Is there such a thing as an IWB holster with a mag pouch?

This is a discussion on Is there such a thing as an IWB holster with a mag pouch? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so maybe I should be carrying an extra mag. Problem is, It don't feel great in my pocket. I have an IWB mag carrier ...

Thread: Is there such a thing as an IWB holster with a mag pouch?

Is there such a thing as an IWB holster with a mag pouch?

OK, so maybe I should be carrying an extra mag. Problem is, It don't feel great in my pocket. I have an IWB mag carrier from crossbreed, but added to my IWB holster my pants are too tight and don't need to look any wider.

I've always thought that having a mag carrier attached to the holster was not a good idea, because I think ideally that you'd want to be able to get to the mag with your weak hand. Anyway, now I'm considering an IWB holster with a built-in mag pouch for my XD9SC. I like my crossbreed fine, but I can't carry a mag like this, and I don't like clipping extra stuff to me anyway. Do you know of a quality IWB holster with a mag pouch? Not sure that I've even seen one IWB. Thanks.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

There are a few makers out there, this is the only one I could remember the desantis tuck this holster.

http://www.desantisholster.com/n91.html
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

We cannot recommend this method of mag carry. There are makers out there that offer holsters with mag pouches and secret decoder ring compartments but we feel this is a dangerous way to defend oneself.

Your spare magazine must be ready and available at all times, not just when you've run the first one dry. Malfunctions are not predictable.

A holster typically carried behind the hip on the strong side is as far as possible from your weak side reloading hand. What could be worse?

We recommend carrying your spare mags where they are most accessible to your weak side hand.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    We cannot recommend this method of mag carry. There are makers out there that offer holsters with mag pouches and secret decoder ring compartments but we feel this is a dangerous way to defend oneself.

Your spare magazine must be ready and available at all times, not just when you've run the first one dry. Malfunctions are not predictable.

We recommend carrying your spare mags where they are most accessible to your weak side hand.
    I understand what you are saying, and even agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    A holster typically carried behind the hip on the strong side is as far as possible from your weak side reloading hand. What could be worse?
    Not carrying a spare mag at all. (which is what I do because of the hassle of another thing clipped to me and/or potentially making it even harder for me to squeeze into my pants.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

I carry my spare single stack mags in an old elastic tube that I got many years ago. it slides thru the belt and then I place the magazine in it on the belt. It rides on the same plane as the belt and is un- noticeable, very quick to put into action.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Do you know of a quality IWB holster with a mag pouch? Not sure that I've even seen one IWB. Thanks.
    You probably won't consider this a quality one, but I have one that looks like an Uncle Mike's IWB with a mag pouch on the front. I carry appendix, so it would be accessible to my weak hand if I used it to carry. But I generally use this holster for my car gun, and use a Leatherman holder, a horizontal belt pouch, and/or pocket for extra mags.

Only a suggestion...but I would keep my extra mag holster on my weak side! I prefer using my weak hand grabbing the mag from the weak side...although it can also be done taking the mag from the strong side...
    I guess it's what ever you practice...OMO

...and yes, I have seen holsters w/mag space...IWB and OWB...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    It don't feel great in my pocket.
    Comforting, not comfortable!

Honestly, I have tried to come up with a solution myself. I finally gave up and decided I'd carry a spare mag OWB in a holder that is easily removed and slipped into my briefcase if I have to tuck the holster or something.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I made a spare mag carrier for my Ruger P90 mag from an old glasses case. It's the pocket carry type of case with a kydex clip already sewn on. I just trimmed the to of the case down and used upholstery adhesive to glue the liner in real good. It keeps large mags upright in your front pocket or can be clipped inside the waist band or inside the belt so that the belt pressure holds it tight. Depending on the mag, it will hold one or two. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

I use a homebrew mag pouch that fits in my left back pocket. The backing plate on the pouch is sized for the pocket so the mag stays vertical for easy access.

Nick

Smart carry is an option

Smart Carry holsters are an option.

The IWB holster I use right now with my XD9 is the Desantis Pro Stealth. It has the mag puch right on the front of the holster and I carry a spare just like that. It works ok for an inexpensive holster and I've had 0 issues with it.

Maybe not as good an option as carrying OWB with the spare mag carrier, but it's better than leaving the extra ammo at home.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

J J Herold Holsters makes the "North Woods Versatile" model, a leather IWB tuckable with an integral kydex mag pouch for $65.00(http://www.jjheroldholsters.com/shop...y_IWB_Holsters). Their website makes it hard to determine what gun models are supported (they have not responded to email inquiries) and the shopping cart feature seems inoperative to me; I think you have to phone in your order.

I agree that the strong hand position is not optimal for spare mag placement but an inconvenient spare mag is better than none at all. I think you'd have to practice (practice, practice) switching the gun to the weak hand while drawing the mag. Even better if the gun has an ambidextorous mag release so that the strong hand does all of the mag manipulation before the gun is switched back to the strong hand to continue firing. Also, that's a lot of hardware to carry in one spot; it's probably best for small frame guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    J J Herold Holsters makes the "North Woods Versatile" model, a leather IWB tuckable with an integral kydex mag pouch for $65.00(http://www.jjheroldholsters.com/shop...y_IWB_Holsters). Their website makes it hard to determine what gun models are supported (they have not responded to email inquiries) and the shopping cart feature seems inoperative to me; I think you have to phone in your order.
    Looks interesting, but they don't answer emails? Red-flag! I'll find something else.

ckd
    I agree with the necessity of carrying a spare magazine with any semi-automatic for ability to resolve most potential failures, and extra ammo is never a bad thing. Also agree you should carry your spare magazines on your support side, the way you probably train. When I carry IWB I use a Fobus OWB (two magazines) on my support side, also helps with the distribution of weight. I tried the DeSantis thing with a PM9 and didn't like it at all.

Another option is carry an alloy Centennial second gun/bug in your support side pocket, which gives fewer backup rounds when compared to a magazine, but much greater flexibility. This is home time preference, but is suitable for other environments as well.

A third option, is an ankle carry of the spare magazine(s), which I haven't tried, though a distant option.

Links