Shark Skin vs Cowhide: Beauty vs Brains

This is a discussion on Shark Skin vs Cowhide: Beauty vs Brains within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, after months of stealing JD's holsters (because I don't have a commander sized 1911 holster of my very own) he gave me THE ULTIMATUM. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark Skin vs Cowhide: Beauty vs Brains

Senior Moderator

Shark Skin vs Cowhide: Beauty vs Brains

So, after months of stealing JD's holsters (because I don't have a commander sized 1911 holster of my very own) he gave me THE ULTIMATUM. Get my own holster or go back to carrying the Kimber.

It's not that he's being mean, he's just expecting his VA permit to be coming any day and he needs his holsters back.

So, with a little bit of poking around, I found a winner.

I called up the fine folks (or folk) at K&D Holsters and ordered the Laredo Defender.

So far, I ordered the regular portion of the holster to be stained in that dark brown/reddish color and the shark skin for the "mouth."

But then I got to thinking. I think it would be beautiful to have the shark skin on the loops as well.

I don't know if it can be done, but before I ask I want to make sure I'm not jeopardizing the structural integrity of my holster by making it look "pretty."

We women. We're so complicated.

There were many other options as well, like elephant, elephant trunk, beaver tail and so on, to choose from.

How does shark (or any other leather for that matter) differ from cowhide in longevity, strength and practicality for the loops of a holster?

2. Remove Ads

My Uncle Lou from 5Shot has Shark on the loops, The loops (on mine) are leather covered in Shark. It looks like the Defender is designed the same way.
    Holds fine :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Assistant Administrator
    I expect it can be done Lima and would be functionally OK - your only problem will be keeping patient as you wait!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    How does shark (or any other leather for that matter) differ from cowhide in longevity, strength and practicality for the loops of a holster?
    I'm not a leather expert but I don't think I'd be wrong by saying that Shark beats out cowhide hands down.
    The first time I bought a pair of boots (many moons ago) I was looking at a pair of Sharkskins. I asked the salesman about Shark because I wasn't familiar with it. He pulled out a Shrade pocketknife, opened it and scraped the Sharkskin with the spine of the knife blade. Then he lit a match and held it to the leather. Needless to say, I bought me a pair of Tony Llama Sharkskin boots that day. Of course it wasn't the pair he had on the floor, they were the wrong size. Shark is nice.
    As far as practicality, if it's a concealed holster why pay the extra for sharkskin when cowhide will do.
    But then why buy a Jaguar when a Camaro will get you from A to B?
    Why buy a Rolex when a Timex keeps good time?
    Some of us just aren't satisfied with the norm. Get what makes you happy. You're the one wearing it.
    Last edited by P7fanatic; October 29th, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

go for style..(as long as its functional)..its your holster.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    S

Before I retired I was an international businessman. In Thailand one year my associates gave me a wallet, made from Crocodile leather. They told me it would last forever.

The next trip they gave me one made from Sting Ray leather. They said it would last than the Crocodile. (Which they had said would last forever.) They were both worn out in a couple of years.

limatunes, You will not damage anything, we bond the shark to the leather and then sew it for added strength. Kevin will do right by you he is one of the best.
    Best,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Go for Shark

Lima,

I have several IWB holsters w/ shark loops that have been used on a daily basis for several years. No discernible wear on any of the shark loops. But then again the holsters w/ cowhide loops don't really show a ton of wear either. So in my experience, the shark is as durable as cowhide if not more so.

But you know, the real factor in deciding the belt loops material should be whether you have a cowhide or sharkskin belt. So my vote is go with the sharkskin belt loops, BUT you have to get a matching sharkskin belt to go with.

Complete the rig!

Administrator
    Sharkskin is extremely abrasion resistant.
    Exotic leathers like shark are very thin and the "Exotic Leathers" are always veneered onto cow skin.
    By adding shark leather to the surface you're getting the best of both worlds.
    The fantastic holster making and molding characteristics of cow leather plus exotic "beauty" - with a scratch and abrasion resistant outside top surface.
    Good choice lima.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    ...and shark is very sexy too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

+1

Quote Originally Posted by John OK View Post
    BUT you have to get a matching sharkskin belt to go with.

Complete the rig!
    nice.

Administrator
    It's even sexy if the music from JAWS isn't playing when you're looking at it. Shark looks good.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by John OK View Post
    But you know, the real factor in deciding the belt loops material should be whether you have a cowhide or sharkskin belt. So my vote is go with the sharkskin belt loops, BUT you have to get a matching sharkskin belt to go with.

Complete the rig!
    This is very true... I have a regular old cowhide belt and it's getting a little beat up and it's about time to be replaced. That and I might need a new magazine pouch to go with the new holster and belt. It's too bad that such pretty a rig will need to be covered up.

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks QK, now every time I look at her holster, I'm going to have the Jaws theme in my head...

Administrator
    Shark Skin is one of my favorite exotic leathers.
    I LOVE the Ostrich Leg or Ostrich Knee leather also. It is so neat looking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links