Custom Carry rig

This is a discussion on Custom Carry rig within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to "treat" myself to a custom carry rig, (belt,holster,mag pouch). I carry a 3.5" 1911. I always carry OWB with a cover ...

Thread: Custom Carry rig

Custom Carry rig

I would like to "treat" myself to a custom carry rig, (belt,holster,mag pouch). I carry a 3.5" 1911. I always carry OWB with a cover garment. I am not really looking for a super fancy looking rig, but Would like something that looks nice.

If you had $150-200 to spend on a custom rig, what would you buy and why?

Pictures are appreciated.

Randy

2. Remove Ads

Stick the spare mag in your pocket. Buy a ten-dollar belt and a pair of shoe laces from Wal-Mart. Tie a loop in each end of a shoe lace. Thread the belt through one loop and slip the other loop over the muzzle of your pistol. Stuff the pistol in your pants, the shoe lace will keep it from sliding all the way down your leg. Spend the $189.50 you saved on beer. :1saufen:

Seriously, now, I think you'll do well with any of the quality leather craftsmen (and I do mean craftsmen) that you hear of on this forum. I have Milt Sparks, Bommeland, Rusty Sherrick, and Del Fatti products in my "inventory." They are all quality items that will last a long time. As far as OWB holsters, I have a Del Fatti LP-QS - http://www.delfatti.com/LP.html - that I really like. I also like the looks of the Tucker Gunleather HF-1:
    http://store1.yimg.com/I/rlcompanyusa_1854_107618. Sorry I'm not competent at posting pictures, but you can see some marginal quality photos of my Del Fatti leather in the Gallery section.

The nice thing about a quality rig is that it's really neat when you first get it, then after the novelty wears off, it's still good quality stuff that you will appreciate every time you put on. You may find that you exceed $200 for a holster/belt/mag pouch rig. If so, I'd get the holster and belt, and maybe find a less expensive mag pouch to hold you over, or better yet just save your pennies 'till you can afford the whole deal.

Good luck, and enjoy.

SSKC

Edited to add: In today's environment of plastic this, disposable that, etc., I find that leather gear qualifies as one of the "finer things" that we can still savor. I think of it as something my dad, a member of "The Greatest Generation," would appreciate.
    Last edited by SSKC; July 11th, 2005 at 05:32 PM.

I like desantis stuff my self could get a holster and dual mag carryer for round 100 bucks so lots of $$ left for ammo or get couple different holsters

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    There's lots of good stuff out there. Several of the top quality makers are members of this forum. Click here for a link to a lot of holster makers. krang, a member here, put together the list.

Kevin from K&D is a member here I believe using the screen name of Kman. He is great to deal with and will do you right. Eric Larsen of HBE leather is a member here and does great stuff as is Brommeland. Del Fatti is a member here as well I believe.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Oh yeah, while I am thinking of it, the Rapid Response and Summer Companion holster and belts sold via Wilson Combat are actually made by Rafter S Gunleather and are a good bit less money straight from Rafter S. I have the Summer Companion, which I got straight from Rafter S and it is a nice IWB rig.

My rig from K&D is a an OWB rig for a S&W 4006, and I am very pleased with it. It has the pull through snaps and really supports the weight of the pistol well.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

DC Founder
    I would buy a Hybrid Saddle Holster from Sam Andrews (Andrews Custom Leather) and save the rest for ammo....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'd buy a nicely improved (like new) Andy Artoonian 22H from Jim Linch for $80.00. :)

I concur

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I would buy a Hybrid Saddle Holster from Sam Andrews (Andrews Custom Leather) and save the rest for ammo....
    You also might want to look at his regular Saddle and the Palmer Practical as well. All of these holsters have an adjustible tention screw so as the holster gets broken in with use, you can always compensate by adjusting the tention.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/ Best custom maker I have found yet. Eric makes a superior product at an affordable price.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Look at Ray's Holsters

I recently got an OWB holster from Ray's and I'm well pleased with the quality and the fit for my Bersa .380. The holster is actually marked as being for a Colt Officers, but fits the Bersa fine. It was only $34.95 including shipping!

Check them out at http://www.shado.com/
    Attached Images

Wow, quite a list!!

Thanks for all the guidance. I have looked at most of the suggestions, and while all look, great, I have decided on HBELeatherworks to make my first rig. I have been in email contact with Eric, at we are getting the ball rolling.

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions. Looks like my holster collection is now starting.

Randy

Links