Smartcarry Holster? - Page 3

Smartcarry Holster?

This is a discussion on Smartcarry Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As far as fitting your three inch 1911 I carry a 3 inch xd in mine which is thicker, and even my wife can't tell ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry Holster?

As far as fitting your three inch 1911 I carry a 3 inch xd in mine which is thicker, and even my wife can't tell when I'm carrying. As far as sizing goes, I got one the same size as my waist and it works great. I prefer the white one, but thats because I wear a white undershirt tucked in under the smart carry so it adds a level of concealment. Something you may want to think about. You also have to wear your belt slightly looser, so that you can get to the gun easily enough. The only problem I can see is if you bend over it would kinda be like the thong effect. People may see the band if your pants ride low and your shirt rides up, they may ask. Dunno just a thought. As long as you wear belt with your pants you should be okay.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

When I need deep concealment, I change to a pocket gun

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    When I need deep concealment, I change to a pocket gun
    I don't have any pockets that will fit a 3 inch 1911 or other decent caliber auto. Thus I use the smart carry. Especially on dressed up occasion, a pocket carry will print in a good pair of dress pants, a smart carry will not.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

agree with S3,
    i switched from kahr pm9 to springfield emp as my back up gun.
    possible to carry pm9 in pocket with baggy dress pants and jacket. otherwise it went into the smartcarry.
    the emp cant be carried in the pocket as far as im concerned. it stays in the smartcarry.
    only option ive found that im comfortable with is galco usa tuckable iwb. it works as a back up but takes time to draw.
    jmho
    tom

when i asked about sizing, i meant the small / med / large of the smart carry, not the band size

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    when i asked about sizing, i meant the small / med / large of the smart carry, not the band size
    I'll check mine when I get home, I'm not wearing it today. I'm thinking the medium is what you'll want.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

It's slow to access your weapon.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I've been packin in my SC for four days now, and 5 mins ago was discovered by G/F It was the old Johnson check, and Whamo! Concealment breach! Gotta thank Passive101 from glock talk for the vids. I'm glad I bought this holster! I highly recommend it. I feel like an undercover agent when I strap on in the morn.

Just got my ccw license, so...
    I'm leery about carrying a DAO/LE-type gun, with the light trigger pull, in the Smartcarry/Thunderwear-type holster. Kind of like carrying a SA cocked and UNlocked down there. Is the trigger area rigid enough to protect the trigger? I don't even want to think about the consequences of an AD in THAT area. Ouch.
    I prefer the LEM trigger and am considering a H&K P2000SK with a SC holster for CCW (I'm comfortable with a H&K USP compact), but maybe something with a safety or decocker? Or else a more rigid holster?

Quote Originally Posted by rcj5 View Post
    I prefer the LEM trigger and am considering a H&K P2000SK with a SC holster for CCW (I'm comfortable with a H&K USP compact), but maybe something with a safety or decocker? Or else a more rigid holster?
    I have a P2000SK .40 LEM that I routinely put in my SmartCarry. No issues at all for either comfort or printing. I can keep my shirt outside of my pants so that simplifies access too. Choosing from the available heel plates for your magazines may make your own setup print less. For me, I can use the higher capacity 10-rd USPc / P2000 mags with the X-Grip. Yes, that does print more but under my shirt, I can easily hide it while gaining the extra grip length and round.

Go with the LEM. No safety lever is necessary. Stay with the standard 8lb. trigger pull. Make ABSOLUTELY sure that the handgun is unloaded (but mag in place) when you practice how to extract it from the holster. I pull with the grip ONLY until I've cleared my belt line, then quickly re-grip it in a shooting hold. With practice, it's very fluid and won't cost you precious time.

Just got my ccw license, so...
    I'm leery about carrying a DAO/LE-type gun, with the light trigger pull, in the Smartcarry/Thunderwear-type holster. Kind of like carrying a SA cocked and UNlocked down there. Is the trigger area rigid enough to protect the trigger? I don't even want to think about the consequences of an AD in THAT area. Ouch.
    there is a video online by passive101 about this very thing.
    the smart carry is rigid enough to protect the trigger

I'm considering the smart carry too.

One I am very happy w/ for a 3" 1911 is the Kangaroo holster. Like a belly band but with one shoulder strap. Very comfortable under tucked in shirt, but slow draw.

I'm leery about carrying a DAO/LE-type gun, with the light trigger pull, in the Smartcarry/Thunderwear-type holster.
    I have similar concerns. It is not a rigid holster, although I think the cloth sides of the SmartCarry are probably rigid enough for most guns. I had a real mental problem with carrying a Glock; the trigger seemed too light and short in stock or optimized form, and a bit too stiff and gritty with the NY spring, even after polishing. In short, I couldn't get it where it felt both safe and good to shoot. I also wanted a discrete external safety (for multiple reasons). But I digress...

I feel extremely comfortable carrying an HK USPc variant 1 (traditional SA/DA) with hammer down and safety on. I'd basically have to spend a lot of time in a cement mixer full of rocks before it would ever discharge accidentally.
    HK P7 PSP is also no sweat, but I did experiment a bit first to prove to myself how hard it would be to accidentally squeeze the cocking lever using the cloth lip of the holster.

For me, I wouldn't carry cocked-and-locked. That said, the inventor of the SmartCarry seems to be a very thoughtful guy and he does just that.

Having just bought a J-frame S&W, I anticipate being fine but will try some experimentation first to reassure myself that there's no way the trigger will get accidentally pulled, given length and weight of pull.

Some people are probably thinking "ninny". But my point is that I carefully explored the gun and holster and figured out what the limits were for my situation. Doing so yourself will probably tell you quite quickly what feels comfortable and what doesn't.

Enjoy; it's a great holster and will probably allow you to carry when you otherwise wouldn't.

HTH,
    Dave

I purchased the Smartcarry after I received my CCW permit about 6 months ago. I've worn it almost everyday since. I wear a suit at work and find that if I layer the Smartcarry belt between my undershirt and my dress shirt, the velco part of the belt doesn't cause any discomfort issues. There is plenty of support in the holster to do the intended job. I carry a Taurus PT111 9mm. I wouldn't hesitate carrying my Glock 19 or a small 1911 in this.

I also use a CompTac IWB holster too, but the Smart carry is used 90% of the time I carry. Smartcarry is an easy way for me to carry everyday, no matter what I'm wearing.. Unless I slip into my Speedo swim suit... ;-)

Will

What do you mean you don't carry in the speedo? I would. lol
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links