Tell me about holsters....

This is a discussion on Tell me about holsters.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to purchase my first carry gun...and am pretty sure it will be an xd9. Looking at all the holster options, and sorting ...

Thread: Tell me about holsters....

I am about to purchase my first carry gun...and am pretty sure it will be an xd9. Looking at all the holster options, and sorting through the abreviations for them is quite overwhelming for this newbie. I could really use some help.

Obviously, I'm a woman, and have two children constantly hanging on me as well. I have noticed that many require a belt? I don't even own one! No issues here with being picky about my clothing, but, I don't want to be a slob either. I am able to be flexible with clothing, however, I do wear a lot of dresses in the summer and to church.

I am concerned about being made. NO WAY. It might be almost OK for a guy to be made by his buddies, but not by my girlfriends on a playdate with our toddlers. Yikes!

ANY ANY ANY info is appreciated. Any web sites, anything! Please familiarize me with every aspect of holsters, etc. I've been studying, but forgive me...they all still look the same.

~mj

I'm not a woman but this has been sugested as an excellent site for women.

http://www.corneredcat.com/
    -Biker

Second the cornered cat site. Also might want to touch basis with limatunes on this site. She is a very valuable resource of knowledge.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Senior Moderator
    Hello MJ! So nice to see you on board!

I remember you and your husband very well and I'm so glad that you decided to come over and check us out here at DC.com.

Cornered Cat is a GREAT recourse or information for a woman interested in carrying.

Good choice on the XD-9 by the way. I don't think you'll be displeased with it.

The first thing necessary to pin point the kind of holster you may need is to decide how you want to carry your gun.

Is it going to be kidney carry? Perhaps appendix? Shoulder holster?

For all intensive purposes, behind the right hip is the easiest place to conceal, draw from, and most comfortable place to carry and it's always a good place to start. Even if you decide to carry elsewhere on your body because of other outfits (as you mentioned, skirts and dresses for church and work) at least you will have a good starting place for every day wear and tear.

Being concerned with "getting made" is something we all fret about, and even though OWB can be the most comfortable holster to carry, especially while bending down and chasing little ones, you may have to worry about your holster sticking out of the bottom of your shirt. For the deepest concealment, I'd recommend IWB.

You mentioned that you don't even own a belt and are concerned about not being sloppy. I completely understand. I hated belts but eventually had to concede that a belt might just be necessary. There are some nice belts about there and some times you don't really need anything too hefty because if you have a nice holster and set up it won't put too much strain on your belt.

I like this C-Tac holster because it's IWB which is great for concealment, but it also draws quickly and smoothly, and the belt does support it as well.

The quest for the perfect holster is something I've been looking for since I started carrying. If you find it, PLEASE, let me know.

Another vote for www.corneredcat.com .
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Hey, thanks for the replies. I've been to cornered cat...many times lately in my quest!
    Lima, I am SO glad you referred us to this site. I signed on right away. While I loved the EMP, I think a da would be the best. Never did get to shoot it...probably a good thing. It's nice living so close to FCO, I can run up and shoot pretty much every Tuesday night.

I'm thinking I'll mostly kidney carry, I'm fortunate enough to be able to wear jeans and a shirt most of the time, so I don't have a lot of wardrobe confinements I still have a baby buldge and I think with picking up my son, I'll constantly be uncomfortable and poking myself with anything concealed towards my front...or at least this is what I think would happen. :)

So, shoulder rigs on top of dresses, with a blazer or fitted "coat" over them? Is that doable? Are there any other options for dresses?
    Would a belly band work for skirts without a proper waist band?

I don't mind having to start wearing a belt, or shopping for some new duds! Can I get any type of leather belt?

Well, if you are opposed to wearing a belt, that will somewhat limit what type of holsters you can use. For no belt at all, take a look at SMART CARRY. It hides under your jeans , slacks or skirt, yet gives fairly quick access. They have a trial period to see if works for you. If not send it back. You can also try pocket carry, when you have pockets, but you may find that will be easier with a smaller & lighter gun than your XD.

Like everyone else, you'll need to do some experimenting, until find what is best for you and your lifestyle, wardrobe and physical make up, That's why there are SO many options with holsters. Good luck in your search. Take a look at the MEGA links page at the top of this forum and see what all the different makers have to offer.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MollyJ2 View Post
    Obviously, I'm a woman, and have two children constantly hanging on me as well. I have noticed that many require a belt? I don't even own one! No issues here with being picky about my clothing, but, I don't want to be a slob either. I am able to be flexible with clothing, however, I do wear a lot of dresses in the summer and to church.

ANY ANY ANY info is appreciated.
    ~mj
    MollyJ2,

Here's another idea for a smaller pistol.

or this.

Hope this helps.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well I think you are getting pointed in the right direction with the ladies that are here, as well as the suggestions that the guys that are giving.

Also, if you wear jeans with boot cuts, or any wider cut on the legs, then you might find ankle carry a viable alternative as well. I have found ankle carry so comfortable, that I often have a pistol on the ankle even when I am carrying on the hip or in a shoulder rig.

Just one question though...

How can you be a woman, and not have at least one belt? I can go to my wife's side of the closet and find at least a dozen at any given time.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Another website to check out

Hi Molly,

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I can attest from my own experience that it will most likely require some individual trial and error on your part to find a comfortable and concealable holster. I now have maybe a dozen holsters made for several different pistols, and not one of them is the same model holster made for more than one pistols. There are just too many designs out there to try and I'm still searching for the "right" holster.

My experience is that it is all about compromises, one holster is more comfortable, but not as concealing. Another is better at concealing, but not nearly as comfortable. You get the picture. Add to this the fact that everyone's physique is different leads to no one design of holster fitting exactly the same on any two people. Personally the idea that a one to two pound piece of steel and polymer can be carried in a holster that is so comfortable that you forget about it is there is a pipe dream. We all make sacrifices to feel prepared for the unexpected, for me a little bit of discomfort is small price to pay for preparedness.

With that said, a proper holster system, be it leather or kydex, DOES make a huge difference in comfort. Some people may say that a cheap Uncle Mikes holster is sufficient and for some people that is definitely true, but I would not hesitate to say that a good quality holster will have better retention and better comfort. In addition to this a quality belt that will properly support the additional weight of a pistol and extra magazines makes an enormous difference in the level of comfort that one can attain. The reason I refer to it as a holster system is that it really is a system. Most holstermakers that I've dealt with would agree that a well made holster on the cheap, floppy belt really won't be very comfortable or secure. BUT A GOOD BELT, made to carry the exta weight.

I personally have been carrying daily about 8 years or so, not as long as some but certainly longer than others. Do your homework and you will be fine. Just like anything else, a little diligent research will help you to avoid adding too much to the "holsters that I don't use" box.

Here is a link to a holstermaker in Oregon that specializes in women's holsters: http://www.womensholsters.com/page2/page2.html

Sponsored Links