Bought my first quality leather holster....

This is a discussion on Bought my first quality leather holster.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always been a Kydex guy. I don't know why but I have just never really been drawn to Leather holsters. Last Saturday while ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first quality leather holster....

I have always been a Kydex guy. I don't know why but I have just never really been drawn to Leather holsters.
    Last Saturday while working at the range, I was looking through some of the holsters that have come in recently and noticed we had a pretty good selection of Don Hume leather holsters. I saw one in particular that kind of caught my eye. It was for my Glock 23, the model of the holster was the 711 O.T. (open Top) and it was in black. The holster was highly boned and looked like it would fit my gun perfectly. It was $58.00 but with my employee discount I would end paying about $35.00. I know, how can I go wrong right but, as I said, I have never been a leather guy. But, I just couldn't stop going over and looking at that holster. I must have gone over and looked at it 7 or 8 times.

Finally I just took it to the register and bought it.

I have been wearing it for 4 days now and I have to admit, it is pretty comfortable but, while it holds the gun pretty securely, not a securely as my Blackhawk SERPA holster. And it really isn't any more comfortable than the SERPA. So I am still at a bit of a loss as to understand why some people think leather is the only way to go.

I only wear this holster around the house, I don't think I will ever wear anything out to carry in public that isn't made of Kydex. But, that's just me.

Here is a link to the Don Hume page that shows my holster. Mine is black, not brown as shown on the web page.
    711 OT
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

There's just something about leather I can't explain...

Kydex vs Leather

TN Mike, you tell me, because you have a lot of experience with carrying in kydex. How does the finish on your gun wear against the plastic? If you carry a Glock, the combo of Tennifer/Polymer is probably more wear resistant than just about anything else out there.

But I've always been worried about my blued guns or bead blasted stainless ones. I've felt that the kydex would be too hard on their finishes. Have any experience with that?

All holsters will wear a guns finish, but I think kydex is harder on it than leather. Plus leather just smells like... leather!

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Eye View Post
    TN Mike, you tell me, because you have a lot of experience with carrying in kydex. How does the finish on your gun wear against the plastic? If you carry a Glock, the combo of Tennifer/Polymer is probably more wear resistant than just about anything else out there.

But I've always been worried about my blued guns or bead blasted stainless ones. I've felt that the kydex would be too hard on their finishes. Have any experience with that?

All holsters will wear a guns finish, but I think kydex is harder on it than leather. Plus leather just smells like... leather!
    Over all I would agree that Kydex is probably a bit harder on the finish than leather, but that also depends on the quality of the leather and the fit of the gun in the holster I think.
    My Glocks do not show signs of finish wear no matter what I carry them in. However, I do have a gun, a Taurus PT-111 that I have carried a good bit in a Kydex holster and the finish on it has suffered some. But, that may also be due to the quality of the finish on that little gun.

As for the smell of leather, honestly, that is one of the things that I am finding that I have a mild dislike of. I guess I am just a true to the core Kydex guy. No problem, there are worse things to be.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Mike, I'm looking for a good kydex concealable. Along with the Blackhawk, are there any other brands you would recommend?

Administrator
    It has been my personal experience that most Kydex holsters do not pull the firearm in close enough to the body for best concealment OWB.
    Not really a huge problem if you're wearing a "Shoot Me First" vest or a sports jacket as a cover garment but, I mostly conceal a full size firearm under an oversize untucked T-Shirt and Kydex just does not "cut it" for me.
    Some Kydex designs are better than others but, due to their design and method of construction most just do not conceal as well as leather for me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I prefer IWB, and I have holsters in both kydex and leather for several of my weapons. The kydex always seems to 'dig' in to my side a little...and the leather never has...
    For me, the leather holsters are noticeably more comfortable...I'm sure it's an individual preference...what ever works...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Leather seems to hold in tight as well as allow some flex. When I say flex I mean if I bump my carry rig into a wall or patition at the office or the jamb of the car door getting into the car. It just seems to be a bit more forgiving on me as well. It does not dig into my fatness when setting forced to set on a hard back chair when out for supper.

Don't get me wrong I have several kydex rigs now and they are great but I just like leather for every day carry.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by steve63 View Post
    Mike, I'm looking for a good kydex concealable. Along with the Blackhawk, are there any other brands you would recommend?
    I would highly recommend this company: http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/

And I highly recommend their Infidel holster. Very well made and works great!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Personally, I like leather better, but I find that being a skinny guy, leather seems to show more. I have a Don Hume H715 iwb clip on. No matter what I do, I can't find a comfortable way to wear that thing. It just seems too thick to me. I know it's not the greatest holster in the world, but to me leather just seems too thick for iwb carry.

I own a few Kydex holsters and they work just fine but you just can't beat a fine piece of leather. They mold to your body and in my opinion just feel better to wear then Kydex.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have been wearing it for 4 days now and I have to admit, it is pretty comfortable but, while it holds the gun pretty securely, not a securely as my Blackhawk SERPA holster. And it really isn't any more comfortable than the SERPA. So I am still at a bit of a loss as to understand why some people think leather is the only way to go.
    With all due respect, I don't think that 4 days evaluation of one Don Hume holster is sufficient to judge leather holsters as a group.

You didn't say what gun you are carrying, no mention was made to the quality of your belt, we don't know how many years you have been carrying on a full-time basis and the holster that you are commentating on is possibly not considered to be the ultimate in leather holsters.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    no mention was made to the quality of your belt,
    That was my first thought too. When I first started carrying, I had a basic leather scabbard holster, but was wearing a flimsy dress belt. For months I was wondering why the G30 I was carrying this way tended to flop and sag away from the body. The holster just wouldn't stay tight.

Then someone hipped me to real gun belts and just like that -- problem solved. My problem was that the flimsy dress belt had no lateral or torsional strength to resist twisting, so the weight of the gun cause the holster to twist the belt and sag away from vertical.

Gun belt = mandatory.

Steve63,

Look at Blade-Tech, FIN Designs, or FIST. All very well made. I really like my Blade-Tech IWB and Paddle.

TN_Mike

Try one of the Hybrids like FIST has with leahter outside and kydex inside.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I own both, but prefer leather.

And like others have said, none of them work correctly without a good wide heavy belt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links