Storage in leather holster?

This is a discussion on Storage in leather holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So is it OK to leave a gun in a leather (horse) holster 24/7? I've been hearing differing opinions. I don't overlube my weapons, but ...

Thread: Storage in leather holster?

So is it OK to leave a gun in a leather (horse) holster 24/7? I've been hearing differing opinions. I don't overlube my weapons, but I don't let them get bone-dry, either...

VIP Member
    Probably not a big deal for short periods of time but generally I don't do it nor would I advise anyone to. Thats just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Stainless steel, Hard Chrome, Electroless Nickel & DuraCoated firearms should be just fine stored in a holster in a dry place.
    For sure not blued guns.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Why not blued guns? Or any other kind, for that matter? I've done no research on this, so feel free to either explain as much as you'd like, point me toward a reliable resource, or ignore the question altogether...

Thanks!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Administrator
    Well, delving into my personal accumulated knowledge base of stored information that will never make me wealthy.

Blued guns tend to rust in contact with materials that can hold moisture.
    Leather is Hydroscopic in that it can pull and hold moisture that it absorbs out of the air and so it can hold that moisture next to the exterior surfaces of the firearm.
    Traditional Gun Hot Blue is not a top coat finish.
    The blue is a chemically reacted coloration of the carbon steel. The "blue" is in the surface of the steel rather than being on it. It is also sensitive to acid so if the leather is not PH neutral or the leather is trace acidic due to the tanning process that can rust or pit the blue.

Also to clarify...Chrome is a microcracked finish and so plain Chrome (by itself) applied directly on steel can show rust spotting if it is in constant contact with hydroscopic materials such as leather.
    MOST Hard Chrome these days though is "flashed" Chrome plated over a base coat of ElectroLess Nickel and that is basically impervious to moisture.

Also holsters that are suede lined can rust blued steel due to the fact that most suede leathers are Chrome tanned and the Chromium salts react with steel and the steel is not protected or blocked by blue.
    In other words gun blue is not a barrier coat which is why some folks with acidic fingerprints can burn their prints right into a hot blued gun. Their fingerprints will rust right into the steel.

Oh, OK...I was worried more about the holster...

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't store in a leather holster because it will absorb the oils out of the gun. This could cause a lack of lubrication when you do need the gun. just my 0.02.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

QKShooter-

Thanks for the education. That all makes sense. I'm curious now though - for those that carry 16/7, than leave their gun next to the bed, how do they get around "storing" their gun in their holster? I suppose you can take the gun out at night, but you still end up with the gun "stored" in the leather holster at least 2/3 of the time.

I guess in that situation you simply have to accept the consequences of carrying a blued gun in a leather holster, right? Obviously, having the tool available should you need it will outweigh whatever surface disfigurement the gun will undergo in this situation...

Is there any way to slow down or eliminate this kind of wear & tear on the gun, such as cleaning or wiping it down with something specific? I ask because, until I get the funds to replace it, I will be carrying a SA 1911 Mil-Spec (blued) in a yet-to-be-purchased IWB leather holster. Any tips? Thanks!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I'm curious now though - for those that carry 16/7, than leave their gun next to the bed, how do they get around "storing" their gun in their holster?
    If you have a kydex holster in your box o' holsters, that will hold the gun safely overnight. Also, those super-cheap nylon Uncle Mike's IWB (which should never actually be used to CCW a gun) can serve as a simple, safe place to stash the gun overnight.

I collect WW2 weapons, and have seen many pistols destroyed be being stored in a leather holster. Leather is tanned with Tanic acid, and will attack the finish on a pistol.

Bianchi says this....
    If you leave your handgun in the holster or other product, check it daily for moisture, condensation or corrosion. Changing atmospheric conditions, heavy perspiration and other factors could create such conditions.

Pocket Concealment Systems
    4. Remove your firearm from the holster after use. This gives your holster an opportunity to "breath" and permits moisture that may have accumulated during all-day wear to evaporate, allowing your holster to retain its hard-shell structural integrity and avoiding damage to your firearm's finish.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Mine don't stay in the holsters long enough to hurt anything. They get shot, cleaned, lubed, carried, and repeated as much as possible.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

While I don't leave my daily carry gun in leather all the time, just as a note of interest, my father's S&W model 19 has been sitting in an old Hunter leather holster for the last 25 years. I shot it last spring to cover revolvers on my CCW permit, and the blueing is unblemished. Of course, we do live in the Southwest. It's a dry heat.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Some of my pistols may be in a holster for a longer period time...never had a problem. When they go into the safe, the holster is on one shelf and the pistol(s) go into a rack (still loaded)...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a few different guns depending on my mood, the situation, and clothing options. If I carry the same gun for several consecutive days, I leave it in the leather pretty much the whole time. When I switch to a different gun, I'll take the previous one out of the holster, oil it, wipe it down, and put it away. If I notice I've been sweating quite a bit on a certain day I'll take the gun out that night to let the leather breath. I've never had any problems with my blued guns doing it this way, but it may be different for you depending on the climate in your area and/or how much you sweat, also the particular chemistry of your sweat and body oils.

Administrator
    I guess a lot depends on the leather and the long term storage conditions.

I keep a coat of buffed paste wax on the exterior of my blued guns. That sure solves any potential rust or pitting problems for me.

Remember too that Black Oxide finish or Black Parkerizing is not the same as Hot Blue.

And what is the difference between storing a gun in a leather holster and carrying in the rig most of the day and then keeping the firearm holstered at night. Beats me. ??? Good question. Maybe since the environment is constantly changing the rig is not absorbing moisture all the time.
    Like I said above I keep my blued short and long guns lightly waxed.

Sponsored Links