Kydex owb

Kydex owb

This is a discussion on Kydex owb within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know a few here wear the c-tac serpa or other kydex iwb. That just doesn't do it for me. Does anybody have any experience ...

Thread: Kydex owb

Kydex owb

I know a few here wear the c-tac serpa or other kydex iwb. That just doesn't do it for me. Does anybody have any experience with maybe the c-tac owb ar any other kydex owb, as far as concealability? I do like leather, and have a couple of good leather holsters, but I really like the kydex.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    steve,

I occasionally use a blackhawk serpa OWB holster... but don't recommend it. Unless I'm wearing a heavy cover garment, the weapon prints easily.

Have no experience with Comp-Tac's OWB holsters.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I like to use a blackhawk serpa occasionally. THe only garment it doesn't print badly with is my woolrich discreet button up shirts or a 5.11 tatical button up shirt. The woolrich I can button up, but the 5.11 I leave unbuttoned as it will print pretty decently being closed. If you wear a tac vest (I use a 5.11) it also disappears fairly well. The only reason I don't use the holster more is it tends to wear the finish on my parkerized 1911 fairly bad on the slide.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Kydex is thinner, leather is more luxurious. I think if you are really straining to shave off every possible millimeter of thickness to reduce printing that Kydex will be the winner every time. But - OWB carry is usually done for open carry or carry with a cover garment like a suit jacket, sweater, unbuttoned flannel shirt over a T-shirt ... When you open carry or have a cover garment like that you really don't need to shave off every possible millimeter of thickness as you would when you carry IWB "jeans n' t-shirt".

So, Kydex and leather are about equal for OWB IMHO ... kydex by it's nature is more compact, weather resistant, and utilitarian. It can take scratches and abuse with less worry. But - Leather is aesthetic, beautiful, natural, nostalgic, indulgent. Kydex is a faster draw, leather a softer feel. Take your pick because there is no wrong choice here.

And it doesn't have to be an either / or. My VERY very favorite OWB holster is from a kydex maker - kydex with a Gator overlay goes great with the brown suits that I often wear.

This is also a kydex with snake overlay ...

The point is, it can be animal skin AND kydex in the same way that a holster can be leather AND sharkskin ... btw, both holsters are from BearClaw Holsters down in MO.

These two holsters are not as concealable as my IWB holsters simply because OWB holsters are outside the belt. But, they stay close to the body so it works with what I wear.

I have a CompTac OWB paddle for my M&P.40.

It does print. Even when I wear a long flannel type shirt....it may cover but it definitley doesn't conceal.

Just thought I would mention that the Blackhawk CQC may or may not be suitable for your OWB carry situation, but it is not Kydex. It is carbon fiber or probably more correctly "carbon fiber reinforced polymer." I had a CompTac and much prefer the Blackhawk. I have made the decision to dress around the holster and love mine.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texian View Post
    Just thought I would mention that the Blackhawk CQC may or may not be suitable for your OWB carry situation, but it is not Kydex. It is carbon fiber or probably more correctly "carbon fiber reinforced polymer." I had a CompTac and much prefer the Blackhawk. I have made the decision to dress around the holster and love mine.
    Actually I believe the carbon fiber is a finish, not really the body of the holster. The Serpa seems to work well with heavier clothes alright.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I've really not discovered a Kydex or Carbon Fiber holster yet that will pull the butt of a firearm in quite as close my body as a high quality leather rig which is my only objection to Kydex or C.F. as a holster material.
    My objection is more about the design rather than the material itself.
    I like the way that leather alters/adapts itself to the user.
    I admit that I'm pretty much finished with buying Kydex type rigs and have not tried many of the newer ones that have hit the marketplace.
    The Blackhawk holsters are not bad.
    I personally would never buy anything by Unc Mikes or Fobus ever again since they don't work for me with regard to best concealment.

I'm just saying they don't work for me at all - if they work for somebody else then that's fine but, I personally like to carry concealed under just an oversize dark cotton T-Shirt (with no vest) and only very well designed custom leather will pull in close enough for me under a T- shirt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I just bought another Comp-Tac holster, this time one of the newer type paddles to replace one that didn't have the little Velcro circle areas. It does hold it closer than the older type, but I can't say it holds it closer than a similar rig in leather. I'm not sure material is one of the major factors in ease of concealment. I think that gun type, clothing type, and style of holster are a lot more important factors. I know this FBI tilt and higher ride conceal better than the straight draw I'd been using.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Try Blade-tech or for a more custom look and feel FIST.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I appreciate the responses and advise. I believe that with colder weather coming, I should be able to conceal a kydex, but with summer, I'll stick with my leather. Now, with the brands mentioned here, it's time to do some research. Thanks again folks.

I'm carrying my HK USP compact in a Fobus paddle holster, and it conceals very well under a shirt with the tail left out. It's very comfortable also.

Leather tends to conceal better than Kydex.
    OWB Kydex is probably the worst option for carry anyway so I'd avoid it.

I have been using a Blackhawk CQC SERPA for my P220ST. I have been using the paddle option with a FBI cant. It actually holds the gun tight to my body, and with most of my tee shirts it works just fine. I am 6'2 240 in good shape, so I guess that helps with the printing issue.

Sponsored Links