If I Want to Carry 2 Handguns...

This is a discussion on If I Want to Carry 2 Handguns... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sometimes carry two guns when I am wearing a concealment vest, usually a Glock 23 and 30. I just got a new Coronado leather ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If I Want to Carry 2 Handguns...

I sometimes carry two guns when I am wearing a concealment vest, usually a Glock 23 and 30. I just got a new Coronado leather vest last night, and will probably carry two today as a test. I am only going to gunstores (3), so I probably will be safe!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

2. Remove Ads

I generally carry two. One strong side OWB or IWB and a backup in weak side front or rear or jacket pocket. Pocket carry give you the ability to have your hand on the gun without anyone knowing.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by minutemanjs View Post
    What is the most optimal positioning? I'm right handed. I'm lean build and 6'2''. 175lbs. My belts barely stay in place when I unholster my gun. If I want it to stay, my belt has to be really tight.

1)Right hip and Left hip?

2)Left arm-pit and right hip?

3)Right hip and lower back.

My TBI instructor said the following....

FBI stats say the following.....

conformational shootings usually are the following

1 less than 6ft
    2 over in less than 4 seconds
    3 3 rounds spent.

So 2 guns, might be a little over kill.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    It is true that most gunfights are fast and violent with very few rounds expended. However, that doesn't mean that you couldn't possibly be involved in a fight that is completely different. Or, that you are capable of drawing as normal when the fight begins.

I don't choose to carry more than one gun very often. However, I can understand why someone would. When I do carry more than one weapon I have one strong side and another in my weak pocket. I do not and will not carry on both hips because it is too rare of an event to invest in the gear that would be needed.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    I tend to agree that a 2nd gun might be a little more than necessary but then again, I do know several guys who do carry a 2nd. What the heck, go for it.

I have an Alessi Ankle Holster for my Glock 27 for just such an occasion!

I rarely use it but it's nice to know I can.

POGO2, I'd skip the mask, it draws too much attention and the blue suit!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

When I carry two, it's a full sized one in a leather shoulder holster, and a subcompact in the pocket. This works with the G17/G26 combo, and the G21/G30 combo. I'd also like to get a P3AT so I can have my G30/G26 in my right pocket and the P3AT in my left pocket.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Gain 20 pounds, HAHAHAHA.

My Dad began carying about 2 years ago. As a joke he came to church packing 5 guns. He was extremely uncomfortable and paranoid about keeping control of all of them, which is a good point. How many weapons do you want to keep track of, God forbid, if your in a hand to hand fight?

That's why I cary IWB at 1:00, it's inside my protected zone. Watch some street fights on You Tube. Very often the bad guy get's control of the mid-section and they go to the ground. It's very hard to defend around your waist in the rear... say anything past 3:00 to 9:00.

Get some like minded friends and practice on the mat or in the grass with a toy gun. Place the toy where you plan on keeping your BUG or BUGS. I swear on IWB towards the front.

Good luck, state6three8

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I tend to agree that a 2nd gun might be a little more than necessary but then again, I do know several guys who do carry a 2nd. What the heck, go for it.

I have an Alessi Ankle Holster for my Glock 27 for just such an occasion!

I rarely use it but it's nice to know I can.

POGO2, I'd skip the mask, it draws too much attention and the blue suit!

ok, we're all friends here but lets not make fun of the "Lone Ranger" . especially references to his mask , in how many episodes did the good guys respect his wearing the mask ? and who wanted to see his bare face ? the bad guys thats who !
    now answer this who ended up removing the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger?

no lol but no hard feelings

elance

My primary gun, Glock 23 is carryed IWB while my backup S&W 342PD is carried opposite side in a Safariland pocket holster.

Years ago I had a Glock malfunction on the street which is my main reason for carrying two guns.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I've got a vest from http://www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com/prod05.htm and it has a holster on both sides plus pockets for extra mags and flashlights. It's well made and comfortable. I don't bother with carrying 2 guns but the option is there. Mostly I think so it will fit right or left handed carry.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

MMJ,

Last year I posted a review with multiple pics of a product I use called the Bandera 'Beltster'. It is a custom product combing a gun belt and holster system into one single product. It works in my experience excellent exactly as marketed.
    A side benifit of this product is that it allows one to order it with a custom holster slot positioning excatly where he/she wants it and it also allows for a second holster slot to be built in as well.
    The second holster slot is intended for use such as when seated in a car (reverse appendix mount) as mine is but can be setup at the customers liking to have two conventional mountings left and right side.

Go to this link where I provided many pics demonstrating the product and it's usage;

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ter#post121402

The wicker basket featured in the posts pics I'd selected purposefully for wearing of the belt because it's very close in measurement to my own waist and stomach IRL.
    I have for purposes of display two 1911s shown one being a commander sized (black) and the other a 3" Defender (silver). Additionally for fun and to show how truly flexible this system is I added a third external paddle type OWB holster (Bladetech) sporting a fullsize/govt 1911. All three as shown can be IRL worn at one time, not that anyone would actually need to do so. But the point was and is that if you wanted to wear a second external holster in addition to the Belster one could do so with out concern of interference.
    Oh, and ignore the follow on commentary from those rock throwers amongst the peanut gallery.

The product works, works well, has for me lasted very well, is effective, and at times I have chosen to wear two guns with it such as when transporting to the range (practice with one and leave the second holstered). For EDC I don't do so as for me there is just no need and I don't carry a BUG but thats not to say it can't be done discretely in comfort should one desire via this product.

http://www.banderagunleather.com

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The product works, works well, has for me lasted very well, is effective, and at times I have chosen to wear two guns with it such as when transporting to the range (practice with one and leave the second holstered). For EDC I don't do so as for me there is just no need and I don't carry a BUG but thats not to say it can't be done discretely in comfort should one desire via this product.
    http://www.banderagunleather.com
    - Janq
    This reminds me a bit of my Galco bellyband. The bellyband will fit several different handguns and will accomodate 2 carry guns plus a spare mag and perhaps a cell phone. I don't find the bellyband comfortable though and would say the banderaleather product would probably be much better.

I ALWAYS carry two.

Like my dad always said..."you can always take it home without using it, but will have trouble getting it from home if you need it".

I carry G29 IWB at 3:00 and Kel Tec .380 in right front pocket. Rather than an additional "belt gun", consider extra mags?
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    state6three8 has a very good point about the "protected zone." It might be best to keep both weapons close to each other, like 0200 and 0300. I have done just that a few times, with SP101 snubbies, and even with the 0300 being an SP101 OWB, and the 0200 gun being a GP100 IWB. I have found the left hand can reach an weapon carried at 0200 IWB or OWB. That being said, I often carry 0300 and 0900, preparing myself for the day when I will almost certainly face surgeries on my right wrist, forearm, and shoulder, and will be compelled to draw with the left hand. It's not a problem being able to shoot as a lefty, as I am a lefty already, but ambi enough that I have carried my duty weapon on the right hip for over two decades. (Long story, but, for one thing, I feel it's an advantage to not have to drop a pen or other tool/utensil before drawing a pistol.) If I reach, by habit, for my right hip, I want something to be there, but am trying to condition myself to think of my left side weapon as "primary."

VIP Member
    Start with a real good belt and go from there....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links