Smartcarry Holster?

This is a discussion on Smartcarry Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been debating the best holster for appendix carry, and narrowed it down to the Smartcarry. Thoughts? There are more than 29 pages of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry Holster?

Smartcarry Holster?

I have been debating the best holster for appendix carry, and narrowed it down to the Smartcarry. Thoughts? There are more than 29 pages of praise from buyers who sell me well. The only thing I think would be uncomfortable is to have a inner velcro belt under my normal shorts. I think it would bunch my boxers up in the back, or make my undergarments uncomfy. Let me know if you have one, thoughts, or if you didnt like yours etc. - Thanks

2. Remove Ads

ckd
    Welcome! You might want to try the "search" feature for smartcarry and thunderwear; lots of discussion on this item.

My two cents - great concealment with dark one size up pleated pants, but hotter than heck, and getting quick with the draw takes work. I prefer pocket carry or even ankle carry.

When you mention shorts, do you mean regular shorts or underwear? It goes on top of the underwear.

Mine had a tendency to ride up in back after several hours, so now I bring the top edge of my underwear up and turn down an inch or so over the top of the smartcarry belt (back only--I leave the front of my underwear flat), attaching it to the velcro. I expose some of the velcro so the underwear will stick. This keeps the velcro belt from riding up in back. Tight underwear will be uncomfortable if you do this, but with loose underwear it's fine.

If your gun has a big grip or wide grip, it may produce a small bump on your strong side where the grip ends. To counter this, I ordered a double-holstered Smartcarry, and use the holster farthest from my strong hand. The gun still faces normally, but now the small bump is almost in line with the zipper. Sometimes it doesn't show, but if it does, it looks more normal.

Another option is the security Smartcarry. The security model has a full-length pouch behind the holsters. My holsters are medium size for an XD subcompact, etc., but I also have a full-size S&W. The S&W is almost too thin-barrelled and top-heavy for the medium holsters, but the security pouch holds it quite nicely. I can't draw as quick from the pouch, but when I use the security pouch, I have a primary in an IWB holster.

I use different holsters for different occasions. When concealment is preferred but not life-altering if I show, I prefer inner waistband. But with the Smartcarry, I can carry anywhere that doesn't have metal detectors. I can carry with tucked in shirt and nice pants, and it won't show. For me it is an option of last resort for highly critical areas, and it performs its function well. I will always have a Smartcarry for my most critical carrying occasions. During those times, there is no better option for me. While wearing it, I am able to climb, crawl, twist, carry things, etc., and it stays in place without showing. I am not able to be so active with any other holster method and still maintain secrecy.

One last recommendation: you might consider the white one over the dark one. If any of it shows in back when you bend over, a white one may be more readily mistaken for underwear than the dark one.

It may not be as fast of a draw unless you practice a lot, but if concealment for you is critical, I think you will appreciate this holster.

Ckd both search terms had zero results, your thoughts are appreciated.

I've been wearing a Smart Carry with my Glock 27 practically everyday for the past few months. It took some getting used to, and drawing requires a bit of practice. It is remarkably comfortable, but I also wear an A-shirt almost all of the time. If you keep your shirt untucked (or tucked in using the examples on thunderwear and smart carry's websites, the band shouldn't be noticable.

ckd
    Gamisou, sorry, try "smart carry", with a space; it turned up >five pages that may directly or in more cases, indirectly help.

or try this search link:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...earchid=843241

I own one, but can only wear it comfortably in the colder months, still prefer pocket but with a smaller gun; G27 vs. Khar PM9 or 340.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    When you mention shorts, do you mean regular shorts or underwear? It goes on top of the underwear.

Mine had a tendency to ride up in back after several hours, so now I bring the top edge of my underwear up and turn down an inch or so over the top of the smartcarry belt (back only--I leave the front of my underwear flat), attaching it to the velcro. I expose some of the velcro so the underwear will stick. This keeps the velcro belt from riding up in back. Tight underwear will be uncomfortable if you do this, but with loose underwear it's fine.

