For the Wifey + Kids - Carry Question - Page 2

For the Wifey + Kids - Carry Question

This is a discussion on For the Wifey + Kids - Carry Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nuff said here. I don't think OBC is an option. Especially with little hands around. We have a soon to be 3 year old too....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Nuff said here.

I don't think OBC is an option. Especially with little hands around. We have a soon to be 3 year old too.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

While off body carry isn't the best option sometimes it's the most practical.
    I'm confused by some of the responses here. I was raised with the idea that you simply did not enter your mothers purse, it was strictly off limits with the same level of taboo as walking in on her in the bathroom.
    Kids are not difficult to teach what they can and can't touch and it's a good idea to start if you plan on having loaded guns around them.

My youngest is a Sr. in high school so I've been through all this stuff. My .02 so take it with a grain of salt.

When I was younger and our children were born I couldn't afford a gun safe (they were about unheard of, anyway) so I kept all of my firearms dismantled (barrels removed) except whichever piece was under my direct control. Under my control meant 'on my person'.

Had my wife asked, I would have never allowed her to purse carry, nor would I leave operable firearms anywhere where they could be found (by anyone). It's a different story when they are older, they have taken firearm safety, they have shot for years, and they clearly understand that if there is a thud in the night and door flies open their first assumption is that it's a family member. But for little kids - the situation warrants a major lockdown of what you have.

There is "being ready" and there is "safe storage". The two are very disparate and IMHO there isn't any middle ground where they meet. What is on your person is ready. Everything else should be in "safe storage".

Her options for security are a good man ... that's about it. She could pocket carry but most women have tight pockets Women with children are vulnerable and in many ways that is unchangeable and this is why I'm saying they need your protection until they are out of that phase of life.

I watched my kids like a hawk. When they were old enough to go to the bathroom by themselves in restaurants / malls I'd give them the thrill of independence by letting them go, but ol' dad shadowed his kids and anyone who would have thought of snatching them or molesting them would have met his maker in about a millisecond. Thankfully, that never happened, but I was always ready as you will be always ready.

Kids are the greatest thing you ever do in life ... enjoy the ride.

ADDED - On the way home from work after writing this, I noticed that the signs above the freeway said "Amber Alert". Another child snatched by a predator. Watch your kids closely and be ready to defend them.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    When I was younger and our children were born I couldn't afford a gun safe (they were about unheard of, anyway) so I kept all of my firearms dismantled (barrels removed) except whichever piece was under my direct control. Under my control meant 'on my person'.

Had my wife asked, I would have never allowed her to purse carry, nor would I leave operable firearms anywhere where they could be found (by anyone).

~snippet~

Her options for security are a good man ... that's about it. She could pocket carry but most women have tight pockets Women with children are vulnerable and in many ways that is unchangeable and this is why I'm saying they need your protection until they are out of that phase of life.
    And what are women with young children supposed to do while their husbands are at work? A good man provides for his family and that usually means working away from home, at least for part of the day. Who protects the wife and children while he's not there, if not the wife?

Kids are the greatest thing you ever do in life ... enjoy the ride.
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    And what are women with young children supposed to do while their husbands are at work? A good man provides for his family and that usually means working away from home, at least for part of the day. Who protects the wife and children while he's not there, if not the wife?
    Absolutely. We just couldn't figure out how we could do this. OWB belt carry with a sweater as a cover-garment is usually suggested - but for us this didn't work out - first because her stomach was bloated (for several years) from popping out two kids, secondly because our kids were close in age so it was one kid on each hip at the very same time - maybe others would be more diligent but my wife didn't want a kid sitting literally on top of her carry piece so it was easier for us if I look after security. These days - totally different story but I think we all have vulnerable phases in our life.

Likewise, something could happen to me that I may no longer be able to carry. Age, infirmity, losing my eyesight or other factors could rob me of the duty in which I delight - who knows maybe I will rely on my wife for protection when that day comes as she relied on me when she couldn't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    While off body carry isn't the best option sometimes it's the most practical.
    I'm confused by some of the responses here. I was raised with the idea that you simply did not enter your mothers purse, it was strictly off limits with the same level of taboo as walking in on her in the bathroom.
    Kids are not difficult to teach what they can and can't touch and it's a good idea to start if you plan on having loaded guns around them.
    My parents told us to stay out of their room too , but we snuck into every nook and cranny. It's not an issue so much as the kid sneaking in the purse ( which is a possiblity no matter what you tell them ), it's more about accessing the gun when it's needed and someone not grabbing the purse and leaving her unarmed.

I guess my parents taught us more discipline, we would never have considered getting into our mothers purse.
    I understand the possibility of the purse being stolen although that can be mitigated somewhat by use of a decently constructed purse worn properly.
    I would much rather my wife have a gun in her purse she can access than one at home she can't.
    Amyh mentioned a reasonable solution. when not wearing the purse at home, put it up where the kids can't access it if you feel you can't trust your kids, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post

When I had toddlers that age, I carried the gun in the appendix position, right side. Never had a problem with it, and found one nice bonus -- the firearm was positioned more-or-less in the area the kid was most likely to kick if he got excited while I was carrying him against my right hip. No bruise for me and a disincentive for him to haul off and kick me!

pax
    I enjoyed your website very much! Quite informative and would recommend it for any lady out there who has issues with CC...

As far as appendix carry - don't their little legs get hung up on the grip??

Skeeter - excellent points!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

pax
    2AMomma ~

Thanks for the kind word about the site.

As far as appendix carry - don't their little legs get hung up on the grip??
    Mmmmm. *thinks back*

You know, I honestly and truly can't remember it being a big issue when my kids were that size. 'Course I have a higher tolerance for discomfort than most (giving birth five times in six years will do that to a woman) ... but I tote my friends' kids around now and pretty much don't have a problem with it.

Tell you what is an issue with kids that size & appendix carry, though. Kid comes toddling to mom, mom doesn't notice him coming, he goes to bury his head on her lap -- and bonks the gun into his forehead, full speed. Followed by a loud wail...

I do know a couple women with young kids who've gone to Thunderwear-type carry, which they both report is comfy -- but they also both wear skirts all the time. That style of carry tends to create a lumpiness issue for women in jeans ...

All boils down to doing what you are willing to do, really. Me, I wasn't willing to not have a home defense gun accessible, and after weighing all my options, I decided I was willing to adjust my life a little bit, and put up with a little discomfort, in order to have the gun on my body most of the time.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I know it ain't considered much of a caliber, but an NAA or Seecamp .32 in a Milt Sparks PCH holster will literally disappear in the front pocket. I know it's a weak round, but the first rule of a gunfight is to bring a gun. Shot placement is important with the smaller guns, so practice is important.

My 2cents worth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links