Blackhawk Serpa

Blackhawk Serpa

This is a discussion on Blackhawk Serpa within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody have any experience with these? Kicking around the idea of getting one to use through the winter months since I can conceal it easier....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa

Blackhawk Serpa

Anybody have any experience with these? Kicking around the idea of getting one to use through the winter months since I can conceal it easier.

Administrator
    Good Quality. They do not pull the pistol but in quite as close as high quality leather but, closer than Fobus.
    Yep, you could use it for concealment in winter or under a sportcoat or light jacket.

Also...almost under an oversize T-Shirt but a full size pistol butt will print a bit.

You can also get them in Non~Serpa and those are quite inexpensive.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

what about retention vs. non-retention holsters? any opinions about which would be better for average joe?

Lead Moderator
    I like the Serpa w/ retention lock. It is easy to push and natural during the draw. It just takes a little practice to get it down and be able to draw quickly. If you push down firmly as you press the switch it works really good.
    I find the paddle works best, pulls the gun tighter , spreads the gun weight out more on your hip.
    The lock is really tough , we actually pulled a 180 lb. Guy off his feet w/o breaking the holster / switch.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I did not recommend the Blackhawk SERPA for Personal Protection / CCW use.

I do recommend the Blackhawk "without" the SERPA.

Side note: For those who recommended the Blackhawk SERPA for Personal Protection.

Blackhawk SERPA recommendation, try this for those who recommended the SERPA. Only use your opposite - arm/hand and remove the handgun from the holster. Could you do it ? If you did how long did it take you ?

Personal Protection Handgun and magazines / speed loaders (same applies to knives and flashlights) should be reachable and removable with either hand. Think about the "why".

The holster recommended is the Blackhawk CQC "without" the SERPA retention is good to go for Personal Protection. As are the Blackhawk magazine "single" pouches.

SERPA works for body armor vest mount, when you have others with you with firearms and you are carrying a rifle / shotgun as your primary.

The "why" because you may not have use of your primary arm / hand for many reasons and what if for 1/4 second you miss the SERPA button, you draw slower, which might make the difference if you survive or not.

For retention, you have your clothing covering the holster and the handgun and can use your forearm if need be. If you maintain your awareness level where it should be then retention nearly becomes a mute point.

VIP Member
    Drawing from the SERPA requires a convulsion of the trigger finger. Never a good idea in my opinion. You want the trigger finger straight until the decision to fire has been made- and that cannot be done with this system.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Lead Moderator
    I have practiced drawing with my Serpa alot. I find my finger naturally is along the slide stop as I draw after pressing the release. It may vary where your finger rests. those who do not like the serpa w/ release, how many have tried it, or just formed an opinion from 2nd hand observation/opinion?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I haven't had a problem with my trigger finger "falling" inside of the trigger guard during a draw with my Glock 20 and Serpa holster.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have both and have used both of the Blackhawk CQC with and without the SERPA for as long or as many years as this holsters have been made, thousands of draws.

If on my hip and without a rifle / carbine then NO SERPA with open carry or concealed carry.

If on my chest attached to body armor or thigh rig with a rifle / carbine and in the company of others with rifles / carbines then YES SERPA.

+++++++++++++
    Rocky and SRFL - below is from my other post above, I just suggest asking yourselves the questions below and see what your answers are, not trying to start a posting contest:

Blackhawk SERPA recommendation, try this for those who recommended the SERPA. Only use your opposite - arm/hand and remove the handgun from the holster. Could you do it ? If you did how long did it take you ?

Personal Protection Handgun and magazines / speed loaders (same applies to knives and flashlights) should be reachable and removable with either hand. Think about the "why".

VIP Member
    To answer your question....yes, I can remove my G20 from its holster using my weak hand-only (thanks for being limber) as long as I perform the draw from the front of my body...fairly quickly as well and probably as quickly if I had to release my SIGARMS P229 from a thumbbreak holster; exactly how quickly I cannot say since I do not have a timer.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have carried a para-p14 in a serpa for a few months, and even with a left hand that barely functions due to a foolish afternoon with a table saw, I am able to draw it, though firing left handed is an exercise in prayer with the disability there. However, I was/am able to draw from a serpa, with practice, of course.

VIP Member
    I have tried a SERPA- and no, your finger doesn't fall inside the trigger guard. When on the range, I can use them with no problem- much faster than any other retention holster. However, under stress, your finger is already making a trigger pulling motion when you draw. As you lose fine motor control, that could be a problem.

