Galco Avenger Holster - Anyone?

Galco Avenger Holster - Anyone?

This is a discussion on Galco Avenger Holster - Anyone? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at getting the Galco Avenger OWB and wanted to know if anyone has this holster? It looks like a really nice holster ...

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Galco Avenger Holster - Anyone?

  1. #1
    Member Array Chase2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    62

    Galco Avenger Holster - Anyone?

    I was looking at getting the Galco Avenger OWB and wanted to know if anyone has this holster?
    It looks like a really nice holster but I am concerned about how it conceals since it has the belt loop behind the holster.
    Attached Images


  2. #2
    Member Array N-frame Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    287
    The Avenger style of holsters are great, classic holsters. I've had some Avengers and still use similar holsters from other makers (Sparks 55BN and Rosen RRR) and with the right belt they conceal just fine.

    I have to say that I sort of "feel" that I conceal a bit better with a pancake, but have no actual data or results to prove it. It may be nothing more than the blended front end of the pancake reassuring my subconscious, whereas the Avenger does have a more abrupt, blunt front end. FWIW, this style of holster is typically described as a sport, practical or range holster by many makers, though I know plenty of people, including me, who use them for concealment. And of course, the key selling point of this type of holster is the reinforced mouth which will never close or collapse on you like some pancakes do.

    The only thing I don't like about the Avenger is that the belt slots are 1.75" and I like my belt and holster to match perfectly for best stability. That's one of the reasons I buy them from the custom makers now.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

  3. #3
    Member Array Smith10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by N-frame Smith View Post
    The Avenger style of holsters are great, classic holsters. I've had some Avengers and still use similar holsters from other makers (Sparks 55BN and Rosen RRR) and with the right belt they conceal just fine.

    I have to say that I sort of "feel" that I conceal a bit better with a pancake, but have no actual data or results to prove it. It may be nothing more than the blended front end of the pancake reassuring my subconscious, whereas the Avenger does have a more abrupt, blunt front end. FWIW, this style of holster is typically described as a sport, practical or range holster by many makers, though I know plenty of people, including me, who use them for concealment. And of course, the key selling point of this type of holster is the reinforced mouth which will never close or collapse on you like some pancakes do.

    The only thing I don't like about the Avenger is that the belt slots are 1.75" and I like my belt and holster to match perfectly for best stability. That's one of the reasons I buy them from the custom makers now.

    +1 couldn't put it any better.

  4. #4
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,256
    I have one that I started using more often than my Milt Sparks VMII, I love it for my 5" 1911, Limatunes hi-jacked it while I was waiting for my VA CCW to get approved, now I'm talking it back and she is distraught.

    I have no problem concealing it with a unbuttoned shirt. It is by far one of my two favorite holsters, the other being my VMII.

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,294
    That holster looks like it has a "neutral" rake, or in other words "no" rake. If that's the case, couldn't you also use it in a cross draw position?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

  6. #6
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    That holster looks like it has a "neutral" rake, or in other words "no" rake. If that's the case, couldn't you also use it in a cross draw position?
    Possibly, but for a good cross draw, the can should be there to put the grip on an angle, it's just more natural IMHO, and won't require the bending of the wrist and give a smoother draw.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array sheepdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    691
    Chase2b, in regards to the belt loop-you seem to be concerned that there is only a rear loop. In addition to the one you see at the rear, there is a belt tunnel style loop on the back of the holster. The rear loop pulls it close against you-or at least mine does on a Del Fatti SLP that is very similar. The 1.75 belt loop referred to would seem to be the biggest negative...unless you WEAR that width all the time.
    What Would Gumby Do?

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,294
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Possibly, but for a good cross draw, the can should be there to put the grip on an angle, it's just more natural IMHO, and won't require the bending of the wrist and give a smoother draw.
    Yeah, looking at it again, it would be a greatly restricted cross draw.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Nevada Gunleather Avenger Review
    By rathos in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM
  2. Galco M4X locking holster vs SERPA level 2, worried about holster snatch
    By JWinSouthFL in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 8th, 2010, 07:14 PM
  3. Askins Avenger holster
    By chiboxer in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
  4. Hogue Avenger 1911 (Anyone found a review or used it)
    By Harold Fastwaker in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 21st, 2007, 12:47 AM
  5. The Avengerô System It's Worth A LOOK!
    By QKShooter in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2005, 01:06 AM

Search tags for this page

askins avenger holster
,
avenger holster review
,
galco askins avenger
,

galco avenger

,
galco avenger 1911
,
galco avenger 1911 review
,
galco avenger belt holster review
,
galco avenger holster
,

galco avenger holster review

,

galco avenger review

,
galco avenger reviews
,
review of galco avenger holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.