Trying something new: The Safepacker

This is a discussion on Trying something new: The Safepacker within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While traveling recently I have lamented... if only there were a simple way to carry my XD40 that was easy on easy off and didn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

While traveling recently I have lamented... if only there were a simple way to carry my XD40 that was easy on easy off and didn't require a constant case to holster transfer.

I think I've found the answer in the Safepacker. I'm sure it's pretty rugged as it's made by the same people that make the incredibly stiff and tough Wilderness belts.

True it's not going to as good as a holster holster and I have a lovely pistol case for it already, but the fact that it's so convenient looking and has so many potential uses makes it tempting. I really like the fact you can just buckle it to your seatbelt. I don't really have any sort of car holster.

I also like the fact that you can stick your spare magazine in there with it and not have two things on your belt. Don't get me wrong I normally prefer to have magazines where my left hand can reach them while I shoot with my right hand, but at least this way I'll have the spares handy.

I noticed it also rides fairly low on the belt. I can't stand many OWB type things because I find they ride too high and poke me in the side.

I have to carry a lot of crap with me whenever I travel anywhere anway so anything that gives me another pocket would be welcome, not to mention having the flexibility to just take it off and lock it up case and all and then just clip it back on again is appealing.

It's also very interesting to me in that it has a retention strap that allows for a secure form of off body carry. I've never needed or wanted such a thing but I'd like to see if it works. Thinking about it, I often carry a binder or a clutch anyway so it might be something for me to investigate.

I've been itching for one of their new belts that doesn't have any metal in it anyway, so I went ahead and got a Safepacker for my XD40 when I ordered. I'll see how it works out. I'm particularly interested to see how fast it is to draw from. I'd also really like to investigate this for my 629-4.

I only wish it wasn't black.

The Safepacker

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/pro...products_id/18

The Frequent Flyer Belt

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id/196

Cool case for an XD (Has nothing to do with thread but I recently bought one and it's just cool)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=457007

Administrator

Question Hummmmmmmmmm

You have got to be kidding.
    Please tell me you are kidding.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Wink What's the problem QK?

RE: The Belt

I want to try this belt and it'll pass through a metal detector, saving the hassle of removing it. It's not a Beltman.com (right URL?) product but I have a desire and slight need for such an item.

RE: The Safepacker

Oh I don't think it will work out well as an every day holster, not at all. It's not a substitute for an HBE/Del Fatti/insert holster maker here.

But its other uses intrigue me.

The worst that can happen is I find out it's not good for anything.

Not to be harsh QK but my needs are not your needs and vice versa. I think carrying constant strong side OWB is ideal for fast presentation and targetting, but doesn't work well in the real world for a lot of people.

RE: The Case

What? It's a good case you ninny.

Administrator

Euc

SafePacker
    "Not to be harsh QK but my needs are not your needs and vice versa."

That must be true.

"The worst that can happen is I find out it's not good for anything."

That is also true.

Did you happen to take a really
    close look at this picture?
    And I thought fanny packs were bad.

The belt looks pretty nice.

The XD case is nice.

As usual...just my opinion on the SafePacker.
    Maybe you do have a good use for it.
    That is (of course) fine with me.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 21st, 2005 at 11:58 PM.

DC Founder
    That screams, ummmm, man purse to me....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Well, you know, wear it with khaki's and a polo shirt, and most would take it as an organizer/PDA carrier/coughcoughmanpursecough. Seriously, maybe not the best speed draw, but could be very unobtrusive..... Let us know!

Administrator

Euc

I don't want to sound like I'm coming down on that SafePacker for no good reason.
    It looks EXACTLY like a place where a tourist or traveler would keep all of their valuables. Passport, Travelers Checks, Credit Cards, Cash, Phone, etc.
    If I were a thug & there were 10 assorted people walking down the street & I needed to pick only one to knock on the head and rob...it would be the person that was wearing that.
    Just my opinion.

Assistant Administrator
    I am thinking somewhat after QK's direction - wondering if it might be a potential ''attack magnet'' - depending where you are of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, I've been using one for nearly two years, now, under some circumstances, and not only has it not been an "attack magnet" it has been completely ignored, particularly in some places that are paranoid about carry. It is difficult for anyone other than the wearer to remove or open.

I have found it particularly useful in search-and-rescue, camping and hiking situations. It does not snag on brush, and my pistol was protected and padded when several of us had a creek bank give way and we tumbled down a ravine. Of course, this is what it was designed for.

