VM-2, Horse or Cow?

This is a discussion on VM-2, Horse or Cow? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Go with the horse, it looks amazing....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VM-2, Horse or Cow?

Go with the horse, it looks amazing.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

2. Remove Ads

Horse, with no name.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

If trying to decide between Horse and Cow hide, you might want to go to Gary Brommelands page HERE and read why he chooses to use Cow Hide over Horse Hide in the manufacture of his holsters.

I found it to be very interesting and informative!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If trying to decide between Horse and Cow hide, you might want to go to Gary Brommelands page HERE and read why he chooses to use Cow Hide over Horse Hide in the manufacture of his holsters.

Interesting article, although that hasn't been MY experience with premium horsehide holsters. They held the gun perfectly, yet molded to my body and were comfortable from the start.
    Given the choice, it's horsehide for me!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

I must say Kevin's picture of his VM-2 in horsehide and shark is a very beautiful holster! A-1

What I do like about the Brommeland is for pistols with ultra short barrel's like the XD sub compacts, he has an extended leather "wing" at the bottom of the holster which helps keep the holster against your body to keep the "top heavy" butt of the gun with a high-capacity magazine from "rolling over" the top of the belt causing it to stick out away from the body.

I have found that to be kind of a problem with some IWB style holsters when worn on guys who tend to have a bit of a gut on them. My Brommeland is glued to my side with no flopping around what so ever!

Note: I have not tried a Sparks VM-2 however.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

And from the MS website;

What is the difference between cowhide and horsehide?

One of the more notable properties of horsehide is its natural ability to repel moisture. This is due to the dense cell structure of the hide thus limiting its porosity. This natural ability to repel moisture makes it very useful for certain applications, particularly for use inside the waistband.

Unlike with cowhide, horsehides non-porous nature reduces its ability to fully absorb the casing solution during the forming process, making it much more difficult to get good crisp detail of the weapon when molding around the gun. Also for the same reason horsehide tends not to absorb the dye and finishing materials as evenly making it in my opinion, somewhat inferior in that respect to good cowhide.

On the durability issue there has been much BS circulating on the mythical wear characteristics of horsehide. I will not argue that a well made horsehide holster will give you many years and possibly a lifetime of good service, but with proper care a good cowhide holster will last just as long.

Some of our holsters combine the use of both horsehide and cowhide, taking into advantage the desirable attributes of each material. So which material is better?? That is a personal preference issue. Where horsehide is available as an option, the choice is yours.

Go figure.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Kevin - You just cost me some money. The picture of your's looks so good that when my order confirmation came today and I immediately called to change it to horse with shark trim.

Always go for horse hide. My wife and daughter have 9 horses on our 20 acres around our house and making a holster out of them is the best use I can think of for them. My Rhino and Prairie ATVs are much more useful then a horse will ever be. I've also got a Kramer IWB horsehide holster for my Baby Eagle .40 and it holds it's shape very well.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    My wife and daughter have 9 horses on our 20 acres around our house and making a holster out of them is the best use I can think of for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    If you are going for a high class holster, go whole hog.
    A bacon holster would be classy.

Horse in the hands of a leather craftsman is the way to go.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links