S&W K or L 4" Holster??

S&W K or L 4" Holster??

This is a discussion on S&W K or L 4" Holster?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone recommend a holster for this gun? I know Desantis makes a speed scabbard; Galco makes a Fletch & Silhouette; Fobus makes a paddle... ...

Thread: S&W K or L 4" Holster??

S&W K or L 4" Holster??

Can anyone recommend a holster for this gun? I know Desantis makes a speed scabbard; Galco makes a Fletch & Silhouette; Fobus makes a paddle... Any others? I am primarily looking for OWB unless someone suggests a comfortable IWB for this 42oz. gun.

I carry a 4" Model 65 in a Crossbreed Supertuck in comfort all day. A good belt is as important, or more, than the holster. I use either a five stitch Wilderness Instructor's belt or Carhartt two layer Cordura/leather belts. OWB will not carry the weight any better on a flimsy belt.

I am waiting on a K&D Cochise Defender for it and will report back after receipt and break-in.

IME, revolvers are kinder than semi autos when worn IWB due to their rounded contours. Revolver grips are also easier to hide due to the fact that you can change them so easily. I have found that Hogue's Bantam grips make the round butt of a K or L frame disappear almost as easily as that of a J frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase2b View Post
    Can anyone recommend a holster for this gun? I know Desantis makes a speed scabbard; Galco makes a Fletch & Silhouette; Fobus makes a paddle... Any others? I am primarily looking for OWB unless someone suggests a comfortable IWB for this 42oz. gun.
    I can recommend Fist. I use one for my GP100 and have ordered one for my L frame S&W. Should be able to find what you need here:
    http://www.fist-inc.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Milt Sparks PMK! I carry a 4" Ruger Speed Six in one fairly often, and this sixgun splits the difference in size and weight between a K and L frame.

VIP Member
    I second the Fist. I got a #14 IWB-OWB for my S&W 64-3, 4 inch 38 special. Its a heavy gun and I am just amazed at how this holster carries. Especially IWB. I thought it would be uncomfortable IWB, but I can wear it all day , no prob. the holster can be used OWB or IWB. Of course OWB is excellent too. Holds close to the body. Get one. The price is right and it's 2 holsters in one. You won't regret it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I second the Fist. I got a #14 IWB-OWB for my S&W 64-3, 4 inch 38 special. Its a heavy gun and I am just amazed at how this holster carries. Especially IWB. I thought it would be uncomfortable IWB, but I can wear it all day , no prob. the holster can be used OWB or IWB. Of course OWB is excellent too. Holds close to the body. Get one. The price is right and it's 2 holsters in one. You won't regret it.

[IMG][/IMG]
    How does this holster ride high, low? Looking at the belt loops it seems kind of in-between? As an OWB does it conceal well under a sweat shirt? Alaso, when I looked at the pictures on their site it seems to be a very wide holster.

How does this holster ride high, low? Looking at the belt loops it seems kind of in-between? As an OWB does it conceal well under a sweat shirt? Alaso, when I looked at the pictures on their site it seems to be a very wide holster.
    I have the #14. I don't like high ride holsters and the#14 rides low enough for me. I often cover my GP100 with a sweat shirt. Wide?? Doesnt seem so to me. I recommend this holster for OWB or IWB.

VIP Member
    I agree on the site the holsters look huge. When I got mine it seemed big but that was only because all I had to compare it to was my Fist OWB for my XD40SC. It's not any bigger than needed to be for the weight distribution. It rides perfect as far as I'm concerned for OWB. You don't want it too high, it makes it too hard to draw. IWB is just right too. I wear mine IWB quite often now at about 4:00 ( as suggested on here ) and it is unbelievably comfortable. I thought it would really poke in my side because it's a large revolver.
    Here's a pic of me wearing it OWB. It conceals just as good ( or better) than my XD does with just a shirt...
    [IMG][/IMG]

I agree on the site the holsters look huge. When I got mine it seemed big but that was only because all I had to compare it to was my Fist OWB for my XD40SC. It's not any bigger than needed to be for the weight distribution. It rides perfect as far as I'm concerned for OWB. You don't want it too high, it makes it too hard to draw. IWB is just right too. I wear mine IWB quite often now at about 4:00 ( as suggested on here ) and it is unbelievably comfortable. I thought it would really poke in my side because it's a large revolver.
    Here's a pic of me wearing it OWB. It conceals just as good ( or better) than my XD does with just a shirt...
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks again for the advice. I'm going to give it a try. I never even considered carrying my S&W 4" (40 0z) because I assumed that it would be too large/heavy to carry comfortable.

VIP Member
    Thanks again for the advice. I'm going to give it a try. I never even considered carrying my S&W 4" (40 0z) because I assumed that it would be too large/heavy to carry comfortable.
    I thought the same thing. I've had this gun for 27 years and been carrying for just over a year. Never considered carrying it until reading some of the threads on here. You'll love that holster. Be sure to let us know how you like it with pics and a review.

Here's my Model 65 worn IWB in a Supertuck and a pic showing how the long barrel just hides away.

It's funny how many don't even blink at carrying an all-steel 1911 Commander or Govt model, yet shy away from a service revolver due to weight. They weigh the same, virtually.

VIP Member
    The Supertuck looks good. I feel the same way. Like I said , I was surprised how easy my revolver carrys. Don't see carrying it much in the summer, but I dont carry my XD as much in the summer either.

The Supertuck looks good. I feel the same way. Like I said , I was surprised how easy my revolver carrys. Don't see carrying it much in the summer, but I dont carry my XD as much in the summer either.
    With the right shirts, my K frame disappears in summer time as well.

There is something very comforting about 6 rounds of 357 Magnum ready to go.

Links