Defensive Carry banner

Brommeland holsters

6K views 44 replies 31 participants last post by  SpringerXD 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any news about Gary's holsters? Ihope to have a new addition to the 1911 family and the best home for it will be a Max Con V holster.

#5 ·
When I asked him about a holster recently, he said he won't be taking orders "ever again." Everything will be sold through Coal Creek Armory. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

#6 ·
Hmmm, that's interesting, but it may not be bad news, if Coal Creek Armory keeps a stock of Brommeland holsters then the waiting time will be minimal. It all depends on how it's managed I suppose.

#8 ·
Talked with Remy via e-mail a few weeks back and they were still cranking out holsters to catch up with orders. I think that after Gary gets his head above water with his back log he will be able to keep a pretty good supply of leather over at Coal Creek.

For any that are in question, Gary makes a great product. I could not be happier with mine and it was well worth the wait.

#10 ·
I ordered my Max-Con V from Coal Creek Armory on the saturday of labor day weekend. It arrived 5 days later!

Pretty good for ordering on a holiday weekend as far as I'm concerned!

If anything, distributing through Coal Creek exclusively does nothing except speed up your deliveries. You're still getting Gary's custom made holsters, but without the 6 month - 1 year wait.

#11 ·
I called Coal Creek about a holster back in September. They guy I spoke with was very rude and seemed to not want to help. They did not have the holster and they had no idea when or if they would ever get one. I would really like to get one of Gary's holsters but I won't buy anything from Coal Creek.

#12 ·
Not to sound harsh, but you seem like an extremely sensitive person. A rude person on the phone and it's no Brommeland holster for you, eh? Since Coal Creek is now the exclusive and only supplier of Gary's holsters, I would give them a second chance if you really want a great holster.

I guess, It was the quality of the holster I really wanted instead of being sweet talked when I ordered mine.

When I ordered mine, I was actually wanting a Brommeland Def-Con OWB holster because I was worried about the very short 3 inch barrel of the XDsc would be top heavy and keep rolling over the top of my belt causing it to stick out wearing an IWB holster.

They were out of stock of the Def-Con for my XD model but expecting more in a "couple of weeks." They did have a Max-Con V IWB for the XDsc in stock and were very helpful to me. He confirmed that the holster has the extended "wing" at the bottom of the holster which gives support from your thigh, preventing the gun from trying to roll over the top of my belt, so I gave it a shot and ordered the Max-Con IWB.

The holster arrived 5 days from date of order, which was phoned in over a holiday weekend.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase, but I knew I was getting a Brommeland and that's all that mattered. The person I talked to was very helpful, but if he had been rude, I don't think I would have let that deter me from getting one of the best holsters on the market.

Everyone has a bad day every now and again, or something on their mind thats troubling them. It's human nature! Yeah it might not be the best presentation for customer service, but you weren't there to know what was going on.

If you really want a Brommeland, I would consider giving them another try and see what happens.

Why deprive yourself of the best holster out there because someone was rude to you or because they were out of stock for a week or two?

JMHO, no offense intended! :urla9ub:

#14 ·
Hey fairway, That'll work, bro!

btw... what gun are you needing the holster for?

#19 ·
The site is not operational. However, no one makes a better holster than Gary. Hopefully Coal Creek can take some of the pressure off him so he can devote his time to making those superb holsters.

If I had to pick my most favorite holster it would be his Def-Con for my Kahr P9. I like everything about the holster including the craftmanship which is unsurpassed.

Best,
Jerry

#20 ·
JerryM, you said you have the Maxcon for you P9? I have one on order and I'm hoping I'll like it. When I ordered it I asked Gary for more cant to help tuck in the grip but I'm thinking I'll end up with the standard cant. Still, you said you really like yours; where to you wear it and was the can't sufficient enough for you? Would love to see a pic of your setup if you could.
God Bless
Gideon

#21 ·
Hi Gideon,

Mine is the Def-Con an OWB holster.
I wear all my holsters at about 3:30 just behind the centerline of my body. That is where the grip lies flat against my body, and there is less of the grip sticking out to print. I find that a 1911 compact lies flat there. I don't care for the full size 1911 as the grip tends to print.

