Need a good IWB holster

This is a discussion on Need a good IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a good IWB holster but I keep running into the same issue. Most of them require (or at least are the most comfortable) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good IWB holster

Need a good IWB holster

I need a good IWB holster but I keep running into the same issue. Most of them require (or at least are the most comfortable) carrying behind the hip. For me that is just too much of a reach and I feel the gun pokes me more. I like to carry my springfield 5" 1911 or my beretta 92 and I am currently looking to purchase a p226 SAS. I want an IWB holster that I can carry on my hip, and even though I know its redundant I would also like to have a thumbsnap option (I am getting into law enforcement and would like to be able to carry my duty weapons plain clothes in a holster that I could possibly use for plain clothes duty as well). Any ideas? Maybe even some without the thumbsnap option, I can always carry owb if need be for that.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

2. Remove Ads

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

not a huge fan of kydex for inside the waistband. They don't seem to bend and flex like leather. I used a don hume for a while with my hk but with the 1911 the hammer tends to poke into my waist, if I could find one similar to it with a sweat guard I would be set.

— George Mason

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Not aware of too many that offer a thumb break option. I'd recommend you get on the phone and consult with a few of the makers. Based on your wants/needs/past experiences etc., they could design a true custom rig for you.

The only IWB holster with a thumb-break that I know of is Bianchi's Model 3S "Pistol Pocket". An additional feature is it's cant adjustment.

Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

CompTac Mtac. Wear it while you wait for your custom leather.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    CompTac Mtac. Wear it while you wait for your custom leather.
    Will this sit on my hip? The problem I have found with most of these holsters that have the clips far apart for "support" is that they won't sit on your hip comfortably. If I was going to get a IWB from comptac I would prolly go with the infidel as it would give the most options.

— George Mason

yeah i used a CTAC for 2 years and it sat right at 3-3:30 and was very comfortable. The MTAC is the same concept just with leather.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I wear my Garrity Incognito Deluxe on my hip - right about 3 o'clock. Maybe 2:45 even. Its not as comfortable as my bed, but it isn't bad either. I can wear it all day with my full size all steel 1911 with no problems. Naturally a good belt is a must - mine is a 1 3/4" from the Beltman. The support being far apart is not really a factor for me - I think it helps distribute the weight, and it doesn't effect concealment at all IMO. If you didn't notice, lots of the holster makers are turning out these wide spaced loops - they work! I think if you want a thumbsnap you can have it from pretty much any custom holster maker. However, if its going to be IWB, the gun is not going to come out. I could hang upside down and my gun would stay right where it belongs.

Austin

As far as most comfortable behind the hip, the depends. My gun feels like it hides better if I wear it at 4:00 or even 4:30 - but if I try to reach it, or have to sit down, all the sudden its not so great. So I moved it up to where its easier to reach, and not quite as comfortable. Simple solution for me - might not work for everybody. It does conceal perfectly at 3:00 - just doesn't feel as sneaky.
    Last edited by aus71383; November 6th, 2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add some more

JD
    Administrator
    Desantis makes a pretty good leather IWB with thumb break.

http://www.desantisholster.com/098.html

The belt isn't an issue, I have a great plastic reinforced 1.5 inch belt from beltman. The holster I have now is a ted blocker da3, and it digs into my hip and leg if I seat the pistol where I like to wear it because of the stablizing fins on it.

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Desantis makes a pretty good leather IWB with thumb break.

http://www.desantisholster.com/098.html

I've used this model and actually cut down the size of the wing hanging out the rear of the holster. Resewed and it's a ton more comfortable. I use VM2's now.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I just looked at that holster - lots of leather there. I can see what you mean about digging in on the hip and leg. My holster has smooth edges and narrows down at the bottom - might still dig in depending on body type but probably not as much if at all.

Austin

Oops, forgot to let you know who makes it. Brigadegunleather.com Sorry don't know how to make it a link. Item M-37 C.C.H. 2 Also available in brown.
    Last edited by huntemup; November 6th, 2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: forgot to list item#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links