Defensive Carry banner

Need a good IWB holster

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  rathos 
#1 ·
I need a good IWB holster but I keep running into the same issue. Most of them require (or at least are the most comfortable) carrying behind the hip. For me that is just too much of a reach and I feel the gun pokes me more. I like to carry my springfield 5" 1911 or my beretta 92 and I am currently looking to purchase a p226 SAS. I want an IWB holster that I can carry on my hip, and even though I know its redundant I would also like to have a thumbsnap option (I am getting into law enforcement and would like to be able to carry my duty weapons plain clothes in a holster that I could possibly use for plain clothes duty as well). Any ideas? Maybe even some without the thumbsnap option, I can always carry owb if need be for that.

#3 ·
not a huge fan of kydex for inside the waistband. They don't seem to bend and flex like leather. I used a don hume for a while with my hk but with the 1911 the hammer tends to poke into my waist, if I could find one similar to it with a sweat guard I would be set.

#16 ·
I think, for minimum leather and the cant adjustment, this may be a good option for you. I have used this model for various handguns for years, and while I have since moved away from thumb-break holsters for CCW, I was never disappointed with this model's performance (owned three different for different pistols and revolvers).

Good luck with whatever you choose! :hand10:

#6 ·
CompTac Mtac. Wear it while you wait for your custom leather.

#7 ·
Will this sit on my hip? The problem I have found with most of these holsters that have the clips far apart for "support" is that they won't sit on your hip comfortably. If I was going to get a IWB from comptac I would prolly go with the infidel as it would give the most options.

#8 ·
yeah i used a CTAC for 2 years and it sat right at 3-3:30 and was very comfortable. The MTAC is the same concept just with leather.

#9 · (Edited)
I wear my Garrity Incognito Deluxe on my hip - right about 3 o'clock. Maybe 2:45 even. Its not as comfortable as my bed, but it isn't bad either. I can wear it all day with my full size all steel 1911 with no problems. Naturally a good belt is a must - mine is a 1 3/4" from the Beltman. The support being far apart is not really a factor for me - I think it helps distribute the weight, and it doesn't effect concealment at all IMO. If you didn't notice, lots of the holster makers are turning out these wide spaced loops - they work! I think if you want a thumbsnap you can have it from pretty much any custom holster maker. However, if its going to be IWB, the gun is not going to come out. I could hang upside down and my gun would stay right where it belongs.

Austin

As far as most comfortable behind the hip, the depends. My gun feels like it hides better if I wear it at 4:00 or even 4:30 - but if I try to reach it, or have to sit down, all the sudden its not so great. So I moved it up to where its easier to reach, and not quite as comfortable. Simple solution for me - might not work for everybody. It does conceal perfectly at 3:00 - just doesn't feel as sneaky.

#11 ·
The belt isn't an issue, I have a great plastic reinforced 1.5 inch belt from beltman. The holster I have now is a ted blocker da3, and it digs into my hip and leg if I seat the pistol where I like to wear it because of the stablizing fins on it.

#20 ·
My experience is that it will have to ride a little forward or a little to the rear of 3:00 for comfort and concealment. The Milt Sparks VMII is designed -according to thier documentation - to be worn on the hip. I have not used a VMII - but I can recommend the Crossbreed. Although I don't think it would be comfortable on the hip. With the design of the human body - I don't think to many IWB holsters would ride to well directly at 3:00 . jmo

#21 ·
Thanks to everyone that has replied to far. I will take into consideration all the options given and see if I can find a few that wear comfortably. I greatly appreciate all the insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.