It is also handy for travel. I can slide it off my belt, quickly and easily, and slip my seatbelt through it, and it does make carry and access much easier while in the driver's seat. When I get to my destination, I can easily put it back on my belt without lots of unusual movement. When I'm in a motel, I unhook the cover flap, slide the cover flap in between the mattress and the bed frame, and my pistol is holstered but complete accessible, instantly and silently, from bed at night - not on the floor or in a drawer or on a nightstand. All I have to do is drop my hand off the side of the bed, and my hand is on my pistol - I can draw without any apparent movement.

The Safepacker can also be mounted on a fanny pack accessory belt, or as a pocket on a briefcase, mounted on a belt as a protected OWB holster, carried on a strap, carried in hand, or mounted on a safety belt.

I've never been a fan of Seinfeld, so I couldn't care less about the "man purse" thing. Appearances can be deceiving, and frankly, for concealed carry, that's what I prefer. If someone wants to draw conclusions about me from a hiking pack on my belt, and write me off as a threat, then that's fine with me. I put my blackberry unit in the flap pocket with the earphone attached, and clip the earphone to my collar. People assume it is anything but a pistol. With proper adjustment and practice, draw is fairly quick, though not quite as fast as IWB.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't have a box full of discarded holsters. I have the Safepacker, and a used Sparks VM-2, and I have some stuff on order from Gary Brommeland. When I can't carry IWB, I have used the Safepacker. It has served me well.

Euc, I'm glad you found something that works. As long as you understand its limitations, and train with it, I think you will find it a useful addition to your kit.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

It seems, from the video in the first link, that the draw is just too busy. First there is an upstroke to open it, which parallels the upstroke to clear clothing from a tucked IWB holster. But now, when your hand would just about be on the gun with an IWB and the upstroke would continue, you have to go back down, fish around for the gun and then bring it up and out.

Use it in a Teuller drill from 3 yards with an airsoft gun and rubber knife.
    Last edited by grnzbra; July 22nd, 2005 at 01:50 PM. Reason: used wrong word
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Assistant Administrator
    Tom - useful info - always good to hear from users. I guess, tho grnzbra mentions the draw disadvantage, we could say same about SmartCarry too - probably more so.

In the end it is down to what works for situations and if for some reason I could not use my normal choices - then this could well be an option - quite a few good points.

Any time the ''ideal'' carry mode has to be discarded for something either more subtle or protective even - there will be a downside but - as ever we'd weigh the balance and and accept inherent limitations knowing at least a gun is still there! I would anyways.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

As an alternative to Smart Carry,...

...it would be good. Let's say 3 guys are doing something and you intend to initiate the shooting, you want to sneak the gun out, shoot the first guy and be shooting at the second while the third is still trying to determine where the shots are coming from, although for that I think I'd prefer a belly band and a button down the front shirt with an open button.

Man purse? GOOD. LET THEM ALL THINK MAN PURSE!. That way, a gun may be the last thing they'd expect. Talk about getting inside someone's OODA! Can you get it with embroidered flowers or clouds or something like that?. Hmmm. I'm beginning to rethink this.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Perhaps I should better describe why this interests me.

Well it may be a complete piece of junk too. It may be too slow to draw from. I don't know. I'm going to try it and see.

What interests me cheifly is the possibility that it may be easy to draw from when it's actually in your opposite hand.

See I often run out somewhere where I can carry from somewhere I can't and I'm not there very long. The idea of being able to just strap it on the hand and have it handy and yet not "grabbable" is appealing.

I also like you can fasten it on a seatbelt.

As for how it's going to look on the belt line... I'm often seen carrying a bag and a binder and 2 books. How will this thing not fit in?

I also had a problem when I needed to carry all the "stuff" that's become commonplace these days. I bought a mini backpack for times when I want to carry more things than I have convenient places for, including my gun. Though I personally like and use the mini pack, a small video camera case would work just as well. It's about the size of a video cassette case, has several pockets for different things like an extra mag and cell phone and can be carried by hand, with a shoulder strap or worn on the belt like a belly pack. It's perfect for times when you would have a problem carrying a weapon discreetly, like at the beach, or when you just plain have a lot you want to carry but not enough pockets for it all. They come in several sizes, from just big enough for a small (think snubby .38) revolver to large enough for a lap top PC. Best of all, mine only cost about $8 at Wally World!

Administrator

The Purpose Of A Forum

The purpose of a forum is to put all of these "things" out there & get some various opinions...."pluses & minuses" ~ "yeas & nays" Folks will say why they like something & why the reverse.
    I would say that "The CombatCarry.com Forum" is working exactly like a GOOD forum should work.
    As Euclidian pointed out...people have different lifestyles and different needs and what works for Joe aint no good at all for Fred.
    On the forum "Ralph" can look a what Joe Likes and what Fred doesn't like & decide what might work best for Ralph.
    Sooo...That's a good thing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links