Thumb Break for C&L?

Thumb Break for C&L?

This is a discussion on Thumb Break for C&L? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you who carry cocked and locked, how many use a thumb break strap? It would seem to me that it isn't really ...

Thread: Thumb Break for C&L?

Thumb Break for C&L?

For those of you who carry cocked and locked, how many use a thumb break strap? It would seem to me that it isn't really necessary other than for retention, but have heard opinions that it is the only 'safe' way to carry C&L.

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before. The only thing I could find similar wasn't really specific to carrying C&L.

Other than departmental regulations that mandate them, or serious concerns relating to weapon retention, it's mainly a placebo for those not comfortable with C&L carry.

Several things need to occur before the hammer will drop to fire the gun. First the thumb safety has to be disengaged and the grip safety depressed. Then the trigger needs to be moved to the rear to release the hammer from the sear. Without a little operator assistance, none of these things are going to simultaneously occur on their own while the gun is safely holstered. I have heard some people complain of their thumb safetys becoming accidentally moved to the off position while holstered, but those other things listed above still need to occur before the gun can fire and then there is always the half cock notch.

I have seen a few 1911's that have been modified by gun butchers and amateur gunsmiths that would sometimes allow the hammer to follow when the thumb safety was disengaged. That condition is mainly caused by too much material being removed from the thumb safety when it is fitted. This would allow the sear to move just enough to partially disengage from the hammer hooks (note: you would still need to first press the trigger while the thumbsafety is on safe to initiate the slight movement of the sear) so that when the thumb safety was moved to off, the hammer would drop. But even in those cases, the half cock notch would always catch the hammer on the way down. Only a fool would carry, or even shoot a gun in that unsafe condition and a having a thumbreak in that situation isn't going to make it safer.

My .02

TK

OD*
    I agree with TK, they are for those not comfortable with Cooked & Locked.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I agree with the points made above.

Also, whatever method you use to carry, practice with it in that mode.

If you're gonna use a thumb break holster, practice drawing and firing (or dry firing) with the retention strap snapped EVERY TIME.

In an extreme situation you don't want to be giving yourself a wedgie trying to drag your pistol out of the holster having left the snap secured.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

KISS - "Keep It Simple Stupid" A thumb break only adds more crap to go wrong. Good holsters have plenty of retention for CHL without a thumb break.

Open top holsters for me. I mainly carry 1911s, C&Led.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    One of my holsters for my 1911 has a thumbstrap on it, but I don't use that holster. It came with the pistol. If I were carrying a 1911 on duty I would have a tumbsnap holster for the retention.

I don't think it is really needed unless the holster desig calls for it. However, if it makes you more comfortable carrying C&L then by all means get a holster with a thumbsnap.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    I used to carry my BHP C&L - and there we have no grip safety. Even so, open top Horseshoe leather rig was just fine.

There are some concerns over whether retention is adequate without a thumb break but on balance, I'd rather have the assured freedom of draw than risk a high-stress fumble with a thumb break. Just me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95,
    If they can grip the gun, then a thumbstrap is not going to keep it there. Your only real retention is not allowing them to get to it to begin with.

A level 3 holster will likely save ya from a disarm, but they will likely kill you in panic mode also. That's just my opinion of course, but every Deputy I know feels the same way.

I carry a Safariland 6280 on duty and it helps to allow me to maintain possession by only needing to hold the container strap in place, but a thumb snap would break apart easily under the same conditions. The level 2 (6280) is not much protection either, but better than nothing, and it's for a gun in the open.

A gun on a CHL holder is not known, and should not be a factor. As far as "fall out" protection, a well fitted holster (open top) is plenty good.

DC Founder
    I don't really want straps on anything unless it's a holster that I am carrying hunting or maybe to the range. Even then my preference is open top. I can hang upside down and my 1911 would not fall from my Andrew's Hybrid....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Sponsored Links