Smart Carry Holster with Tucked in Shirt?

This is a discussion on Smart Carry Holster with Tucked in Shirt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can the SC holster be worn with a shirt that get tucked in and if so, will the shirt being tucked in allow others to ...

Thread: Smart Carry Holster with Tucked in Shirt?

Smart Carry Holster with Tucked in Shirt?

Can the SC holster be worn with a shirt that get tucked in and if so, will the shirt being tucked in allow others to see the butt of the gun or a bulge?

2. Remove Ads

I wear mine in a variety of configurations, both tucked and untucked. It rides low enough that the bulge caused byt the butt can be obscured by your belt. Depending on the gun, you can adjust the height and positioning for optimum concealment

I like to use my SmartCarry with an untucked shirt, just to help obscure any possible bulges. However, with a flat enough pistol (I have a Kahr) and the right pair of pants I can and do use it with a tucked shirt from time to time.

At the same time, MOST people won't notice a bulge anyway. I've thought about it, and I know I wouldn't notice if another man had a bulge. If I did notice for some reason, I sure wouldn't tell anyone I did.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

As was said, it depends on the gun. My medium size hardly prints at all, yet if I put my 4" in the medium holster, the grip does print. I found 3 possible solutions:

1) I rotated the gun 180 degrees, meaning it was now a left-handed draw in the right holster (I'm right handed). That put the bulge centerline on my zipper, which was not noticeable due to the normal way my jeans arch at that point when I sat down. Not the optimum, but it beat being printed.

2) With tighter dress pants, I put duct tape on the inside of my pants where the grip hit. That spread out the printing of the grip bottom. (I'm buying bigger pants next time, but currently dealing with the clothes I have.) Again, not optimum, but it helped.

3) I ordered a security Smartcarry, which has an extra full-length pouch behind the holster area. That pouch is big enough to swallow a 4" barrel with no printing. Using the big pouch degrades the draw just a bit versus the regular Smartcarry method, but I was carrying this piece as a backup to an IWB, so immediate draw was not as important as just having a BUG on me. I also ordered the security Smartcarry ambidextrous to allow me to place the larger gun in the left holster with grip angled for right-hand draw. The security ambi version gives me many options over the regular Smartcarry.

When nothing else is possible, the Smartcarry still works great. I'll have at least one from now on.

VIP Member
    I find the draw is easier with a tucked in shirt. You put the smartcarry over the shirt then pull up your pants. To draw you dont have to move the shirt out of the way. I carry a 642 in a Smartcarry and the grip imprint can be seen in certain pants. I found that pleated pants hide it better. The untucked shirt will hide any printing, but it makes for an already slow draw slower. I wear it both ways depending on what pants I have to wear at the time.

Much easier to draw with the shirt tucked in.
    IMO dress pants and dockers fit the SC the best.
    When I wear my 501 Levi's (loose) my PM9 seems a bit tight and the bulge more noticeable than I would like. Still, no one has noticed and I can always go untucked on 501 days!

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    Can the SC holster be worn with a shirt that get tucked in and if so, will the shirt being tucked in allow others to see the butt of the gun or a bulge?
    Smart Carry link http://www.smartcarry.com/scinvi.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Hondov65 View Post
    does it ever come unvelcro'ed accidently?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    does it ever come unvelcro'ed accidently?
    Mine never has, not even when I've left part of the velcro at the top exposed in order to stick to my underwear.

(Sometimes I flip the band of my underwear over the back only--not the front--so if it does ride up some in back, underwear will show instead of the smartcarry strap. This also helps keep the smartcarry from riding up in back.)

Links