Pocket Carry of Things You Normally Wouldn't Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry of Things You Normally Wouldn't Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a huge believer in pocket carry. A lot of us have a need for a method that presents such an intuitive and quick draw. ...

Thread: Pocket Carry of Things You Normally Wouldn't Pocket Carry

Pocket Carry of Things You Normally Wouldn't Pocket Carry

I'm a huge believer in pocket carry. A lot of us have a need for a method that presents such an intuitive and quick draw. I've been drawing a knife (for utility purposes) from a pocket for years so I can draw a gun from a pocket faster than any other position. I've developed a powerful muscle memory for it.

I also like pocket carry because it meets my individual needs for day to day convenience. I like being able to jump in my truck, unlock the case, and slide the gun and its holster in and out of my pocket. It means I can have a gun in more places where I'm legally allowed to but couldn't otherwise.

But today I was wearing a pair of my cargo shorts with the extra large pockets and wondered why I couldn't pocket carry my XD40. This obviously wouldn't work in my day to day attire but why not try it since I was wearing a garment with such large pockets? I found one of my pocket holsters does a decent job of covering the trigger and holds the gun in place, so off I went and came back. It just happens to work out that the gun was reasonably snug in there and it didn't have a lot of room to move, but drawing it was quick and easy.

I possess a few jackets and the like that have some pretty large pockets. I wonder if there's someone who makes large pocket rigs for guns that you normally wouldn't carry in a pocket. I'd like to have such a thing for the cooler months.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well it can and is done some places. A gent on the CZ forum made his own style of "pocket" holster for a fullsize 75B. The grip sticks out of the pocket a tad but covers well with a T shirt. He likes it and wears it all of the time.
    It just depends on how creative you are and what you are willing to try.
    Shoot well...........
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Administrator

Pocket Carry

I usually shoulder carry but sometimes I pocket carry...maybe a few times a month. And...usually when I dash out of the house for quick errand type jaunts.

A pocket holster would probably be great.
    I usually just let my pocket become the holster.
    Most light "dress" pants do not have tough enough pockets.

Pocket Carry is useful. Turn your pocket inside~out & make sure there is no yukky lint in there.

WARNING: You MUST be absolutely certain that NOTHING else gets carried in that pocket except your firearm.

Some firearms are better suited for it than others.

A Walther PPK/S .380 will shred up a pocket in no time...it is so "crisply machined" and it is not comfortable for pocket carry at all.

The little "Where Did The Hammer Go???" J-frames are perfect for pants pocket carry & coat pocket carry.

I sometimes put my GLOCK 36 in the back pocket of my short/shorts & just let an untucked T-shirt hang over it when I do a quick strutt of the mutt.
    Is that a big taboo??? I like to walk on the wild side.
    A LITTLE GLOCK-ET ROCKET TUCKED IN THE OL' POCKET?

OD*
    Give Law Concealment Systems a look.
    http://www.handgunconcealment.com
    Their products work as advertised, I have one for a snubby, used it for years without complaint.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Assistant Administrator
    Much more than R9 in pocket and I am too aware of weight/bulk, even with large pockets. Good work with that XD-40 Euc!! QK too re G36! Too much for me in pocket. I do tho use OWB and vest cover (thicker shirt in winter) so much that my muscle memory for draw id that way inclined.

I do tho like the R9 sitting in a large pocket - whether as BUG or occasional primary - simply because it is so unobtrusive to place hand in pocket and be holding grips - thus able to act very quick if needed.

Not a bad idea tho sometimes to ''stretch the envelope'' (or is it pants? ) and try different things - if they work for you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Cool The Universal Holster

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Give Law Concealment Systems a look.
    http://www.handgunconcealment.com
    Their products work as advertised, I have one for a snubby, used it for years without complaint.
    Yup I have one too. I call it my universal holster since it fits any revolver or auto I have. Smooth draw but it is a BIT** to reholster afterward!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lightbulb Glock-et Rocket In The Pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I sometimes put my GLOCK 36 in the back pocket of my short/shorts & just let an untucked T-shirt hang over it when I do a quick strutt of the mutt. A LITTLE GLOCK-ET ROCKET TUCKED IN THE OL' POCKET?
    I've carried my Glock M27 once or twice in a big front pocket, but it feels too awkward and unstable. I'd rather carry in a fanny pack. MAYBE a "Belly Band" under a t-shirt and shorts. But my Belly is kinda big for a band.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The ONLY gun I consistently carry in my pocket is my NAA mini-revolver in .22LR and stoked with tracers. I'll never draw to brandish unless I'm really sure the BG will just laugh himself to death. That's my little mousegun. It just makes me feel better sometimes. But I know the only really effective use is to jam it right into the BG's eye and pull the trigger and make sure your dang fingers are away from the front of the cylinder/muzzle! It's that small.

I've seen a couple of English cops carrying autos on tv lately. The guns were hanging on the belt, but the bore part of the holster seemed to be sticking in the pants pocket.

Administrator

Lawrence Keeney

Weird...That's a new one on me.
    Now...I'm going to have to keep a TV eye peeled for that carry method.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Robert Mika of Mika's Pocket Holsters can custom make you a pocket holster for just about anything. Price runs around $20 including shipping. I had him make up a pocket holster for a S&W 625-10 .45ACP snubby. Everything worked great, but the gun wasn't up to par and got traded down the river for a S&W 21-4 TRS. He does great work and those over at The High Road rave about his work.

Links