Smartcarry Holster?

This is a discussion on Smartcarry Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by S3ymour What do you mean you don't carry in the speedo? I would. lol I may regret revealing this, but I have ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry Holster?

Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    What do you mean you don't carry in the speedo? I would. lol
    I may regret revealing this, but I have carried in a cup jock before. After removing the cup, my XD9-sc fit nicely. Hey, it was an emergency! I was wearing a tucked in shirt, and it was before I had a Smartcarry. At some point I sewed a line across the bottom of the jock so the gun wouldn't travel.

Now to further open myself up for derision, I was concerned about moisture, so I placed the XD in an open sandwich bag and then inserted it into the compartment. It worked and kept my gun dry. I suppose a lot of people wouldn't do what I did, but at least I followed the first rule... have a gun with me.

2. Remove Ads

Grady I applaud you for your honesty and for your creativity....also for making me laugh so freaking hard while at work. Everyone was looking at me funny.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    Grady I applaud you for your honesty and for your creativity....also for making me laugh so freaking hard while at work. Everyone was looking at me funny.
    Thank you. I've learned a lot from the openness and honesty of others here--sometimes what to do, and sometimes what NOT to do, so the least I can do is be open myself.

BTW, that jock holster DID work, it just took me awhile to sew the bottom outline of the gun, so the gun wouldn't slip all the way under. It was very functional for a poor man's Smartcarry.

I'd seen the SmartCarry website a couple of months ago and was wondering if it was as concealable as they claimed. I found out a couple of weeks ago in my CCW class when the instructor pulled a 5" S&W Model 500 out of the front of his pants. Needless to say 25 chins hit the floor at the same time. This was a couple of hours into the class and he'd been getting up from his chair, walking around and standing in front of us all night without anyone suspecting.

I just received mine this weekend and from the limited amount of experience I have with it, it conceals my p2000sk VERY well and is fairly comfortable so far.

I tried Smartcarry and sent it back. It was by far the most uncomfortable method I've ever tried. It was constantly pinching the sensitive areas and I could not stand it.

Red face Smartcarry

I also tried the SC with little success. I really really wanted it to work for me but I couldn't deal with it poking my gut and pushing on my belt when seated. It is great when standing up but at my desk and in the car it just wouldn't cut it. I am still holding on to mine hoping that someday I will find a way to wear it all day . Different strokes for different folks.

I just received mine over the weekend. I like it.

It will mainly be used for carrying a S&W 340 M&P, but I ordered a medium Smart Carry so I will be able to carry my 2" model 10 or another gun up to the size of a 4-1/4" Commander. The 340 just sits a little bit lower in the medium holster.

It works great for me when I'm wearing carpenter jeans, khakis, or dress pants, all of which fit more loose. I tried wearing my tighter-fitting 550 Levis today, and it was a bit too uncomfortable and bulging. I need to stop wearing tight jeans anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    I need to stop wearing tight jeans anyway.
    ... yea you do

When I first tried mine it would poke my gut. Then I lowered it a bit on my hips and it felt much better. Tight pants make it more uncomfortable to wear. My suit pants or dockers with pleats work great and are very comfortable. I use the Small size Smart carry for the PT111 I carry.

Was going to post this as its own thread and then saw this one... here is my take:

Yet another Smart Carry review (totally unsolicited)….

I have had mine for a few weeks. IWB holsters didn’t work for me at all due to body shape (and I invested 100’s of dollars and tried them all!). OWB worked great for me and there are several (with UBG Bonneville being my favorite) that I use regularly when dressed with an untucked shirt.

My issue, like many others, was a comfortable way to carry with a tucked shirt. I saw the Smart Carry at several gun shows, read many of the reviews here, watched the videos and laughed at them all as being one of the silliest ideas I have seen in a long time.

I carry either a 1911 officer’s model or a Kahr PM9. I got the medium size and it fit both weapons just fine. Here are my comments…

Positive…

• Comfort – wow…the laugh is on me. Folks…I have to join the others and say that if worn properly, this is even more comfortable than the OWB rigs.

• Concealment – 100% total…enough said.

• Ease of Access – I can actually get the handgun to the “ready” as fast as I can with my thumb break OWB rigs. You just need to practice a bit (unloaded gun, of course).

• Magazine Pouch – get to carry an extra Mag, which is a comforting bonus.

• Favorite Feature – How I can go most of the day forgetting that I am carrying a weapon and not worrying about printing or exposure.

Negative…

• First Impression – stitching is not professional looking. However, it doesn’t distract from functionality at all.

• Velcro Straps have sharp edges, but the adjustability makes these worth it and I only feel those edges on rare extreme bending maneuvers – these may reduce itself after a washing or two.

• Driving – If you want to have quick access to the handgun, transfer it to a pocket holster – almost impossible to draw when behind the wheel. Do not confuse this difficulty with one in any seated position…I can draw seated as long as I can straighten first (no steering wheel).

Bottom line…for the price, this rig performs as advertised and it a solid option for those of you who are looking for something like this. Guys…if you have nice set of love handles, you owe it to yourself to look into this.
    PortlandZinMan
    ---------------------
    Glock 19 - Kimber Aegis II - Kahr PM9 - Ruger Mark II
    S&W M&P 40 - S&W M&P 9c - S&W Model 60 - NAA .22 Magnum
    ---------------------

Hello from Naples, FL. ; Where it is warm most of the year.
    I have been using the SmartCarry for my S&W 669 for over two years and use
    it 75% of the time. I use a stall in the rest room and feel I am in perfect control of my area. On the fast draw with practice it comes out clean every time and no fear of AD. Once again , Thanks Charlie
    Bignob Naples, FL
    NRA Member

portlandzinman-
    is medium the right size for the aegis?

Sitting??

OK i have a question.
    I have a full size 1911 TRP
    i have read all the posts on the website about it being great.
    Does anyone or has anyone had any experience with carring a 5" 1911 in the Smart Carry?

ALSO!!!!
    i was running it by a friend and they where like "I wander if that will make you sit with your legs all spread eagle?"
    so i must ask because i have heard ZERO on sitting down and how it affects the way you sit. I watch passive101 on youtube and she sits all spread eagle. But maybe thats how he sits. Will I be able to sit in a professional environment?

Thanks for all of your help

Not sure about a full size 1911, but I have no problems wearing mine for a 200 mile drive or sitting at a variety of different chairs whilst wearing a 4" 1911 or similar sized weapon.

Comparing my Kimber Stainless Covert and my HK P2000: The Kimber is a litter heavier but thinner thus being even more comfortable than the lighter but thicker HK. With either gun I will forget I am carrying, especially while standing.

When sitting, I am more cognitive of the weapon but not uncomfortably so. My posture is not unnatural or exaggerated, nor is it "unusually wide."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links