Snobby Much?

This is a discussion on Snobby Much? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you....being HONEST, find yourself being a holster snob? You know who you are. When you see a friend or fellow shooter, carrying ...

View Poll Results: Do you try to convert cheap holster users.

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, anytime I get the chance.

30 21.74%
  • I do...but as subtly as possible.

54 39.13%
  • No...I want to but i keep my mouth shut.

35 25.36%
  • No way. Let them suffer with their inferior gear.

24 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snobby Much?

Snobby Much?

How many of you....being HONEST, find yourself being a holster snob?
    You know who you are. When you see a friend or fellow shooter, carrying a "one size fits all" nylon holster, or a cheap made leather "some guy from the gunshow" holster, to carry their SIG GLOCK OR HK, (ie "HIGH END guns) Do you really want to introduce them to the world of fine holsters and try to convince them to spend a little money on something nicer???? I admit to being guilty of this myself. So, I guess I am the first to fall on the proverbial sword.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Yes and no, there's a difference between being snobby and honest.

If someone has a holster that's garbage, I'm going to tell them, I may not tell them to go out and buy the same thing that I have, but I will point out the short comings and provide ulterior suggestions.

The nylon holsters are the worst, I don't know how many times I've been hanging out at a gunshop and steered someone away from that nylon multi-gun IWB/paddle/clip on shoulder holster combo and got them into a nice Desantis or Galco.

Not everyone can afford the cost, or the wait time for custom leather, but it does baffle me that someone will spend $450->$1k on a gun, and wrap it in a $12 holster.

There are good off the rack choices and bad ones.

**Edited to add:

There's a difference between helping people that don't know exactly what they need in a holster, usually this is where I step in. If this person has been carrying for a while, and they like the rig they have, I may chime in, but it's not as likely.

Someone's choice of gear is their own affair. Snob? No. Waste of time. I chose mine for a few very specific reasons. It's highly unlikely my exact rationale fits the next person's. So, if asked then all I can do is explain my goals and why I picked what I did, along with providing some rating of the gear's effectiveness. Otherwise, if not asked, the person cannot be that unhappy with the current gear, no matter how much better others may perceive alternate gear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

First off, I used "snob" for a lack of a better word. Second, do you think it is possible that some people just do not know, by lack of experience they should be unhappy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    First off, I used "snob" for a lack of a better word. Second, do you think it is possible that some people just do not know, by lack of experience they should be unhappy.
    I went back and edited my post to reflect exactly that, some people don't know.

Even in states where some training is required to carry a gun, the classes don't offer much in the criteria for holster selection unless you have a really good instructor.

Before I had this site as a resource I bought a ton of holsters I wasn't happy with, and so will most people, even people that do know what they want and need will still have to try a holster out, but if someone doesn't have any experience with a good holster, how will they know what good is.

I should also add, that I don't just walk up to random people and tell them their holster is garbage, in the case of this discussion it either comes up in conversation,, they are just complaining about it too much, or are asking for advice on the subject. If it's someone new to shooting and I'm there while they are buying their first gun, I actually try to steer them in the right direction there at the shop, and usually they leave with a card from the shop with the URL for this site in their hands to help them see what's available.

Assistant Administrator
    I'd say for starters that I never adopt the "mine is better than yours'' ....... so not a snobbish approach. However, a strong awareness thru some experience (and a large box of holsters LOL) - that you generally can't beat quality.

I would tho happily tell someone that perhaps their carry comfort, security and ease of concealment, could be improved by choice of good leather and belt. Quite a few ''off the peg'' rigs are quite adequate but most people who have experienced the benefits of good custom leather would not usually go back!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    ... do you think it is possible that some people just do not know, by lack of experience they should be unhappy.
    Sure, perhaps.

I'm of the opinion that a holster has a couple of primary goals, being: holding the weapon securely; holding it in the proper position; being reasonably comfortable; being durable enough for the job. So long as it is, who knows better than the person that there are other more-suitable choices? The only case where I would say someone doesn't know what's best for themselves is if they're suffering needlessly through one of the above issues, when any of them can be cured by another choice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I just hate to see my friends be a stupid as I was! So I try to get them to believe me when I tell them a little extra now will save a LOT later!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Life is too short to carry in a cheap holster.

That said, I understand financial issues. For a quick fix or stepping stone they are fine, but I largely advocate for a quality holster that doesn't cost $10.

I try to point out things in a quality holster that they may like and show them how it makes a difference.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

I keep my mouth shut unless someone is searching for an opinion. What works for me in a holster may not work for anyone else. I usually only give my experiences.

i just tell them that they get what they pay for and if they buy a really nice gun they shouldn't shroud it in junk
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Not everyone can afford what some of us can afford.

It is the top levels of presumption and arrogance to openly or subtly criticize another man's weapon or gear. He already knows that he can't afford better/slicker equipment for personal protection. It's sad that in the 2A community that this happens ... but it does.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yes and no, there's a difference between being snobby and honest.

If someone has a holster that's garbage, I'm going to tell them, I may not tell them to go out and buy the same thing that I have, but I will point out the short comings and provide ulterior suggestions.

The nylon holsters are the worst, I don't know how many times I've been hanging out at a gunshop and steered someone away from that nylon multi-gun IWB/paddle/clip on shoulder holster combo and got them into a nice Desantis or Galco.

Not everyone can afford the cost, or the wait time for custom leather, but it does baffle me that someone will spend $450->$1k on a gun, and wrap it in a $12 holster.

There are good off the rack choices and bad ones.

**Edited to add:

There's a difference between helping people that don't know exactly what they need in a holster, usually this is where I step in. If this person has been carrying for a while, and they like the rig they have, I may chime in, but it's not as likely.

Would this be lke the many people who park their $40,000 car in the driveway because they are protecting $3,000 worth of 'crap' in the garage?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I take the safety issue approach. A cheap holster/belt/mag pouch is a lost gun waiting to happen. I have a position on my job that allows me to say yes or no to holsters. The duty gear is easy. We approve only certain ones, period. The off duty holsters that some of the guys come up with get a little interesting. When they come along with something that is unsafe like the el-cheapo nylon belt rigs etc...they are told. This really pertains to the off duty carry of issued weapons. When they arrive with garbage holsters for their privately owned weapons, it usually takes a trip to the range for a qualification shoot for them to see the light. With Don Hume, G&G, Desantis, reasonable quality can be had at an affordable price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links