Need Some Holster Selection Advice

This is a discussion on Need Some Holster Selection Advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys- I finally narrowed my CCW search down to a Kahr CW40 or a Commander size 1911. I now need some advice on holster's ...

Thread: Need Some Holster Selection Advice

Need Some Holster Selection Advice

Hey Guys-

I finally narrowed my CCW search down to a Kahr CW40 or a Commander size 1911.

I now need some advice on holster's I would like to carry it IWB and being that both guns are very thin that shouldnt be a problem I wouldnt think, I know both are pretty popular, only problem is I just got my CCP and I need a holster fairly soon, not 28 weeks from now, so I need some kind of holster that someone has in stock.....

I like the holster that place the clip off to both sides of the gun, makes it thinner and I would think more stable, I dont know about clips vs. snaps but I think the adjustablility of clips would give them the edge.

What do you guys carry, Pictures?, Price, opinions......

Thanks Guys
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

I carry a SkyOps by Galco and love the holster. It usually goes for the mid to high $70's. I like that it offers the tuckable option, and it does well for my Glock.

Comptac's CTAC is what I would reccomend. The clips are adjustable to appeal to whatever angle you would like. While I do like the convenience of snaps, most do not stay snapped if violently jarred. Here is my CTAC with my J frame. Conceals well even under just a plain t-shirt. Comptac usually delivers within a week.

Oh as I was looking through my other pics, I noticed Nate's Striker 1 (UBG leather) would fit your bill as well. here is my 3913 with an IWB rig where you can flip the clips to carry OWB or IWB. Looks like Nate has a 3-5 week wait but his leather is getting alot of attention and now would be a good time to grab one.

Also what size and brand belt do you guys recommend? I know I need one from a holster maker but am unsure on the options I should get, I dont see any reason to spend $1000 on a carry 1911 and then cheap out on the holster and belt to limit myself.

I have a 1 3/4" belt - its bigger than your average belt, but works well for me. 1 1/2" is pretty much your standard size belt. 1 1/4" is like a dress belt or a skinny jeans belt. Be sure to get your holster with loops that match your belt size. Being 1/4" off would be ok probably but the holster will be able to move around more. Also be sure to get the right size...my pants say the waist is 32" or 34", and the belt I wear is a 36" - I could have ordered a 38" and it would have been fine though.

Austin

Can't go wrong with Comp-Tac, fully adjustable, clip or the holster design that most people perfer and you'll have it in a few days. I wore a ctac while i waited for my Milt Sparks.

P220/CTAC:

P220/Sparks
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I spent $50 for a DeSantis holster for my XD .40 Service at the shop where I bought it. I am using that now until my Dakota Defender from Kevin comes in (should be end of January beginning of February).

For kydex or a hybrid of leather and kydex ( the M Tac model ) go check out Comp Tac. You'll have your holster in less than 1 week. If you prefer all leather, check out UBG, he has never failed to deliver my holsters on time and usually that only requires a few weeks. Give him a call to get a more accurate idea of what his current work load is. Clips my give you a bit more adjustment for cant and up/down in height. Some makers also have snap loops that can be adjusted for cant angle.

There are many makers listed on the MEGA link at the top of this forum.

Comp-Tac Minotaur. Mine was delivered in 5 days, and it is an excellent holster.

Links