OWB Holsters

This is a discussion on OWB Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for suggestions for good OWB holsters. I am pretty sure I have ruled out IWB for many reasons. I do have J frames and ...

Thread: OWB Holsters

OWB Holsters

Looking for suggestions for good OWB holsters. I am pretty sure I have ruled out IWB for many reasons. I do have J frames and some pocket holsters. But who makes some leather OWB holsters that really tuck the gun nice against the body, pulling the butt in ? Also are any of these the snap on type ? Do the snap on type work as well as loops ? Something that is high enough yet stable to cover with a shirt for a 3 " K frames or something like an M&P 9 MM compact ?

Suggestions, pictures, where are you wearing them etc... While I can look at a ton of sites and look at holsters, I wonder what anybody has that actually works well.

FYI, I'm 6FT 230 lbs. My build is kind of straight. IWB, is a pain, as there are so many times I can and cannot carry, that having pants that are either to big or small at the time is just a pain. Based on everything I have read here, over sized pants are a must. I have a few pair that have some room, and IWB is a little tight.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

I've ordered several holsters from Fist. I dont think you'll find anyone that has anything bad to say about Fist. I have OWB and IWB and they all hold very close to the body and are of excellent quality. Some have taken 7 weeks, the last one took 5 weeks. I'd highly recommend them.. Good luck on your ventures.

Quote Originally Posted by robere

I've ordered several holsters from Fist. I dont think you'll find anyone that has anything bad to say about Fist. I have OWB and IWB and they all hold very close to the body and are of excellent quality. Some have taken 7 weeks, the last one took 5 weeks. I'd highly recommend them.. Good luck on your ventures.
    +1 on the Fist holsters...I have many of them and have never had a problem...reasonable...quick...well-made!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't say enough about K&D's eagle defender. it rides high and tight and conceals my Hk usp compact very well. I tried a few others and they did not work very well. The quality on these holsters is great Check them out.
    http://www.kdholsters.com/
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

VIP Member
    Kramer Belt Scabbard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a K&D Eagle Defender (OWB, belt slide) and ayt 6'0" 275 lbs, it does tuck nice and tight. You can get the OWB with snaps from K&D as the Laredo defender.

In the cooler weather, I am not having any problems concealing a Glock 19/23 with a tanktop and short-sleeve shirt.

Do the snaps work as well as the loops? I don't know. I am happy with the belt slide. I did not choose the snaps because they are a convenience for when people take the holster off multiple times during the day. I did not need that conveniece (and if I did, I would get a paddle holster for that).

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I really like the Milt Sparks PMK, which I have in sizes to fit SP101 snubbies and a 4" Ruger Speed Six. Before I had the PMKs, I used the Concealable by Galco, and I still use them with certain pants. With autos, for comfort I prefer zero tilt, even though concealment is not quite as good. I used a Galco Avenger to conceal Browning High Powers and 1911 pistols.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I don't care for IWB either.

I carry in a UBG Bonneville and love it. It pulls my weapon in nice and tight.

The holster is only one half of the equation. The other half is the belt. To get the tight draw you really need a quality gun belt. Makes all the difference in the world.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    My personal opinion is that OWB should be your first choice for comfort if your mode of dress allows it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have both the Laredo Defender (with snaps) and the Eagle Defender (with loops) from K&D holsters. Both are great holsters. I carry a full size Glock and a Springfield XD45 compact with these and both do a great job of holding the pistol tight to the body. If you are going to have to remove the holster often, take a close look at the Laredo Defender.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Kramer Holster

Quote Originally Posted by Waynefi View Post
    I do have J frames and some pocket holsters. But who makes some leather OWB holsters that really tuck the gun nice against the body, pulling the butt in? Also are any of these the snap on type? Do the snap on type work as well as loops? Something that is high enough yet stable to cover with a shirt for a 3 " K frames or something like an M&P 9 MM compact?
    I have tried a variety of OWB holsters for both semiautos and revolvers, and the best all around brand and style I have found are Kramer belt scabbards in either cowhide or horsehide. These have two belt loops, one on either side of the gun, and are made of thick, stiff leather that holds up over time. They are simple in appearance without any extra parts, but they really work well. I have about 4 of these at this point, and have been very satisfied with them.

Here is a link to the Kramer website and a couple of photos:

Kramer Holster website

I carry OWB with Hume JITs. Works very well and the holster are fairly inexpensive to boot.

Links