For the Wifey + Kids - Carry Question

This is a discussion on For the Wifey + Kids - Carry Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have a soon-to-be 3 year old and are expecting our 2nd and last in Dec. Wifey decided she wants to shoot and is ok ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We have a soon-to-be 3 year old and are expecting our 2nd and last in Dec. Wifey decided she wants to shoot and is ok with me carrying. She has also taken the class to get her permit, but I wanted her to get range time before we got it for her. She's said that she does want to learn how to shoot. which I'm looking forward to.

Here's my question. I do not see wifey ever carrying on her person. I could be surprised, but knowing her as I hope I do, just don't think its her style. I think she would be very receptive to some type of CCW handbag. My only concern with a loaded and ready to go weapon in a purse is the curious hands of my 3 year old. I know when I was little, I would always rummage through mom's pocket book (with her permission most of the time) looking for change or candy, whatever. Are there any ladies that have gone through this that might be able to share some ideas? Home is no problem as I either wear or put it in the quick-entry safe.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Off body carry is not a good idea, and you have given a good reason why.

if off body / purse carry is a must then she will just make sure the kid stays out of there! i believe there is a much larger responcibility that one takes when a gun is in a bag/purse instead of in a holster on the body.
    it isnt easy to ALWAYS know 100% where it is and what is happening to it. if the gun is on you, you can feal it and know it is there. if its in a bag, you almost always need to have your hand on it, or at least your eyes.
    i carried in my purse once. and only once. i will never do it again.
    why? i actually forgot it once. i didnt go far, nothing happend. but when i realized that i had stepped away from my table WITHOUT MY GUN, i nearly threw up.

simply put. i personally dont see off body carry as an option.
    on body carry really isnt that difficult once you get the hang of it.
    if you can convinse her to carry on her body, it is much much safer.

Took years to get my wife to get a permit, then years to carry, then years to get it out of her purse and on her person. Most women don't wear belts, and their shapes (all kinds) can make many holsters uncomfortable...
    Definitely try to avoid the purse step, if possible...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Does your bride know that you publicly call her "wifey"?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have been trying to figure this out for myself as well...

We have a curious 2 1/2 year old and we too are expecting in Dec. Carrying on my person while carrying a baby and/or a toddler at the same time is not an option. I have looked into the Maxpeditions as I can see it being used as an all purpose carry bag for EVERYTHING that a mom of a toddler/baby combo could need(not too mention it is comparably priced with "CC Handbags"). I am not as comfortable with carrying in a bag as I would be on my person, but I would rather have a place for it than not have it at all.

The back pocket of the Jumbo Versipack seems inconspicuous enough that unless your toddler sees you or her getting into it they may not even realize it is there.

I do plan to carry on person once I am able to wear a belt that doesn't fit the circumference of a tent...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

see www.corneredcat.com great information there. Have your wife read it, as it is written from a woman's POV
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My Mom always kept her purse on top of the refrigerator, to keep little hands out of it. By the time we were old enough to reach it, we were old enough to know better than to mess with Mom's purse.

VIP Member
    Realistically speaking. If she is going to need her gun, it is going to happen so fast, she probably would'nt have time to grab a gun that is not on her person. What if someone grabs HER and she has set her bag down to strap the young'n in the car seat or something?
    I don't think off body carry should even be an option. If it's on her person, she wont have to worry about the young'n getting ahold of it. That's how accidents happen. Only takes one distraction. Why not eliminate it?

I believe off-body carry is not good. Also, serious consideration has to be taken when to / not to shoot. And clean-up of all the lead after shooting before coming in contact with the young-ins.

I have a 6-month old baby in the house. I no longer use the safe-packer. Off body carry is just too easy to set it down and forget about for a spell.

Also, I keep my shooting shoes out in the garage, and shower before even touching my baby.

hm. one thing i never thought of.
    how do you carry a toddler with a gun on the hip?
    you cant always carry the kid on just one side, you gotta switch back and forth (kids are heavy!)
    granted i wont have to deal with this for a while, but something im curious about

pax
    friesepferd ~

When I had toddlers that age, I carried the gun in the appendix position, right side. Never had a problem with it, and found one nice bonus -- the firearm was positioned more-or-less in the area the kid was most likely to kick if he got excited while I was carrying him against my right hip. No bruise for me and a disincentive for him to haul off and kick me!

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Off body carry is not a good idea...
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lot of good comments. Thanks guys and gals.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Off body carry is not a good idea.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links