Thank You

Thank You

This is a discussion on Thank You within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a short thank you for all the inputs on my Holsters at http://www.rockingwholsters.com...

Thread: Thank You

Thank You

Just a short thank you for all the inputs on my Holsters at http://www.rockingwholsters.com

Roy,

How are you offering a product made of "Elephant" (hide), and why?
    Elephants are an at risk species.

http://www.rockingw.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=323130

http://www.worldwildlife.org/elephants
    http://www.fws.gov/species/species_a.../bio_elep.html

- Janq's 4yr. old daughter is an elephant nut
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    How are you offering a product made of "Elephant" (hide), and why? Elephants are an at risk species.
    There are many products being made of elephant hide. It's legal, ethical and being used by many manufacturers. I doubt seriously we are talking about the same elephants. I have a pair of Justin elephant boots that are about my favorite.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper,

Before today and this thread I'd not heard of anything being made of elephant hide past once seeing a pair of western style boots made from same and being offered for an obscene amount of money at a custom fashion clothing store. And that was like 20yrs. ago, before elephants were as they are now downgraded as a species to being at risk for endangerment.

I only know of two types of elephant, African and Asian type and they both are at risk species.
    If there is some third kind of elephant that is not at risk and plentiful as a source then hey I'm cool with that. Otherwise not so much.

- Janq

P.S. - Admittedly I am not an elephant expert so I might be misinformed or even completely wrong on this. But As I understand it unlike cows and ostritch which are abundant, farmed, and as a species easily kept out of danger of extinction the elephant is not in such a way.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Actually, Elephants can be hunted if you have really big bucks to spend. The money is used to improve their habitat, their meat is used by locals, and it is used to kill off the old ones that will soon die anyway, along with some truely wild killer bulls.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I still wear my elephant 'cowboy' boots that I bought in '92. They only cost me around $200.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Update:

A fellow board member privately forwarded the following information to me a moment ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellow Member
    Hi Janq.
    This might help to answer some of your questions.

Existing remaining domestic supplies of African Elephant ivory already in the United States are 100% legal and able to be bought, sold, and traded Interstate and without restriction but, Elephant ivory cannot be exported out of the U.S. and no new African Elephant ivory can be imported into the U.S. with the exception of some C.I.T.E.S. documented legally taken trophy ivory.

Some limited quantity of African Elephant Hide is now C.I.T.E.S. tagged and approved for legal import into the U.S.
    The hides are tagged and are from carefully controlled government culling programs since elephant populations have increased and due to severe naturally occurring drought conditions their habitat/environment cannot support that increased population. The money derived from the sale of the hides is used to support the remaining live population in various ways.
    So yes, some limited African Elephant hide is now entering into the U.S.
    Thanks guys for helping me better understand this.
    I figured there must be some reason I just didn't understand what it was or how it might be.

Regards,

- Janq

Administrator
    Whoops! no need for a duplicate. An Addition though:

No Asian Elephant ivory or body parts can enter into the United States.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

No offense to anyone here or their choices, but me personally, I couldn't get anything with elephant hide. I just wouldn't feel right about it.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    No offense to anyone here or their choices, but me personally, I couldn't get anything with elephant hide. I just wouldn't feel right about it.
    Well, a decent analogy in this case would be the Tibetan Monks.
    When a monk died they would take his bones and carve them into prayer beads and use the skull and bones for various other useful, functional, or decorative purposes.

Their choices would be to either put his remains to some good use or put his remains into the ground and let them rot and decay.

No matter what they decided to do with his "Earthly Remains" neither choice could bring him back to life.

So this is basically a case of either waste it or use it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I get this question alot about a few of my leather jackets. They're made of front quarter horsehide, and some people recoil in shock: "A horse was killed to make that jacket??" Nooo. Very few animals these days are slaughtered for their hides. In this case (and probably with the elephant hide), most are from natural death. Just one of the reasons horshide is more espensive than cow, lamb or goat. Its not raised on a farm for slaughter.

Sponsored Links