If I recall correctly I asked for about a 25 degree cant. I am not sure what it is exactly. I would prefer at least a 20 degree cant as opposed to the "normal" 15 degree.

Hope this helps a bit.
Jerry

#23 ·
Just ordered a Maxcon V, left hand for 1911 from Coal Creek today. Will be in the mail on Monday. 5 minutes, very easy dealing with them (for me). Merry Christmas to me....Now, Mr UBG vs. the Maxcon...Oh, what a dilemma...not. What a great world, so many great makers out there to choose from. I do love my UBG. Nate makes a very high end product.

#28 ·
Funny how that is. Coal Creek has just become more important than the customer. All orders should be filled and Coal Creek shouldn't get a single holster until that happens because people that haven't waited a second on an order can now just make a call and get one while others that have been waiting for a very long time for holsters get taken advantage of.

#30 · (Edited)
I have been waiting also since July/Aug 06. I understand Gary has had a number of problems, some in his control and some not. It is getting harder and harder to be patient and understanding of his situation. One does have to start questioning the order in which he is filling orders. On 7/13/07 he said he would be caught in in about 90 days. Yes, he had health problems and yes, his health is the most important thing of all, but we now sit here at 11/25/07. How far behind was he? His leatherwork is second to none. However if the product can't be delivered it really doesn't matter how good it is.

#33 ·
I suggest ordering a CompTac CTAC until Gary can get caught up. He WILL make the situation right for all the backorders, I have talked at length with the man and his wife as well, and they are a class act. I also suggest that if you have some kind of snide remark about his character you ask him for a refund and look elswhere for leather. Nobody deserves a lynching in the court of public opinion, especially a guy who has contributed so much to this forum and to the gun community at large.

#35 ·
Mr. Monkey,
I have never questioned anyone being a "class act". Furthermore, I appreciate Gary posting a response and the fellow "Bud" (has terminated other posts) to allow this discussion to continue as Gary hasn't sent me an email on progress, left a message...other than this site. As before, I trust the people on this site to give good advise and thus I ordered not one but two holsters, a belt and mag holder sight unseen. I will continue to wait until the holsters arrive and trust they are the best. Gary's health is more important than any holster, job or business. My issue was it didn't sound right that Coal Creek is sending out holster when I too have been waiting 18 months. Gary's post has calmed my spirit and I continue to look forward to receiving the best holsters made.

#38 ·
I'm not singling you out in this case but there are folks on this forum who feel the need to publicly vent their frustration towards some of the leather craftsmen here and I don't care how long they have had to wait, it doesn't warrant a witch hunt. I don't know Gary more than anybody else here, I just called him once or twice a while back and the man gave me some of his time to explain his positions on CCW and recommendations, etc. I'm SURE he is taking the backorder issue to heart and is working as fast as his quality standards allow.

Either way, I felt compelled to chime in and say the wait will be worth it. The fact that he is not taking any more new orders due to the tremendous demand on him is a testament to the quality, fit, and finish of his work.

Now go get a CTAC like I said to tide you over.:hand9:

#36 ·
I second Whamonkey’s comments.

I have also had an opportunity to speak with Gary at length, and he is a person of character and integrity. He has fallen on some difficult times, but it is exactly times like these that we should show him consideration and support.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to tap into Gary’s expertise, and I hope to continue to look to him as a resource and a friend.

Hang in there, Gary.

--Dan

#39 ·
Hello. My name is Anthony Steven Taylor. I am the GM at Coal Creek Armory, Inc. Thanks, in advance, to the administrators of this community, for your hospitality. I have, this evening, stopped putting off registering here, because I heard today, from Mr. Brommeland, of a customer service related complaint that I feel needs to be addressed. Having registered, and upon having now read over this thread (and a couple of other threads), I now see that the topic is a bit more interesting than I had anticipated. There have been made here a couple of points to which I feel I should respond.

