Bought my first quality leather holster.... - Page 2

Bought my first quality leather holster....

This is a discussion on Bought my first quality leather holster.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear a crossbreed holster for both my carry guns. It is the best of both worlds, with only leather contacting your skin but kydex ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first quality leather holster....

I wear a crossbreed holster for both my carry guns. It is the best of both worlds, with only leather contacting your skin but kydex supporting the gun.

" So I am still at a bit of a loss as to understand why some people think leather is the only way to go."

It Looks Good, It Smells Good,It Feels Good............................
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

Holster Material

Young guys plastic, a plastic world. Old guys, the natural material leather.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

So I am still at a bit of a loss as to understand why some people think leather is the only way to go.
    Mike,

Don't judge all leather holsters by a Don Hume. I've got a couple Hume holsters. They're ok, commercial, usually in stock, and will do for a lot of people but....
    You can't compare them to a Del Fatti or a Lou Alessi or a Milt Sparks. And there are a lot of other really class leather holsters out there. At least that's my opinion.
    Look at other peoples holsters as you see them and check out the quality. You might find out you'd to try another. Of course, there's not anything wrong with Kydex either.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Hey, I am not that old..

Kydex works great but until you wear some custom leather you really can not judge..

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Mike,

Don't judge all leather holsters by a Don Hume. I've got a couple Hume holsters. They're ok, commercial, usually in stock, and will do for a lot of people but....
    You can't compare them to a Del Fatti or a Lou Alessi or a Milt Sparks. And there are a lot of other really class leather holsters out there. At least that's my opinion.
    Look at other peoples holsters as you see them and check out the quality. You might find out you'd to try another. Of course, there's not anything wrong with Kydex either.
    I couldn't say it any better myself, I'm not knocking Don Hume as I have one myself for my Colt Mustangs, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it "quality", I'd place it right along with or slightly under DeSantis, and and most definitely under Galco. They are good budget leather holsters, but not what I would use as the basis of leather, that's kind of like comparing a Fobus or Uncle Mikes kydex to Comp-Tac or Blade Tech Kydex.

As in all things, there are different levels of quality.

Again, Don Hume does have a place, not everyone can afford $100+ for leather, or have the option of wating 10+ weeks for custom leather from Milt Sparks, K&D etc. etc.

But even after stating that, if I had to buy a holster tomorrow for under $80 I'd at least go with DeSantis.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I like leather, Kydex is good stuff, but I like to carry IWB, and Kydex does not break in. A leather holster after being broken in, conforms to you and the gun, you just wear it for a couple of months and after a while everything kind of finds its place in the world and ends up being alot more comfortable. If you get a kydex holster and it's a little uncomfortable, it's gonna stay that way forever, sure you might deaden the nerves where it's digging at you after a while, but it's never gonna shift around and become a part of you.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think that 4 days evaluation of one Don Hume holster is sufficient to judge leather holsters as a group.

You didn't say what gun you are carrying, no mention was made to the quality of your belt, we don't know how many years you have been carrying on a full-time basis and the holster that you are commentating on is possibly not considered to be the ultimate in leather holsters.
    Yes, I didn't go into any great detail. I carry a Glock 23 every day, all day, even at home. My belt is a hand made heavy leather (read stiff and fairly thick), 1 and 1/4 inch wide belt that was designed as a gun belt. It is a quality belt. I have carried a gun 24/7 for going on 18 years now.

I have been carrying in this holster for almost a week now and so far my opinion still hasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by tabsr View Post
    Young guys plastic, a plastic world. Old guys, the natural material leather.
    I'll be 40 years old in 12 days....does that make me old, young or in some category that is neither?

Another thing that I have not mentioned is that I really like the retention options of my SERPA holster. I like that satisfying *click* of the gun locking into the holster. With leather, the only thing holding the gun in is simple friction. To me, that just isn't secure enough. As a result, the leather holster will most likely become the "wear around the house" holster. I doubt it will see much time being carried out and about.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; November 2nd, 2007 at 10:18 AM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hi Mike,

Enjoy your SERPA. Carry in good health.

Note: Leather holsters can be made to "click" in but the big high volume producers don't custom meet that particular need. One that might meet your need is a Galco Carry-lock with a mechanical release like the SERPA... so check it out.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator

There is a very good reason why (modern material) Kydex and Carbon Fiber holsters are continuing to be made.
    It is because so many people are buying them.
    There is also a reason why natural leather holsters are being made.
    It is because so many people are buying them.
    Thankfully we live in a country where we have a choice and can buy and try either or neither.
    If leather does not float our personal boat then we can opt for Kydex or Carbon Fiber or Nylon.
    If a production leather holster turns out to not be exactly what we want then we can elect to have a "more custom" leather rig made up.
    I don't see why it has to get personal.
    I am not being forced to wear your holsters and you guys are not being forced to wear mine.

Offer your personal opinion but keep it respectful and polite to other forum members.

We are all here to trade information and share our personal opinions with other fellow forum members - who are all over on our same side of the fence.
    We are not here to be rude with one another and throw a smug "all knowing" attitude around.

A word to the wise should be sufficient.
    If you are all wondering exactly who this post of mine is directed toward...I'll only say that if the shoe fits...wear it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I'm a leather guy and want a custom holster for carrying. However, if I was going to open carry in a wet outdoors setting I would want kydex.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

There is a definate "break-in" period with leather holsters, both production and custom. I have been wearing and trying to get used to this new Milt Sparks VMII I have, but after only a few hours I switch back to my Comp-tac. I try to wear the leather a few hours a day and hopefully once it is broken in it will be as comforatble as my comp-tac.

Yea it takes about a month for leather to break in to your form and fit. And the guns form and fit. But it's worth it.

"red hair and black leather... my favorite color scheme"

Richard Thompson - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

:D

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Another thing that I have not mentioned is that I really like the retention options of my SERPA holster. I like that satisfying *click* of the gun locking into the holster. With leather, the only thing holding the gun in is simple friction. To me, that just isn't secure enough. As a result, the leather holster will most likely become the "wear around the house" holster. I doubt it will see much time being carried out and about.
    There are two issues when we speak of "retention:" keeping the gun from falling out, and keeping some other person from grabbing it away from your holster.

"Simple friction" is more than enough to keep the gun from falling under almost all circumstances. It's not going to fall out of any decent leather holster, but even there, you can always get a leather holster with a thumb break.

When it comes to gun-grab retention, though, leather is clearly better. Kydex holsters tend to be held together with little screws, and as you'll see in any FoF training class, if two people are wrestling with the kydex holster, it'll usually shred swiftly. Leather won't do that.

Administrator
    Leather being "organic" will eventually mold & shape itself to your individual contour.
    It is (of course) also usually a bit extra stiff and rigid after having received its leather dye and finish.
    If your Kydex is comfortable for you right when you get it then that's great...because it's staying exactly that same way.
    There are certain pluses and minuses to natural and synthetic.
    The other "real world" differences are fairly obvious so I won't bother getting into them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links