Leather Supply "Problems."

This is a discussion on Leather Supply "Problems." within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I specialize in rodeo gear and custom saddles. I make holsters, too. I've seen several posts by various (unnamed) makers complaining of problems getting supplies/materials. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Supply "Problems."

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar

Leather Supply "Problems."

I specialize in rodeo gear and custom saddles. I make holsters, too. I've seen several posts by various (unnamed) makers complaining of problems getting supplies/materials.

After 21-years of working in this industry, and NEVER having a problem getting leather, I find it not only difficult, but actually IMPOSSIBLE to believe anyone's having problems finding leather.

I use Hermann Oak veg-tanned leather--it's the best we produce here in America. They've had some price increases, but NEVER had a problem supplying me or anyone else. If a maker is claiming they can't get good leather, you're being lied to. Simple as that.

I'm tired of reading these lame excuses and placing the blame on the tanneries...it's just not the case. If you get that line, just know it's not true.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Wickett & Craig is a Pennsylvania tannery that produces an extremely high quality Vegetable Tanned tooling leather also. Check them out.

http://www.wickett-craig.com/
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK's absolutely right. I don't use WC, but I hear they deliver. I use Hermann Oak exclusively, and they always deliver. Always.

There has to be a big supply of leather available. In the US we kill millions and millions of cattle each year for food and their hides are obviously used for all kinds of products.

Absolutely true. And we tan them using naturally occurring elements--we don't toss in the arsenic and other poisons the South American country's do.

And that's not politically correct. I apologize.

None of the legitimate holster makers seem to be chiming in, and the "can't get leather" makers are silent. That's interesting.

I sure hope none of the "supply problem" holster makers have died on us.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    None of the legitimate holster makers seem to be chiming in, and the "can't get leather" makers are silent. That's interesting.

Well this thread has only been up for 1 1/2 hours.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

How would I go about making my own leather holster?

Is there a kit or somethin?

Administrator
    HERE IS ONE BOOK. It's is not expensive. It's a little bit outdated regarding the actual holster patterns in the book but, it WILL give you the step by step on how to design and custom fit your own holster as well as give you the general leather working basics.

There is also a great instruction VID by Dusty Johnson on holster making. That is for sure more up to date than the "How To Make Holsters" book but, I would buy them both.
    The Dusty Johnson is only $12.99 and you can buy that by clicking HERE.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Bruce,

I totally agree with you and have felt this way for a long while now and we seem to be on the exact same page with this. The excuses are rampant with a couple of unnamed holster makers and that is why they will never get my business or endorsements again.

The other thing that really pick's at me is when some say that the leather quality is not good enough for them so they send the leather back thus causing a back log (or at least that is the excuse) while other makers are turning out incredible holsters and other leather products of extremely high quality if not of much better quality. This implies that the entire holster/leather business is sending out junk leather when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I have had no less than 8 custom holsters delivered in the last 6-7 months and at least 4 others in the 6 months prior to that even, that you couldn't pry from my cold dead hands they are that good.

I am held accountable in my line of work and so should holster makers or anyone else.
    Last edited by LVLabs; November 26th, 2007 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post

Bruce,
    I'll agree with you that Hermann Oak leather has been supplying top grade leather as long as I've been using them and I've been using them almost exclusively for the last 25 years. And unlike some, I haven't noticed any decline in quality as has been suggested.

I do remember a thread on this site awhile back where Hermann Oaks name was being tossed about in a negative kind of way. And since I happen to like the good folks at Hermann Oak, I invited one of the Hermann Oak management guys to sign on as a member to get his side of the story.

One of the 2 complainee's who just happens to live in a neighboring state and has been experiencing a little bit of a problem filling prepaid customer orders as a result of his impending bancruptcy, made a claim that he had to send his last two Hermann Oak orders back over the previous two months because of quality issues. Funny thing is, while this Hermann Oak exec was perusing the thread and while I was on the phone with him, he made the observation that the complainee in question hadn't even ordered any leather from them in over 4 months! And even then it was only 2 hides and the complainee kept both of them!

So you just got to take this stuff with a grain of salt and not get too excited about it. They'll just argue that you're settling for less than optimal even though we both know that's not true. It's a no win situation.

T
    Second Best is not an option

Bruce,

I just ordered the holster/sheath making video from your site. I'd like to try my hand at it just to tinker a bit. look's like an informative video.

I also agree with T. Kanaley, customers of the unnamed holster makers with the "problems" are getting the wool pulled of there eyes and most of them have been falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by LVLabs View Post
    I also agree with T. Kanaley, customers of the unnamed holster makers with the "problems" are getting the wool pulled of there eyes and most of them have been falling for it hook, line and sinker.
    That's not exactly what I was saying. The customer can believe whatever he or she wants. From my perspective, I don't like the fact that I can't disagree with the assumption without being accused of settling for inferior product. I named one instance where the source was proven to have no credibility. I don't know about the others.
    Second Best is not an option

Heck yeah, and fight that power as well as give me a freaking cheeseburger with the leftovers!

honestly, it's not the lack of leather i see being the problem (even though it might me claimed) but the demand of orders coming into the smaller companies giving a great product but just can't "give it to all when asked".

sounds more like greed than a hurt for a depravity of cowhide.
    What's this button do?

Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    That's not exactly what I was saying. The customer can believe whatever he or she wants. From my perspective, I don't like the fact that I can't disagree with the assumption without being accused of settling for inferior product. I named one instance where the source was proven to have no credibility. I don't know about the others.
    I agree, those are my words, I was just running with it on my end some out of frustration! In bold is exactly my point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links