Blackhawk Serpa - Page 2

Blackhawk Serpa

This is a discussion on Blackhawk Serpa within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regardless what someone said about needing to reach the firearm with your other hand/arm - serpa is good. You are more likely to have your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa

Regardless what someone said about needing to reach the firearm with your other hand/arm - serpa is good. You are more likely to have your firearm removed from your holster. I prefer to have the gun more secured and the Blackhawk CQC w/Serpa does that. Great holster for OWB.

did not intend to ignit such a debate. From what I read it all comes down to preference and comfort. I too would like a leather holster, but dont want to wait weeks for one, and there are not many stores round here that keep a variety in stock.

Well, sorry for the stern tone, I freely acknowledge I am among betters here in nearly every category of knowledge, but I really feel this is a superior product, tested by friends in true combat, as well as myself during scuffles as a bounty hunter. It is ridiculously easy to perform gun retention techniques, and even harder for anyone who isnt you to get that weapon out, unless you are asleep, while still allowing you a smooth, and with 10 minutes practice, uninterrupted draw.

The drivel about your finger falling in the trigger simply isnt true, unless you are using the tool incorrectly, and honestly, no holster design can stop operator error. I feel its the best of most worlds, offering great retention, ease of use, and affordability, as well as good, sturdy, long-lasting wear.

I have a Blackhawk CQC with Serpa retention and find it to be a very good holster. Practical, comfortable, durable and secure. Carries my G-23 without any problems.

Not a supurb concealment rig, but certainly practical and adequate with the proper clothing.

Btw... Coal Creek Armory is now a stocking dealer of Gary Brommelands holsters so call them up and they may have one in stock for your gun.

I got my Max Con V for my XD9sc in 5 days from order. And that was on a holiday weekend.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I believe that the Serpa retention has been in extensive enough (tried and tested) actual use for long enough that if it was in any way problematic or troublesome - then all of the highly qualified professional folks using Serpa would (for sure) be using something else by now.
    The system is very good and BlackHawk has a 100% Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee so my suggestion would be to try one because you really have nothing to lose.

The issue as to if a civilian would want or need Serpa or just opt for the adjustable passive retention is really a separate issue.
    If you want or need the Serpa it will work for you as advertised.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The Serpa action can be easily jammed with a small pebble, although the chance is small it has happened during training classes. Then there's the finger-inside-trigger-guard-during-draw thing which has nearly reached SOB-carry-creates-paraplegics levels. Personally I'd have a hard time recommending it, to me the retention system doesn't seem worth the risk, although small, to have your handgun locked into the holster when you need it. I go by Murphy unless Occam trumps Murphy. For me, in this case, it doesn't.

Administrator
    The pebble jamming thing...I'm not really up on that to be perfectly honest with you'all. I can only say that as far as the Serpa retention is concerned I see a lot of BlackHawk rigs in PGH. in the DownTown Courthouse. Thay are empty when I see them AKA No Carry in the Courthouse including LEO but the BlkHawk & the Safariland seem to be the two dominant duty rigs.
    I'm just (best guessing) more Safariland.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've had my Blackhawk SERPA for a couple of months now and have tried to make it "not work"....I'm getting ready to head back to SWA for a year tour starting in the summer and want to test some gear before I go. I've been able to successfully draw from both a chest holster (a la vest mount) and thigh holster with a SERPA. Friends I know have carried the SERPA and have read online posts of folks who carried the SERPA in theater--with no problems.

Whereas the off-hand draw is of concern with the SERPA, that should be up to the individual to determine what is best for him or her.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I see SERPAs in "action" all of the time where I live. I had a meeting with a detective today; more than one other plainclothes members-of-service used SERPAs to tote their Glocks.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I've had my Blackhawk SERPA for a couple of months now and have tried to make it "not work"....I'm getting ready to head back to SWA for a year tour starting in the summer and want to test some gear before I go.
    FYI, I have gotten mine to "fail the draw" (practicing quick draws) only by pulling up on the gun before pushing the switch to release it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    FYI, I have gotten mine to "fail the draw" (practicing quick draws) only by pulling up on the gun before pushing the switch to release it.
    Rgr...I see that as a procedural/training issue (within my control)--I was looking for more of a mechanical failure with the SERPA action (something I cannot control).

Thanks Rocky
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The Blackhawk CQC is good to go open or concealed (more than a shirt is much better).

USA carry, open or concealed, 0 to 7 feet (80&#37; of the shooting in PP more or less - FBI stats) I would prefer not not to have the SERPA, speed and more importantly if the finger for whatever reason does not hit the latch

Overseas - chest rig on body armor and carrying a Rifle or Carbine - Yes the Blackhawk CQC in SERPA

Overseas - thigh first choice would be Safariland and second choice Blackhawk SERPA (easier to do with off hand /arm = Safariland) carrying a Rifle or Carbine. Side note: Many wear their thigh rigs to low on the leg, the higher the better on the thigh, as long as no conflict with body armor or other gear on the body armor or gear belt.

I have heard of the pebble issue but have not experienced it.

I have heard of the finger issue in the trigger guard or trigger itself but have not experienced it.

It is much easier and quicker to off hand get the handgun out and going from a Safariland or Blackhawk "Non-SERPA" than Blackhawk SERPA.

It is much easier and quicker to off hand "only" reload (one hand reload) get the handgun out and going from a Safariland or Blackhawk "Non-SERPA" than Blackhawk SERPA.

I have one and I love it.

The retention clip is released during a normal draw. It makes sure your trigger finger is where it should be when you draw (not on the trigger).

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sort of a SEPA "wedgie"

I have one for my 226 and M&P, I really like them, although i can't carry CCW, I suspect that a bunch of people heard bad things from someone they think knows more than them, therefore they repeat it. I hear stories from guys in Afghanistan, whho have had failures with almost ever holster there is. That place is just hard on equipment. I also agree that the finger naturally slides along the frame above the trigger. It's not perfect, but then what is?

Joffe, I have to ask, and (this is not intended as a personal attack in any way), but have you ever actually SEEN that happen? Has anyone you know well enough to believe, such as a comrade in LE, bail enforcement, or military (or something else involving hard use) actually had it happen? I have friends and acquaintances in all 3, and have not heard of it ever actually happening to any of them, be it rolling in sand on the beach cuffing some doped up moron, or rolling in afghan dirt, cuffing some poppy imbibing individual.

So far, while I am annoyed that it is difficult to clean, often resulting in a gritty feel to the button, as I have one here in my hand, heavily scuffed, I cannot see how anything could become wedged into it, without actually breaking a part, and that could happen with any retention system, to include a simple snap. Short of that, there simply isnt any way to get anything big enough to jam the mechanism, INTO the mechanism.

The jammed button by a pebble argument strikes me as more talk from people who havent actually used it, usually passing on opinions from others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links