DIY holster question?

This is a discussion on DIY holster question? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it isn't the right place, feel free to move it to wherever. I have a question for the DIY holstermakers among us. I am ...

Thread: DIY holster question?

DIY holster question?

If it isn't the right place, feel free to move it to wherever.

I have a question for the DIY holstermakers among us. I am trying to make up my own version of Andy Aratoonian's TJM Deep Cover holster setup. For those who haven't seen this, it's a cross between an IWB holster and a belly band. The holster is held in place by a patch of Velcro and a matching patch on a strip of 2" elastic webbing. Clear so far?

OK, the question is, does anyone have experience or ideas on how to fasten (I assume sew) the patch/strip of Velcro to the elastic webbing? I'll also have to fasten strips on each end of the webbing to hold them together, buckle-like.

I plan to make the holster (Andy makes his of leather) out of Kydex. This I understand how to do. But I'm stumped on the Velcro-elastic part.

Thanks.

Gene.
    Gene Charleton

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    A pic might help to let others understand what you are looking to create. Sounds like you need to utilize some sewing skills.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I can't seem to get an image into this message (I'm more illiterate about such things than I thought I was, apparently.)

Check out the images on this page. They show details of the holster and how it's worn.

http://www.holsters.org/deepconceal-holster.htm

Hope they show what you need.

Gene.
    Gene Charleton

Lead Moderator
    The link shows the holster / belt combo. Just my opinion , but the narrow belt looks uncomfortable to me. Being elastic it probably will not support the weight of the gun much.
    Unless you are wearing a light / small pistol I think a sturdy holster/belt combo will work better. Or perhaps a kydex holster sewn into a wider belly band , might work better.
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but the setup just doesn't seem like it would work very well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You may be right. I have a belly band that has a piece of neoprene as one side of the sewed shape that holds the pistol. It works OK, but I've never been comfortable about having the trigger covered only by a couple of layers of what's essentially fabric.

Maybe I'll try sewing the holster into the belly band first. Thanks for your comments. Some experiments just aren't worth trying, I guess.

Gene.
    Gene Charleton

If you look at these pictures of the Kydex 'taco' I made for my UCComfort tee-shirt holster, you can see how you can put a tab on your holster to secure it to a open bottomed cloth pocket.

FWIW, UCComfort's belly band has the same kind of open bottom pockets.

Oh, and I suspect you could just sew (several rows for strength) the Velcro to the elastic, but I agree with Rocky, most 2" elastic probably isn't going to hold the weight reasonably. Note that the Smart Carry has about 2" elastic, but it's really heavy duty stuff.

-john

bzdog,

I like your tacos. I'm going to try that for my existing bellyband. It looks like it would do just about everything I want.

On the elastic, what I've got isn't the stuff my wife buys in the fabric store -- it's heavy duty elastic that upholsterers use to rebuild chair seats. It still may not be strong enough to carry the pistol, but it's pretty strong. The taco first, though.

Thanks, guys.

Gene.
    Gene Charleton

JSB
    I built a holster like this for my Colt Officer's Lightweight using an old suede clip style holster with the clip removed and replaced with a patch of velcro. I use a nylon web belt with a plastic threadthrough ring. The velcro was secured with adhesive to both the holster and belt and, after wearing it for a while, the velcro is very secure from the pressure. The nylon belt is not uncomfortable and the system is excellent as a tuckable. It will even work with swim shorts and a t-shirt. When worn under my business casual, the nylon belt will securely support the gun and the pants and dress belt provide addt'l holding while not having to support the gun/holster. I'm not sure elastic webbing will provide the same sort of support. I'm working on constructing another.

Links