I'm not the one that invented the scenario- but I can see how accurate it is.

I do have a question though. Why is it that anytime someone doesn't like a piece of gear those that do like it have to go on the offensive? If it works for you, great. It isn't something that I'll tell people I come across to use.

(Hint, I won't tell them to use the nonretention version either because OWB kydex is a bad idea all by itself.)
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator
    My only real complaint with the Blackhawk rigs is that the belt loop edges are too crisp and that makes it difficult to feed onto a good gun belt because it does not slide on too easily.

I fixed mine by beveling the edges a bit and then also wet sanding them a bit with 3M Wet or Dry paper.
    Much better and a 10 minute fix.
    I really only use mine at work when I carry my SIG rather than my usual Colt Commander.
    I sometimes need cover up when I occasionally get visitors.
    The holster is furnished with both a paddle and a loop attachment system.
    The method of attachment is tough and secure.
    The passive tensioning on the non serpa is good and easily adjustable.
    They make a good quality product.
    I actually bought mine originally as a temporary use holster because I knew (in advance) that I would be camping in very wet conditions and did not want to ruin/mildew a good leather rig.
    But, I trust this holster enough that I would have no scruples about carrying often with it...though I do prefer leather.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sigh, ok, I guess someone will have to lay it out...your finger DOES NOT, I say again, DOES NOT fall in the triggerguard of your weapon when you use/release a SERPA lock.

The guys at blackhawk are ridiculously familiar with the sort of equipment they make, as well as the worst imaginable conditions it could be used in. I have a complaint about the lock on it, but the placement of the finger is not it. If you try one and your finger is ending up inside your triggerguardon the draw, practice more. The part of the button you press is offset on a hinge toward theslide on an autoloader, in addition to having a molded "guide", which leads your finger to the portion of the frame just ABOVE the trigger. If your finger rides out of the holster into the triggerguard, you really arent using it right, and need to let the holster index that finger to the appropriate location on the draw. Its a different feel from other holsters which dont do anything to help you keep the finger clear. To quote yoda, "You must unlearn what you have learned."

FWIW, my complaint with the serpa lock is that it is easy for small grit to get into the mechanism, but difficult for you to get any tool into it to clean it. I have not personally had a failure, nor have any of my friends in the 101st reported trouble, but most of them are issued safariland thigh holsters (at least, the ones I know, who are primarily heavy weapons gunners.)

edited for anti-big-block-of-textedness.

Quote Originally Posted by AcimEriga View Post
    Sigh, ok, I guess someone will have to lay it out...your finger DOES NOT, I say again, DOES NOT fall in the triggerguard of your weapon when you use/release a SERPA lock.

The guys at blackhawk are ridiculously familiar with the sort of equipment they make, as well as the worst imaginable conditions it could be used in. I have a complaint about the lock on it, but the placement of the finger is not it. If you try one and your finger is ending up inside your triggerguardon the draw, practice more. The part of the button you press is offset on a hinge toward theslide on an autoloader, in addition to having a molded "guide", which leads your finger to the portion of the frame just ABOVE the trigger. If your finger rides out of the holster into the triggerguard, you really arent using it right, and need to let the holster index that finger to the appropriate location on the draw. Its a different feel from other holsters which dont do anything to help you keep the finger clear. To quote yoda, "You must unlearn what you have learned."

FWIW, my complaint with the serpa lock is that it is easy for small grit to get into the mechanism, but difficult for you to get any tool into it to clean it. I have not personally had a failure, nor have any of my friends in the 101st reported trouble, but most of them are issued safariland thigh holsters (at least, the ones I know, who are primarily heavy weapons gunners.)

edited for anti-big-block-of-textedness.
    I agree with the above and would like to add: With a proper firing grip (index finger extended and straight) the index finger will naturally fall on the SERPA release and as the draw is completed will be alongside the frame. Muscle memory is not an issue here as the muscle required to depress the SERPA release is the proximal knuckle (metacarpal to proximal phalanx); the knuckles and associated muscles used to curl the finger and depress the trigger are middle and distal.

As Acim Eriga said: "Sigh, ok, I guess someone will have to lay it out...your finger DOES NOT, I say again, DOES NOT fall in the triggerguard of your weapon when you use/release a SERPA lock."

The muscles used to depress the SERPA release are not the muscles used to curl the finger and depress the trigger.

My index finger was extended and straight when drawing before using a SERPA and it still is. I really like this holster but I certainly understand that not everyone will and I respect their opinions.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links