If your gun has a big grip or wide grip, it may produce a small bump on your strong side where the grip ends. To counter this, I ordered a double-holstered Smartcarry, and use the holster farthest from my strong hand. The gun still faces normally, but now the small bump is almost in line with the zipper. Sometimes it doesn't show, but if it does, it looks more normal.

Another option is the security Smartcarry. The security model has a full-length pouch behind the holsters. My holsters are medium size for an XD subcompact, etc., but I also have a full-size S&W. The S&W is almost too thin-barrelled and top-heavy for the medium holsters, but the security pouch holds it quite nicely. I can't draw as quick from the pouch, but when I use the security pouch, I have a primary in an IWB holster.

I use different holsters for different occasions. When concealment is preferred but not life-altering if I show, I prefer inner waistband. But with the Smartcarry, I can carry anywhere that doesn't have metal detectors. I can carry with tucked in shirt and nice pants, and it won't show. For me it is an option of last resort for highly critical areas, and it performs its function well. I will always have a Smartcarry for my most critical carrying occasions. During those times, there is no better option for me. While wearing it, I am able to climb, crawl, twist, carry things, etc., and it stays in place without showing. I am not able to be so active with any other holster method and still maintain secrecy.

One last recommendation: you might consider the white one over the dark one. If any of it shows in back when you bend over, a white one may be more readily mistaken for underwear than the dark one.

It may not be as fast of a draw unless you practice a lot, but if concealment for you is critical, I think you will appreciate this holster.
    you have a PM
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I like my SmartCarry, but it is not for every situation. I can't always make it work. For example, I have tried it in scrub pants (I'm a nurse), and found that every time I bent over, I felt as if I was going to rip out the crotch seam of my pants. I have successfully used it in dress pants and in jeans without being 'made'. But it takes a while to figure out the positioning to make it work for you (higher, lower, right shift, left shift, etc.).

There is a guy from Glock Talk that has made several You Tube videos of the Smart Carry. His name is 'passive101'. Try a search and see his results. Good luck.
    No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    ---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

I wear my smart carry whenever I need deep concealment. Namely in places where I really don't need people hassling me about having a gun. Like my liberal grandmother's house, or other places.

Senior Moderator
    I use a Smartcarry almost everyday and just don't have an issue with the velcro being uncomfortable. The back of it does tend to ride up but has never been a problem for me.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a holster when you must carry tucked.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I use a SC for my G19 or G26. This is a great way to carry.

You can go here and watch Passive101 video's: http://www.youtube.com/passive101

He has like 16 videos. I bought a SC after watching them.
    G19
    G26

Absolutely my best holster. Most concealable, versatile, and most bang-for-the-buck (no pun intended).

Comfort is improved by wearing an undershirt. If it's warm, choose the "Under Armour" variety, or similar. The holster goes over the under shirt, then the overshirt can be either tucked or untucked as you like.

Hadn't thought of getting a white-colored one; makes a lot of sense.

These don't look as slick as the zillions of fancy leather holsters out there, but they *work*.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have two, one for a J frame, the other for a keltec P3AT. I think the bigger you are (tall wise ) the bigger the gun you can carry in this method. I'm 5'7" and slender so I can't get a way with a larger weapon but it works very well with these two guns. I will say this, you do/can see a slight bulge where the butt of the gun is depending on how thick the material of your pants are and how tight or loose they fit. for looser, more casual pants like dockers this is a great carry option. For thin dress pants that might be tighter, that slight bump can be noticeable. The only time I ever got "made" with a gun was when sitting with a J frame in a smart carry. My wife felt my pants were too tight and not very modest , I didn't tell here I was carrying,...a gun.

I think if you have to tuck your shirt, ie. aren't able to wear a cover garment then you're stuck with either pocket carry or something like smart carry or an undercover shirt. They're reasonably comfortable and the only other negative is how if your belt can slide down to the top of the weapon and it's as if the top of the weapon catches the pants belt.

