Trying to decide the best IWB carry position for me

This is a discussion on Trying to decide the best IWB carry position for me within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would think that 12-130 would be the most comfortable position for me. I don't see too many ppl carrying in that spot though. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide the best IWB carry position for me

I would think that 12-130 would be the most comfortable position for me. I don't see too many ppl carrying in that spot though. I just dont think it would be comfortable on my hip or back. List your positives and negatives in carry position experience. I dont really have a gut, Im 6 ft 210lbs. I need to pick a holster as I am a few weeks away from my permit. Please list where you carry and why. Thanks

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

1:30 - appendix carry is actually fairly popular.
    the main restriction of that one is the barrel length- dont need the thing to jab u in the leg when you sit down.

Oh I should prob mention that my carry gun will be M&P Compact .40 so its fairly small. 3.5" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamisou View Post
    Oh I should prob mention that my carry gun will be M&P Compact .40 so its fairly small. 3.5" barrel.
    A gun that small will disappear at 12 noon. Any bulging will not be questioned.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Wow thanks Celticwolf!

It allows you also to tuck in your shirt. If you feel the need.

yep thats what i have too.
    nice holster

I don't own one yet, but heard great reviews. I'm planning on ordering mine next paycheck.

VIP Member
    I'm just guessing but I think you'll change your mind once you actually start carrying.

A good holster will open up a lot of possibilities. You should really try other options before you assume you won't like them.

I tried appendix carry. Got tired of being poked every time I would bend over. I now carry a full sized P-220 IWB at 04:00 (Milt Sparks VersaMax-II) and it's not at all uncomfortable.

Experiment!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Being 6 ft and slight change myself and weighing 180 to 200 depending on my physical activity ect.. call it 190 average . I will say that for me comfort when i do anything but stand , as well as my training point to me carrying from 3:30 and back , now this varies with pistol , pants , holster , belt , and a lot of factors going to 6:00 for a SOB holster . A gun in the front is simply not comfortable throughout the day for me , i tend to spend too much time setting ( it binds ) either driving or working on a puter . I can move it crossdraw , but its not enough faster to rule out slightly behind the hip strongside . My best reccomendation to a new carryer is to recognise that male or female when you stand straight your butt cheeks make a hollow , point the pistol into that hollow on the strong side no matter the cant or leingth of the gun . With that carry you will carry comfortable , and with a good holster have no issues getting a full grip for a draw . If i carry from 9 to 3 then i have issues , some of them comfort and some of them getting a grip when seated no matter the posture .. If i carry to the back i can almost allways lean foreward to draw , seldom can i or would i want to lean back to draw while seated .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I started out IWB carrying around 3:30 or 4:00, it was pretty comfortable and seemed to conceal well. Harder to reach, especially when seated, not to mention less comfortable when seated. (This is with a 5" all steel 1911) I settled right on 2:45-3:00 and its great. Comfortable for everything I do, hides great, easy to access. I have a snubnose I carry appendix IWB when I wear less clothes - I wear that about 1:30 or so in a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock.

Austin

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    oO( i just gotta buy one of them machines advertised on tv since my fat old butt finds a too big belt buckle an inconvenience . Of course i suspect yall may all be younger lads than i lol . )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I tried OWB, Ankle, Etc...I finally decided IWB 1:30 with a S&W Snubbie work the best for me.

The clipdraw has since been 86'd in favor of an el cheapo uncle mikes which works perfect for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links