Shark Skin vs Cowhide: Beauty vs Brains - Page 2

Shark Skin vs Cowhide: Beauty vs Brains

This is a discussion on Shark Skin vs Cowhide: Beauty vs Brains within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shark skin by itself is about the softness of a leather jacket. about 1/8 inch thick (maybe a little less) and very flexible. Put it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark Skin vs Cowhide: Beauty vs Brains

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Shark skin by itself is about the softness of a leather jacket. about 1/8 inch thick (maybe a little less) and very flexible. Put it over cowhide, and the two glued and stitched together actually complement each other and make a little stiffer product than the two alone. This is why we can make a gun belt with shark hide.

Go for the fishy, you definitely won't be let down. I have shark, iguana, and alligator, and shark is pretty much my favorite.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have a Laredo defender and think you will love it. Just got an
    eagle defender the other day with shark skin. It looks so cool
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

That Laredo Defender with the sharkskin is pretty unique...actually, very sharp...I think that I could use one of those.

Lima...two questions...considering the same barrel length, would your Wilson fit in to a holster fitted for a Kimber? ...and, how long for K & D to make your holster?

Thanks...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Go for the shark!

I bought a OWB holster and mag carrier done in black shark from UBG about 3 months ago. I haven't posted any pics here yet.... yea I know .

I have to say that I love it. I was totally worth the extra cash. The shark is bonded / stitched to the leather and it looks almost double thick.

I wear it daily and so far it shows no sign of wear. Leather when rubbed or scraped can loose some of the finish. The shark does not.

Forget the straps.. go for the whole thing.

Shark skin belt is next on my list.

I love my shark!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Lima, afraid all my holsters (other than competition) are cowhide, but can tell you from long experience with boots, cowhide scuffs where most exotics won't, but exotics will cut where cowhide may have a little more give to the leather first. Wearing a pair of sharkskin Luchesse boots right now which are 3 years old and still look new other than one cut on the toe box.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That Laredo Defender with the sharkskin is pretty unique...actually, very sharp...I think that I could use one of those.

Lima...two questions...considering the same barrel length, would your Wilson fit in to a holster fitted for a Kimber? ...and, how long for K & D to make your holster?

Thanks...

ret
    Actually, my Kimber and Wilson are not the same bbl length, so no, the Wilson won't fit in the Kimber holsters.

My Kimber is an Ultra with a 3" bbl. My Wilson has a 4.1" bbl. I've ordered the holster to be for a Commander sized 1911 with a 4.25" bbl and so there will be .15" extra on the holster, but that's okay with me. I've been using my husbands full-size 5" 1911 holsters up until now so it really doesn't matter to me.

He says I should have it in 14-16 weeks so around January 29th or so I should have it (I already marked my calendar). In the mean-time I'll keep stealing JD's holsters!

OK...anybody have the Bullfrog option?

I called K&D and learned that they offer bullfrog skin, too! Anyone have one of these? How does it hold up compared to the others? I probably won't be able to resist a custom bullfrog hoster no matter what the answer is, but I thought I'd ask.

In case anyone is interested, they also told me they have elephant, gator, stingray and ostrich.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    I called K&D and learned that they offer bullfrog skin, too! Anyone have one of these? How does it hold up compared to the others? I probably won't be able to resist a custom bullfrog hoster no matter what the answer is, but I thought I'd ask.

In case anyone is interested, they also told me they have elephant, gator, stingray and ostrich.
    Yeah, the list of leathers available was INSANE (in a good way, of course)! Bullfrog sounds interesting, I wonder how it would look!

Lima good choice on the shark, your going to like it alot. I went with shark on my Sparks rig and im more then pleased. Your definitely going to need a shark mag pouch, and shark belt.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Lima,

You'll love it!
    Here's mine (OK, no shark loops but close to what you'll get).

Kevin's work is great. I'm still amazed at how thin it is.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Bullfrog sounds interesting, I wonder how it would look!
    Does it help the BG to croak?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    Does it help the BG to croak?
    HEY!!!

You are banished to the Very Unsavory Pit For Wheedlers of Rotten Jokes and Puns for a really, really long time!!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

limatunes said:

Bullfrog sounds interesting, I wonder how it would look!
    Go to Mark Garrity's website at the link below and scroll down to the heading "'Sneaky Pete' Front Pocket Holster". You will see two pictures of a Sneaky Pete. The one on the left shows the boned, inner face of the holster in natural cowhide, and the right one shows the smooth, outer side of the holster faced with what I'm fairly sure is African Bullfrog skin (though it doesn't say it on his site, Mark posted that photo somewhere in the past and said that's what it is).

I think the color is "Denim".

http://garritysgunleather.com/Pocket...tyHolsters.htm

Very highbrow, isn't it? By the way, I wonder how big a bullfrog has to be to yield a usable hide; do they grow big enough to provide sufficient skin for a larger belt holster?

Let me explicitly state that the above photo is Mark Garrity's. I hope it's okay to post it for informative purposes- I'm a little new to pic protocol, it's the first time I've ever posted one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post

You are banished to the Very Unsavory Pit For Wheedlers of Rotten Jokes and Puns for a really, really long time!!!
    Thanks; I needed that.

This is my Fish faced Laredo Defender.
    It's the one on Kevins web site

There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links