It's worth the cost by far, to try it and it's 100% better than any belly band system. It's SLOW to draw from no matter how much you practice and I think if you really were in a shoot I could see a person struggling more with this mode of carry to acquire and present the weapon. Still it's good for deep concealment. I'd rather get the right pants and to carry the P3AT in the pocket as it's way more accessible.

I'm skeptical that guys can carry full size 1911's in there and be as comfortable and as concealed as they claim. I think a lot of those testimonies are exaggerated ones guys put in when they first get it. At the end of the day, you DO have a gun down your pants so it's going to add to the package so to speak so if your expectations are realistic and you go with a smaller weapon you might be very very satisfied.

God Bless
    Gideon

I work in an environment where if I'm discovered carrying, I'll be fired on the spot. I went to work last night carrying my XD9sc in the Smartcarry, and my S&W Model 59 (4" 1911-style 9mm) in an IWB holster, wearing a tucked in t-shirt and a large pullover sweater. As soon as I arrived at work, I was directed to report to a certain area to get my flu shot and have my blood pressure checked. This posed a problem as my sweater sleeve wouldn't pull up enough to expose my shoulder and bicep. And if I tried to remove one arm and raise the sweater up over my shoulder, I couldn't guarantee I could keep the IWB gun on the other side concealed. Not wanting to return to my car and draw attention to myself, I went to the bathroom and stuffed the Model 59 AND the entire IWB holster in the security pouch of my Smartcarry. It did bulge, but I thought I would take the chance.

I went to the room, sat down, removed one arm from the sweater, and laid my other arm over the bulge in my pants (Docker's pants, which are roomy and bulge some naturally). The nurse straddled one of my legs and stood over me, laying my forearm on her hip as she took my blood pressure. When she finished, I went to another nurse and received my flu shot. The room had about 25 other people in there doing other stuff also.

Maybe it's a case of "people seeing but not seeing", or maybe no one thought to look, or didn't expect what I had, but no one even seemed to look at me other than eye-level or arm-level. Other than my blood pressure reading 30 points higher and me getting a short counseling session about hypertension and eating better , everything was fine. Went back later after I had calmed down and my BP had dropped 30 points back to normal--then I went to the restroom and reholstered.

I realize I could avoid something like this by carrying only one gun in deep cover or getting a smaller BUG (working on that), and I realize many of you only carry one. I have determined that if I need one, then I'm going to carry two. I don't want to pull a gun with my life on the line, hear it go "click", and then have no good options left. I am serious about carrying to protect my life and the lives of my family, and I'm not going to do it half-way. A friend's brother was robbed Saturday at gunpoint about 10 minutes from my house... 2 guys came up to him in a hospital parking lot and put a gun to his head. (Another no-gun area--the hospital, that is, not the parking lot--thanks to our legislature... but how can you legally and reasonably protect yourself walking from your car to the hospital against 2 guys who have at least 1 gun??? ) They didn't fire, but... He doesn't carry, but he may be rethinking that lack of strategy now. Regardless of what he decides, violent crime is increasing in our area and I intend to be ready at all times, if possible.

Note to self: hurry up and buy a smaller BUG. That Model 59 is too dang big for a critical-area BUG.

Back to the Smartcarry... Thanks, Charlie from Smartcarry. I owe you one... again.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got three of'em, and they work great for me. I've worn them all sizes of guns in all sorts of dress. I second the notion of an undershirt- makes it more comfortable.

I've never noticed a smartcarry making my nadular regions hotter than they might be otherwise. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just that I've never noticed it.

It's the only way to carry a BIG gun, and it's especially easy to carry a big gun with a large smartcarry while wearing overalls or side clip suspenders.

Smaller guns disappear if you wear pleated pants.

You need to experiment a while by shifting the gun's position, but it's a great method of CC, IME.

YMMV
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links