OWB with T-Shirt

This is a discussion on OWB with T-Shirt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into getting holster for my P229 and I want an OWB this time. I'm just curious, does anyone here carry OWB with just ...

Thread: OWB with T-Shirt

OWB with T-Shirt

I'm looking into getting holster for my P229 and I want an OWB this time. I'm just curious, does anyone here carry OWB with just a t-shirt or golf shirt? I live in FL and this is my usual way of dressing, I might occasionally wear a hoodie or light jacket during the mild Orlando winter.

I just have this weird mindset that OWB is only acceptable with a coat or jacket over it.

2. Remove Ads

As I wrote in a previous thread, I carried my SA XD .40 OWB all summer in the galco m7x matrix holster under an untucked t-shirt, very comfortable and unnoticeable.

Here is a link for the holster check it out:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp...2844&GunID=153

Generally doesn't work for me, my body type. I'm 5'8" 190lbs, med size gut. I reckon those with skinny waists, broad shoulders can. The only time I did get away with it was with an oversized (bigger than I like to wear) dark T-shirt from Old Navy over my G19/Alessi CQC/S. I always feel more comfortable carrying IWB or pocket when I'm wearing just a shirt. You'll have to try in out for yourself. I think a lot depends on one's body type, and the particular gun and rig.

I am 5'10" and 210 and carry OWB most of the time with a T-shirt or other shirt untucked. Polo/golf shirts, Hawaian shirts and some of Caribbean style shirts also work very well. The shirt should be colored or print, In the winter, sweaters, sweatshirts and untucked flannel shirts also work well. Vests also work well if you don't feel odd wearing one. The cover garment does need to be at least one size too large. I use Hume JTI belt slides. They are very comfortable, hold the gun well, can be used crossdraw or on the strong side and are pretty inexpensive for a good holster.

As Texas Yankee says wearing a shirt a size larger than normal helps. Also dark colors and patterns are better than light colored or solid colored shirts. The reason Hawaiian and Caribbean shirts work so well is because they are meant to be worn outside the pants, are usually a bit large and the pattern helps disguise any imprint the gun makes.

VIP Member
    If the shirt is loose enough and long enough it'll work fine with a Kramer Belt Scabbard. I've done it several times with that holster and a P-220R using a large t-shirt or a shirt jacket.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Even tho i'm in pretty good shape, i've always sweat more than the average bear. I know in the florida humidity everyone sweats, just make sure that the gun isn't rubbing up and soakin in all those salty electrolites.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Administrator
    Yes, it can be done. Darker colored oversize cotton T-Shirts.
    Preferably double weight cotton which is still cool but less transparant and they have more body. You also need a GOOD gun belt!
    Good quality leather rig with a "cant angle" slightly greater than a FBI cant and styled so that it pulls the gun butt in very close the body is important.
    No bulky slam pad on the magazine that is carried in your firearm.
    I do a full size SIG P220 under just a "T" all the time.
    I carry right behind the strong side hip. It sure works for me.
    You really need to shop for quality gear though or forget it.
    BTW ~ I've not found any Kydex holster (by any maker) that will pull the firearm in close enough for me to carry under just a T-Shirt..
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    "T-shirt" covers a lot of ground. Some are clingy, or of such thin/light material, that they are useless for concealment. Haynes Beefy-T is a good one. One size larger than normal helps. It helps a lot to wear a tank top or sleeveless T under the larger T. One's body build makes a difference, and for those of slight build, that is a good motivational reason to pump iron to develop wider shoulders and lats for hip carry, and bigger pecs for appendix-area carry.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    My EDC is a M&P9 carried in a OWB UBG Bonnieville. I also carry a spare mag OWB.

This setup works great for me and hides well under an untucked polo shirt.

I am a bigger guy...6'3 300lbs.

Hope it helps
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Well, I'm 5' 8" tall, 175 lbs and I carry a GP100 OWB with a shirt. Usually I wear a vest, sport jacket or outer covering...but yes, it can be done. I would not bend over or do much hard labor with it, however, if you do not want any kind of printing.

dawgfvr

Very nice set up and concealed very well!! Who made the holster for your GP100 with the awesome badger grips?

A excellent holster and belt, and yes, you can do it
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Trebla: the holster is just a FIST Basic #9 which I find very comfortable. The Badger grips were customized for my small hands by Marc from Gemini Customs.

Links