G29 and CTAC...

G29 and CTAC...

This is a discussion on G29 and CTAC... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. Got a bit of an issue here. First, I am 6'4" at 170 lbs. Yea, I know, I'm skinny. Anyways....I've got a G29 ...

Thread: G29 and CTAC...

G29 and CTAC...

Hello all.

Got a bit of an issue here. First, I am 6'4" at 170 lbs. Yea, I know, I'm skinny.

Anyways....I've got a G29 that I'm having issues with as far as concealability goes. I bought a VM2, didn't like the fit. Seemed really bulky at any o'clock. Sold it, buying a CTAC.

So...I'm needing some advice. I wear my shirts tucked in when not wearing a jacket. Going to work, jacket on; once at work, jacket off, shirt tucked in.

Does anyone have any experience with the CTAC and a G29/30? How's it workin' out for ya?

Thanks a lot you all,

CW

I have no experience with the g30, but have concealed multiple firearms in a VMII and CTAC at 4 oclock without any printing and it was comfortable, also a skinny guy. By bulky do you mean it prints or its just uncomfortable?

Just didn't seem like it rode low enough to keep the butt from printing. I didn't like the feel of it either. It was a nice holster, no joke, but it just wasn't for me.

CW

I had a G30, I carried it in a comp-tac infidel (tucking a shirt isn't a concern of mine). I first had a c-tac for it, You can adjust the c-tac to sit low and it did a good job of concealing the gun, but wasn't all that comfortable. Then I bought a VMII for it, it was more comfortable than the c-tac but less concealable. Then I got the infidel with the gurkha strut, much more comfortable and still concealable with an untucked button down shirt. I ended up selling the gun because it was just too thick to carry imo. Check out the comp-tac M-tac, looks more comfortable than the c-tac.

The key to the CTAC is doing the "Tab flip" where you reverse one of the tabs. It drops the holster lower into your pant line and makes WORLDS of difference in terms of comfort. I carried a Glock 23 in one before switching to my G30... I now carry that in a MTAC holster (Mainly due to the changable bodies for other guns) and I really like it. It's comfortable and conceals real well. I don't normally tuck, but I see no reason why I couldn't get away with it. Are you tucking polos or dress shirts? If I think of it, I'll check back tomorrow and snap a pic of the G30 in the MTAC with a tucked polo or button down. For the record... I'm 6' and 175lbs.

I'll wear plaid long sleeve button ups all the time. A lot of the time, with them not tucked in. Sometimes however, I'll wear a Polo tucked in.

That would be cool if you could snap some pics. Thanks,

CW

get the MTAC. leather backing is MUCH more comfortable.

If set on Comp-Tac - go with the MTAC. The Crossbreed is just a little better on comfort - I own both. I carry a Glock 23 & 27 in my Crossbreed. I think the blockyness (is that a word?) of the Glock lends to a little of the bulk. I can still tuck without too much problems printing - but at times it is tough. I have a few guns I switch between. For great concealment I use my Kel-Tec PF9 - super thin and super light.

CTAC or MTAC.....both are good, tuckable holsters. I own both of 'em, ahve tucked both of 'em too. The purpose for the MTAC is for comfort when I'm not wearing an undershirt.....the leather is much more comfortable, especially in the hot summer months.
    All that said, my G23 conceals (nearly disappears) under a tucked in button down and/or polo. Your G29 should (probley) become invisiable on your frame underneath a tucked CTAC.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

G29 a thick gun for tuckable carry

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
    I've got a G29 that I'm having issues with as far as concealability goes. I bought a VM2, didn't like the fit. Seemed really bulky at any o'clock. Sold it, buying a CTAC.

So...I'm needing some advice. I wear my shirts tucked in when not wearing a jacket. Going to work, jacket on; once at work, jacket off, shirt tucked in.
    I am familiar with the Glock 29 and similar size Glock 30. These are guns with short barrel and grip, but they are very thick through the grip area due to a wide double stack magazine. While they will conceal adequately with belt carry and an untucked shirt, I don't think they conceal easily in a tuckable holster with the shirt tucked in. The grip is just too thick and the "bump" will be visible to many people, compromising your concealment.

I realize that you like the G29, but if good concealment is important to you at work, you may have to get a smaller gun that can be pocket carried. I believe that pocket carry of a small gun will always be less visible than using a tuckable holster with a larger gun.

I believe that the two best guns available for pocket carry are one of the S&W airweight J frame revolvers, such as the internal hammer 642/442, or the smallest polymer Kahrs such as the models PM9 and PM40. With a good pocket holster and pleated, dark colored trousers these guns will fit easily into a pants pocket and not be visible. These guns tend to weigh 15 to 17 ounces empty and give you 5 to 7 rounds of capacity.

Here is a picture of the Kahr PM9:

Try a CrossBreed. I wear my G29 14-16 hours a day without a concern. VERY comfortable and ALWAYS where I expect it to be.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Sponsored Links