Drawing from MTAC holster

Drawing from MTAC holster

This is a discussion on Drawing from MTAC holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the correct drawing method for MTAC? Do I use my thumb to press down the leather backing to help the draw or do ...

Question Drawing from MTAC holster

What is the correct drawing method for MTAC? Do I use my thumb to press down the leather backing to help the draw or do I just grip the gun and pull it out?

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Is this a new holster? Remember the kydex will break in a tad and the leather must take a bit of adjusting to the gun as it isn't formed to the gun. It will draw hard for a while about 20 to 30 draws then it should pull without a lot of effort and no need to thumb the leather. It should be adjusted already right from the box but if you need to take a 1/2 turn off the screws until it has the right retention for you.
    My MTAC does double duty as I have a half shell for my XD and Ruger. I bought it as a XD holster then added the Ruger half just this month. The Ruger drew hard for the 20 to 30 draws but now is perfect. The XD just by the guns profile drew like a dream from the get go. Hope this helps.

By the way what clips do you have on yours? What size belt do you wear?

My MTAC holster has V clips and I use 1.5" width beltman belt. I use my thumb to press down the leather backing. If I just grip the gun and pull it out, I'm also pulling my pants up.

I take it that this is a new carry rig for you? What is your body build like?

This holster defiantly likes a snug belt. Break in is essential. The leather is problably the more sticky of the two sufaces but like any leather will get better after break in. The Glock is a great choice for this holster. Flat slide and no large protusions.

Give it some time and draw draw draw. Unloaded of course.

I can easily draw my Glocks by the grip, no need to shove off the thumb on the leather. That upper portion of the leather is actually a slide shield to help prevent the gun from rubbing into your body. Wear it as often as possible to help the holster mold itself to you and adjust the tension as as needed, until the ease of draw suits you. I have mine adjusted so I can turn the holster upside down and it retains the gun, but is easily drawn. A snug sturdy belt will also help.
    Last edited by sass20485; October 21st, 2007 at 02:20 PM.

I had problems with 'sticking' with my MTAC as well. I wore it around the house for a couple of weeks, occasionally breaking retention and re-seating. Seems OK now.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I had problems with 'sticking' with my MTAC as well. I wore it around the house for a couple of weeks, occasionally breaking retention and re-seating. Seems OK now.

-john
    Same here when changing to the Ruger. I did notice a bit of Kydex dust on the Ruger so I just chalk that up to a tad tighter mold of the kydex. That problem has resolved its self. No holster is 100% from the first draw. All take a break in.
    All holsters that have retention are going to take some minimal effort to draw.
    I wear my MTAC with jeans and khaki shorts but all with a good belt tightened properly.
    Last edited by pleasantguywhopacks; October 21st, 2007 at 06:28 PM.

I've got the jclips and my Kahr comes right out by the grip.

Like MajorDude, I find my kahr is held firmly, but draws easily by the grip. It was a bit loose out of the box, so I tightened the kydex down a wee bit. Nice that one can adjust it a bit as it breaks in...

Mine was a little tight when I first got it, but beleave me it will break in and you will have to tighten it up a bit after you draw your gun a few times. now it draws perfect with no need to push on the leather.
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

FWIW I've found the tighter I tighten my belt the more retention this hoslter has. I try not to overtighten my belt now.

Quote Originally Posted by cryptojunkie View Post
    FWIW I've found the tighter I tighten my belt the more retention this hoslter has. I try not to overtighten my belt now.
    I guess snug would be a better term.

The only other problem I would say might be an issue is that some people that now carry haven't used belts at all. They might be inclined to keep it to loose. Or just a poor belt to begin with.
    I don't belong to this group as I am caloricaly challenged and need a belt!
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by cryptojunkie View Post
    I found that at first too, but after the holster breaks in, I think you'll find the draw is OK with the belt snugged down too.

At first the leather is flat. After a while you can see the mold of the firearm in the leather.

-john

Mine has loosened up quite a bit since I got it. Been wearing it everyday for last 2 months. The draw with a G27 is smooth. I have the open ended model for glocks. Both my G17 and G27 draw smoothly.

SY

Links