New holster care

New holster care

This is a discussion on New holster care within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Don Hume leather holster that has dried out to the point of being close to cracking. I need to know ...

Question New holster care

I just picked up a Don Hume leather holster that has dried out to the point of being close to cracking. I need to know the proper way to restore the leather.

I have read that it is a bad idea to use typical leather care products as they can soften the leather, making it lose it's shape.

Any ideas?

Why do you think it's that dry? Most everything out there will soften leather enough to take the molding effect out of the holster. I'd consult the maker to see what they reccommend.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Try Obenauf's. www.obenaufs.com I can not recommend this stuff highly enough. It was invented by a western woodland firefighter for his expensive leather boots. Try using the leather oil then after dry, use the Heavy Duty LP. After applying the LP use a hair dryer to melt the polymer and beeswax into the leather and stitching. Really great stuff. They have a small combo pack for 29.95. All my leather stuff gets a coat.

FYI I have a Don Hume PCCH that I have used it on many times with no ill effect.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Start slow by pasting it with neutral shoe polish, let it sit for a while, then buff it off real good. Repeat that a few times before turning to products that may soften it too much.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I agree with USMC. That is what Kramer recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by ltc-usa View Post
    I agree with USMC. That is what Kramer recommends.
    ...and Bulman and many others.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Thanks for the responses, I would hate to kill it with the wrong stuff. If I can find Obenauf's locally, I'll give it a try. The shoe polish sounds like a great idea.

Supertac45 - The manufacturer hasn't responded. I think it had sat in a dry, heated shop a bit too long.

jwhite75 - As a matter of fact, it is a PCCH and it fits well and is quite comfortable. How do you like yours?

It is the best money I have spent on a "value" priced holster. I lost my first one in a and could not reorder fast enough. I have safariland, bladetech, galco,and horseshoe leather holsters, and this is my primary EDC holster. Unfortunately, I can not afford high dollar holsters on my public servant salary.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

By the way, my don hume came very stiff from the factory like that too. I will loosen up with time. It does feel like it is dry but it will loosen up especially if you try the obenauf's Order it from the web. If you don't like that idea, PM me and I have a friend I think who has some in stock. He could possibly sell you some and ship it.

I put a little Red Wing boot oil on the straps, which was my main concern. Helped a lot.

An update - A Don Hume rep responded to my e-mail about the dry holster and they had one response: Send it back to them.

I appreciate their concern over my satisfaction, even though the issue probably had nothing to do with them.

Now that I got the straps pliable, I will keep the holster, I like it too much.

Nothing wrong with Hume's my friend. My 229 rides in one when strapped on. Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Repair it just as you would a good pair of leather shoes that have scuffed and dried a bit...leather is a great material to clean up and re-work!
    Good Luck! Nothing beats a quality holster that's boned to the firearm! (I am surprised that the leather cracked in the first place...you work armed, regularly, in the rain?)

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links