight as the loop holes allowed, and the gun was finally held reasonably well. But the mag carriers were way too tight and too far away to reach.

MCs look great on people in TV, because shoulder holsters in general work best on exactly the sort of body type (long arms + super-narrow, emaciated torso) you see on TV.

It took me about 4 days of fooling and wearing my shoulder holster (not M.C.) to get it situated right. High and tight. Then I finally cut the extra lengths off.

It sounds like you have the front straps pulled too short. Loosen the front straps up, shorten the back straps to lower the "X". ya don't wanne see that "x" poking up over yer cover shirt. Once you get it close ("X" lowered) then its very small adjustments to perfectly position it. And as I said i wore it, then adjusted it, then wore it more (hours), then made another small (very small) adjustment, wore for more hours. DO NOT GET IN A HURRY to get it perfect...it won't pay off. Get it close and go from there.
    I also had to add holes in the straps for the small movements. Its yours so punch extra holes if need be...don't be afraid of that detail...you own it...it hasta fit you not anybody else.
    But time and small adjustments is what i would say is the key.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Administrator

Galco...
    They give you a LOT of extra strap material to play around with adjustments.
    I wear my firearm just below the armpit with the muzzle slightly canted up.
    The mag holder I wear about midway between the belt and the armpit.
    My firearm is high enough up that the rig is a slight pain in the butt to get on and off. I need to sort of contort in order to remove it.

Once you get it adjusted to where it feels right then cut all that extra strap material off. Just get rid of it.

Wearing a shoulder rig that low down near the belt is only for TV Police plainclothes detective shows. I don't know how that even ever got started but, it's not correct.

Warning...if you are overweight then it may be difficult for you to draw from that high under the gun side armpit. If that is the case then a shoulder holster is probably not for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the advice!!
    Sounds like my best bet is put it on and then adjust it every few hours if needed (I've got all this weekend to do this, since I'll be at home).
    SOLOLUCKY - bet you're right, I had the front straps too tight and the back too loose.
    QK - agreed on the "a lot" of extra strap material! I'll get everything moved up, I like your idea of the muzzle slightly up, and then see how it goes.
    I'm not really expecting this to be my new number 1 carry method, but just hate being without my little Colt - and like I said, I doubt I'll want much around my middle after Wednesday (except ice packs)!

thanks again!!

David III
    If you go to CCWSUPPLY.BIZ They have an info page that will help. You can download it for free if you want.
    GOOD LUCK
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

i wear the miami classic daily on the job. move the holster and mag pouch higher up.

try to get them just about under your arm pits. they give you lots of straps to work with. after you get it where you want, cut the extra off.

you want the black x on your back, just down from your neck,,,not high on your neck. start out with all straps fully out, then work each side up one hole at a time (front and back) untill you are just under your arm pit (about four fingers down from your pits). you want the gun/mag above your elbbow and below your pit for best fit and control.

hope this help some, play around with it, it will work out.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Good thread... pics anyone??
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Administrator
    I have a lot of older shoulder rigs. Give me a day or two and I'll turn them up and pop a pic or two.
    I still have lots of my stuff stored in boxes up on my 3rd floor.
    Stuff I've not even unpacked yet...from 10 or 15 years ago.

All - just a follow up. I took your advice, ended up just where frankmayo is describing. Fits perfect. I might even get to like it a lot!
    Thanks again!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well dave if you like the classic i wont even describe the comfort of the old jackass rig ( which by the way all my galco holsters ect.. fit fine , but the jackass has thicker straps to help spread the weight .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Most folks report their gun side shoulder being sore after about about a week or so of full size/weight shoulder carry.
    That is because it's not natural for any weight at all to be pulling downward in that area for many hours a day.
    Then after a week your body/shoulder will acclimate to it and as that area toughens up and desensitizes you'll not notice the weight of the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Well dave if you like the classic i wont even describe the comfort of the old jackass rig ( which by the way all my galco holsters ect.. fit fine , but the jackass has thicker straps to help spread the weight .

I sure don't want to hear this! Now I'll have another holster to buy

Sponsored Links