To the gentleman who complained that his phoned-in attempt at ordering a holster was handled rudely, I can only apologize on behalf of my company. While I, knowing my people, have a hard time believing that one of them handled a business call rudely, I can see how, as busy as our store can get, one of them might have been talking to you on the phone, while simultaneously ringing up another customer, and checking to ensure that a returned rental SMG's chamber is empty. We, as a company, take pride in having a knowledgeable and professional staff, and always strive to help every customer get what he/she needs, as courteously, and as expediently as possible, but sometimes, unfortunately, security and expedience have to take priority. It's hard to believe until you see it, but, at any hour, our store can become as busy as a burger stand at lunch hour. Our customers are our family, and the local customers who get to see this dynamic understand that, when we are rushed, we sometimes aren't as sweet as when we are at our best. Nonetheless, you can be sure that I will take this issue up at my next employee meeting, citing this very forum. In the meanwhile, please do call us up, and ask to speak to me. I will see to your order myself, if we have the merchandise you desire.

To the gentleman with whom I spoke recently on the phone, I thank you for your fine compliment on the manner in which I took your order. My mother would be proud to hear that you found me courteous. You were a fine gentleman, yourself, and it was a pleasure to help you. I'm sorry I couldn't fill your order for a Def Con, but, if you will read the rest of what will likely become a verbose post, you will understand why my supply of Def Con's is a little sparse, and that it will soon improve.

To the folks who find it offensive that I have a stock of Brommeland holsters, while you continue to wait for what you've ordered direct - When I arranged, about two years ago, to retail Mr. Brommeland's fine gunleather goods, I expressed interest primarily in the Max Con V, as I then considered the most distinguishing model in his line, and I'm mainly interested in offering goods and services that stand apart. I've been bearing through logistic problems with Gary, so that he can get his considerable backlog caught up, because I'm a big picture/long haul kind of guy. I told him long ago that I would prefer that he primarily work on his backlog until it is caught up, while getting me whatever supply of holsters that he can. Because of this, I don't always get everything I want, in the amounts that I want, but I still get a decent supply of Max Con V's, centered mainly on what I consider to be the mainstream models - 1911's, Glocks, Springfield XD's, Browning HP's, and Kahr. Up to this point, I haven't sought to make a lot of noise online that we have this stuff in stock, because, believe it or not, the Knoxville, TN area seems to have enough discerning holster connoisseurs to consistently thin my supply. When Mr. Brommeland gets his backorder caught up, my stock of all things Brommeland will swell, and I will promote the retail of it more aggressively. Until then, I will be content that I have enough on hand, most of the time, to satisfy my local customers, and the few who hear about us on the internet.

To the folks who've noticed our site is down - I'm sorry to say that our host experienced a massive hardware failure that entailed the complete loss of our database, which included an inventory of a couple thousand items, and that the most recent backup they'd generated was found to be corrupted. Lesson learned - We've engaged a new host, are busy rebuilding the website, and are using the opportunity to improve the site. We'll now be handling our own periodic backups of our database. Meanwhile, if there is anything we can do for you, please call us, and we'll help you will all courtesy and diligence.

To Mr. Brommeland - Thank you for being a good partner to Coal Creek Armory. Now, please get your old ass in gear (he's pretty old, folks), and knock out this backlog, so we can get to the business for which I approached you a couple of years back - The CCA hand built 1911's are rolling out soon (finally), and I want to be able to offer each customer his/her choice of a Def Con or Max Con V, so that they can put the finest 1911's in the business into the finest holsters in the business.

#44 ·
To the gentleman who complained that his phoned-in attempt at ordering a holster was handled rudely, I can only apologize on behalf of my company. While I, knowing my people, have a hard time believing that one of them handled a business call rudely, I can see how, as busy as our store can get, one of them might have been talking to you on the phone, while simultaneously ringing up another customer, and checking to ensure that a returned rental SMG's chamber is empty. We, as a company, take pride in having a knowledgeable and professional staff, and always strive to help every customer get what he/she needs, as courteously, and as expediently as possible, but sometimes, unfortunately, security and expedience have to take priority. It's hard to believe until you see it, but, at any hour, our store can become as busy as a burger stand at lunch hour. Our customers are our family, and the local customers who get to see this dynamic understand that, when we are rushed, we sometimes aren't as sweet as when we are at our best. Nonetheless, you can be sure that I will take this issue up at my next employee meeting, citing this very forum. In the meanwhile, please do call us up, and ask to speak to me. I will see to your order myself, if we have the merchandise you desire.
Just wanted to chime in and let you know that your staff has always been very kind and professional with me when I've called the CCA. Welcome aboard!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.