Galco SkyOps

This is a discussion on Galco SkyOps within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone use a SkyOps Holster? I wear clothes tucked in and need a tuckable. If anyone has any ideas or any other holster you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galco SkyOps

Galco SkyOps

Does anyone use a SkyOps Holster? I wear clothes tucked in and need a tuckable. If anyone has any ideas or any other holster you can recommend please do so.

ffh

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Does anyone use a SkyOps Holster? I wear clothes tucked in and need a tuckable. If anyone has any ideas or any other holster you can recommend please do so.

ffh
    I swear I don't work for Galco, and don't get anything for endorsements...
    My all-around, everyday carry is a SkyOps. I carried a Beretta Mini Couar G in it for a long time, now carry a Beretta Cougar L in it. I really love it. I am 6'1" and go about 210, and carry at right about 3 O'Clock. Since getting it, I've tried a few other holsters, but the SkyOps and the position I carry make for total concealment in almost every situation. I've carried in all different types of dress, and in the hottest weather we have had here in FL. I use a Galco SB-1 (black, 1") because it was the best belt I could get quickly. It's got the liner, and is still quite comfortable. I haven't even thought of getting a different belt. I inspect it, and my holster, at least once a month, and they are both holding up quite nicely with almost no wear. The belt has actually formed a tiny bit but still seems quite straight. Regardless, my Cougar doesn't budge, even if I run. One of my concerns was stretching the buckle hole that gets daily use. My SB-1 has absolutely zero stretching, tearing, or anything other than some creasing at the hole I use daily. That says a lot too, since the Mini Cougar is not exactly the lightest pistol to be carrying.

I mentioned total concealment in almost every situation. I can do almost anything while I'm carrying that I can while not carrying and not even print. I can bend down instead of squat, I can turn and bend, reach for things, etc. The only motion that I print is reaching up and opposite my strong side and other similar motions. When wearing something tucked in, the Y clip really just about disappears, and is totally not noticable. People have mentioned that the holster shifts and/or is difficult to get into position, but I don't have that problem, and it also hasn't damaged my belt.

Drawbacks: (gotta put the ugly out there with the pretty)
    • I suppose if you are on the thin side, you may not be able to carry something very large at the 3 O'Clock position, so the SkyOps may be a tough sell.
    • No sweat guard - this I don't understand, other than the fact that the holster is ambidextrous and VERY easily swapped to the opposite side.
    • Y-clip originally only came in 1", but Galco has solved that with a new 1" clip.
    • Not a wide variety for different pistols. I use one meant for an H&K USP Compact or P2000. It works well, but would be nicer if it were made for my Cougar.
    • Holster mouth collapses almost completely if you draw. For most, this isn't an issue, and I've gotten quite good at reholstering with an untucked shirt.

Any questions?
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

I use a Galco Skyops for my Kimber compact Stainless II. (4" barrel Officers frame 1911 style pistol) It conceals very well, it is very thin, much thinner than other IWB holsters I have. The Y clip hides very easily and the holster / gun does not move about. As far as comfort is concerned, it is good but not great Realize that it is a minimalist holster with ease of concealment as it's primary design criteria. Re-holstering is difficult and certainly not elegant.
    Overall, it think it is an excellent choice when a very concealable, tuckable holster for a larger pistol is needed and well worth it's moderate price.

Roger

Any pics? I have been interested in this holster for awhile.

I may be able to get a pic or two tomorrow.

There are a lot of holsters out there that are described as "tuckable" but the tuck crevice is hardly wider than a belt and it is a challenge to get your shirtails in there.

Perhaps the SkyOps best feature is the generous tuck crevice. It really does allow you to tuck in your shirt without a big wad bulge behind the belt.

Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

Use one everyday..that is when my wife does not get it first...works great, comfortable but I do not like the fact that it collapses completely when you remove the firearm. When I drive I used to take the weapon out of the holster but it is difficult to reholster. Now I take holster and all out. It is easy to put on and remove and does a good job of tucking with plenty of room for the shirt. It is by no means a custom job but all in all works well.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

closest fit for Millennium Pro

I was thinking about trying the skyops. Any ideas what is going to be the closest fit for my Taurus PT145 Pro?

galco has a inside the pants tuckable holster. i think it is the udc or something like that. i have one and it works. check their site and look around. i like the galco brand,,,,,, 90% of my holster are made by them. all but my "raids" holsters. they don't make a good "raids" holster.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have a friend who sometimes carries his CZ P40 in a Skyops with his shirt tucked in. He likes it. If I'm not looking for it, I can't even tell he's carrying.

I have been using a Skyops for about 6 months and it is the slimmest and most compact tuckable I have. I have four different rigs for 2 guns. It is in MHO not a holster that you want to reholster in because it does not stay open. I also use a VMII from Milt Sparks and it is easy to reholster but is not an slim and concealable and the SKyOps.

I use a SkyOps for both my Sig P239 and the Glock 19. It is very comfortable, but it *has* to be worn with a 1-1/4" belt. Any wider and the belt won't fit in the slots and any narrower it will come out.

Downside is that it collapses as soon as you pull the gun, so re-holstering would require unfastening your pants.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    ...it *has* to be worn with a 1-1/4" belt. Any wider and the belt won't fit in the slots and any narrower it will come out...

Galco has solved one of these issues by adding a 1" Y-hook. They are very inexpensive and are extremely easy to switch out.

Quote Originally Posted by bayo-wolf View Post
    I was thinking about trying the skyops. Any ideas what is going to be the closest fit for my Taurus PT145 Pro?
    Galco lists Taurus' 24/7 as fitting most of the holsters for a SIG P229 and our own in-house Cross-Fit chart agrees that the Taurus PT-145 PRO will fit the same holsters.

That should make the SKY250B the correct choice.

Beretta1526 is correct regarding the wider Y-Hook (YH150). Galco is trending to lean to attachments for 1 1/4" belts for the tuckable holsters but offering an alternate option improves things.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    ...Galco is trending to lean to attachments for 1 1/4" belts for the tuckable holsters...
    I suppose the typical 'dress' belt is more commonly 1".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links