Smartcarry Holsters ?? I Don't Get It

This is a discussion on Smartcarry Holsters ?? I Don't Get It within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I mean no offense to anyone who uses a SMARTCARRY holster . I just don't get it . It's slower than an ankle rig ! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry Holsters ?? I Don't Get It

I mean no offense to anyone who uses a SMARTCARRY holster . I just don't get it . It's slower than an ankle rig ! If you had to pull your gun , you can't do it fast enough to get the drop on an attacker . God forbid you "guys" put your finger on the trigger before clearing your waistband . I'm just curious if all of you that use these holsters , are they just for a backup gun or for your main carry gun ???? I ask because alot of people on this site seem to brag about this line of holsters and how they love them . It seems to be an inconveinent way to carry. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    I mean no offense to anyone who uses a SMARTCARRY holster . I just don't get it . It's slower than an ankle rig ! If you had to pull your gun , you can't do it fast enough to get the drop on an attacker . God forbid you "guys" put your finger on the trigger before clearing your waistband . I'm just curious if all of you that use these holsters , are they just for a backup gun or for your main carry gun ???? I ask because alot of people on this site seem to brag about this line of holsters and how they love them . It seems to be an inconveinent way to carry. IMO
    I agree...I don't get the smart carry either. First of all, it seems very uncomfortable, but many swear by them. Secondly, IF if put one on...I wouldn't be able to see it (gut)...I like to be able to see my holster...

If approached in a parking lot by a 'weird' individual...how would I look, unzipping my pants to get to my gun...OMO

Stay armed...with a good 'ole IWB...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm with ya! Would never carry a primary in that thing and neither would I carry a back up in it cause my primary will be right where I train with it @ 3:00-3:15 IWB or OWB and the belt would be tight enough to hold it and my pants up so I wouldn't be able to safely get to a not so smart carry very quick or very safe. I am not risking shooting my stuff off.

Carry where you train/Train where you carry!

If you are training from a smart carry holster in a fighting pistol class all day for 8 hours and then carrying it in the same fashion when you leave the class and you can get through that class where you are up and down, on the ground, taking cover, etc and get to the gun the entire time with no problem I am all for it (it can't happen). But if you strap on a OWB holster and train for the day then throw your ccw in a not so smart carry when you leave, you are doing yourself an injustice as your muscle memory is designed to go where you trained it to, in a high stress situation your toast, ask any instructor or a LEO that actually trains on a regular basis. LEO's normally survive incounters in the field due to training, muscle memory and instinct. Many times they will tell you that train takes over and they didn't even remember drawing there weapon. That is the way it should work, instinct and muscle memory and let the training take over.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I view holsters not as good/bad in and of themselves, but as a collection of advantages and disadvantages for different situations. Smartcarry might be better than any other option for certain non-permissive environments, or environments where clothing options are limited. Personally, I would rather use Smartcarry than an ankle holster in those situations because the draw is faster, more stable, and I likely wouldn't have to change my body position as much to do it.

Backup, non-permissive environment, clothing restrictions--this is where I personally see a place for Smartcarry.

Personally, I'm 90% OWB , 10% IWB, with probably less than 1% pocket or Smartcarry, unless pocket or Smartcarry are used in conjunction with OWB or IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbW View Post
    Smartcarry might be better than any other option for certain non-permissive environments, or environments where clothing options are limited. Personally, I would rather use Smartcarry than an ankle holster in those situations because the draw is faster, more stable, and I likely wouldn't have to change my body position as much to do it.

Backup, non-permissive environment, clothing restrictions--this is where I personally see a place for Smartcarry.
    RobbW nailed it concerning non-permissive environments. While I have carried IWB in non-permissive environments, in certain situations, anything but carrying in the groin area increases the odds of being discovered. If I'm out running around at Walmart, etc., where being discovered is not that big of a deal, then I'm likely to go IWB. In other situations, I have much to lose if I'm discovered. Then I'll go Smartcarry. And in those situations, I carry my primary there.

I can draw from my Smartcarry much faster than I can from an ankle holster, unless I am sitting. Then Smartcarry isn't the fastest. Smartcarry also allows me to carry a larger gun than I could in an ankle holster. I work in an active environment, and a large gun on my ankle would be a liability.

Since I haven't yet bought a smaller BUG, in some situations for me, it's either Smartcarry, or don't carry. And I don't like to not carry.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree...I don't get the smart carry either. First of all, it seems very uncomfortable, but many swear by them. Secondly, IF if put one on...I wouldn't be able to see it (gut)...I like to be able to see my holster...

If approached in a parking lot by a 'weird' individual...how would I look, unzipping my pants to get to my gun...OMO
    "Hi, I'm Larry Craig, and I'm glad to see you.
    Let me show you my gun. Just tap your foot if you want to see it.

No, really!"
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

A gun in a a slightly restrictive place is better than no gun at all. I have an ankle holster, smart carry, owb, and iwb. Certain pants I can carry on my ankle but others don't allow for as I print horribly or when I wear shorts. I work in environments where it would be really bad for me to be made. I can't risk an accidental reveal by the owb or even my iwb as it sometimes can show. Guarantee that my smart carry never shows, I train to get it out of it and I use it more often than my other holster because of the deep cover needs of my life. It is more comfortable than some other holsters, and I've never had a problem. Its kind of one of those things, that you won't know till you try it, and even then it isn't for everybody. Why does everyone love Milt sparks? Because of the quality, comfort and the ability to carry. Same applies for the smart carry.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I had one and didn't like it, but it wasn't too slow to draw from (if you're not overweight). There's no need to unzip your pants to get to it. My problem was with the comfort, it might be better with a different choice of weapon though.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I'm with you Robb. Smart carry has it's place.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    It's not my favorite method of carry, but I have used it when nothing else would work. As others have said, it allows you to deeply conceal a bigger gun than you would with an ankle holster.

I have worn out my first SmartCarry holster first with a Walther PPK/S and now with a S&W 642CT (2 years of daily wear). NO ONE has detected a weapon on me yet. I can draw from this holster quick enough, from about any position. It is THE most comfortable holster I've worn, from a full day of carpentry, changing the oil in my truck, playing 18 holes of golf. I do switch to coat pocket carry of my snub-nose in the winter, returning the gun to an IWB or SmartCarry when the coat comes off. SC has it place.
    P.S. "The Boys" are never in danger.
    Last edited by LastManOut; December 4th, 2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: P.S. added

Its for DEEP CONCEALMENT
    Last edited by Bumper; December 5th, 2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Unnecessary comment removed.

As others have said, it's for deep concealment. It's not my favorite mode of carry, but it does what I need it to do, when I need it to do it. And it is much, much better than not carrying at all. Plus, when you carry in the SmartCarry, there is no confusion whatsoever in regards to where to draw from! And if some BG is walking up to you and you shove your hand down the front of your pants, you may be buying yourself a few seconds of confusion (or he may run the other way).
    Last edited by LMarshall73; December 4th, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling

a friend of mine used to carry his Kimber in his smart carry. i thought it was a bit too much gun, but it concealed well. he usually has a keltec in it now. very good tool to have in the shed. definitely not the first choice for concealment, but better than leaving the gun in the car or at home.

I wear mine all the time!
    The absolute most comfortable way to carry all day long without a doubt.
    now that its cooler i can carry on my belt in a pancake holster which is faster but not as comfortable.
    with practice I think you would be surprised at how fast and efficient you could be. The summer carry possibillities are endless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links