Springfield XD 45 Compact in a SmartCarry?

This is a discussion on Springfield XD 45 Compact in a SmartCarry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been intrigued with the idea of the SmartCarry for some time now. I'm aware of the pros and cons of it, like great concealment ...

Thread: Springfield XD 45 Compact in a SmartCarry?

I've been intrigued with the idea of the SmartCarry for some time now. I'm aware of the pros and cons of it, like great concealment but slower access, etc.... What I currently carry is an XD 45 Compact (carried as a "compact" with 10-round mag). The barrel is four inches.

I'm thinking that it could work very well with khaki pants. My usual jeans, not so much. I stand about 5' 9.5" to 5' 10" and weigh around 200 pounds, average build, no gut to speak of.

Also, for those of you who SmartCarry, do you keep a round chambered and are you comfortable doing so?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Also, for those of you who SmartCarry, do you keep a round chambered and are you comfortable doing so?
    Absolutely, especially with the grip safety of the XD. Not sure I'd be so comfortable with one without a safety.

I have a friend who wasn't sure about carrying chambered in the Smartcarry. He cocked his XD, unchambered, and carried it doing a lot of physical activities. I don't remember how long he tested it, maybe a week, carrying every day. It never went off accidentally. He once accidentally dropped his XD, loaded and chambered, from waist high. It bounced off the hard floor, and never fired. He now carries chambered, all the time in every holster.

I also carry chambered in the Smartcarry. It took me awhile to work up the courage, but now I have no problems with it. The barrel isn't pointed at my privates. It was designed to be worn low, and if worn low, the barrel lays on top of and in parallel with my private area. If the gun were to discharge, the bullet will either go between my legs, or perhaps hit a leg. I'm just very careful not to push on the grip safety when holstering.

Reference your 4", make sure you get the proper size holster. My XD9sc fits well in a medium holster, but my 4" S&W 59 is top heavy in the same holster. I have used the 59 with the medium holster, but it is not optimum. Let Charlie from Smartcarry know what you have, and he'll set you up right. (My XD is my primary, that's why I ordered the medium.)

I ordered the double holster since the grip on my XD prints just a bit. With the double holster, I place my XD in the left holster with grip facing right (I'm right-handed). That way, the small bump is nearer the zipper and seems to hide better for me. The double holster also gives me the option of carrying two guns. Charlie also sells a security model, which has a full-length pouch behind the holster(s). Some people keep speed strips in them, or documents, or cash. I've used it for my 4" S&W before in a crunch. The security pouch swallowed up my S&W, but it would be a bit harder to draw from that pouch. Neither the extra holster nor the security pouch add much bulk for me.

There are many other holster options, but due to the environment I carry in, I don't know what I would do without my Smartcarry.

never point a loaded gun at something you would not want to lose. Do you want to be singing soprano? I was intereseted in the smart carry but for the cons outweighed the pros. I carry my compact 45 with a K&D at the 3:30 postition. I am a shorty 5'7" and you can't see the gun. The holster is very comfortable even with a relativly big gun like a 45.

I have a medium SmartCarry and sometimes carry my S&W 1911 4-1/4" Commander. It works okay in carpenter jeans, khakis, or dress pants, but I feel it is too big for regular bluejeans. The beavertail and the hammer dig into my gut, and the longer grip of the Commander prints pretty bad by my pocket.

I would think that the XD45 Compact would work well in the SmartCarry because of the shorter mag grip and the absence of a beavertail and external hammer. Talk to Charlie. He will probably tell you to get a medium. The large is for 5" 1911s and longer-barrelled revolvers.

Also, yes, I keep a round chambered and carry it cocked and locked. I actually feel safer carrying a cocked and locked 1911 in a SmartCarry than I would a Glock or one of the new M&Ps.

M&P .40c 3.5" barrel, with medium size smartcarry. Very comfy, + extra 10 rd mag. Carry everyday with one in the pipe.

I use a smart carry for my S&W 442. Very comfortable even in the summer with shorts and t shirt. I am not comfortable with my Glock 23 in this holster. I will probably carry a commander size 1911, cocked and locked when I part with the money for one. (Soon, very soon)

Assistant Administrator
    I bought my SmartCarry ages ago - big enough for my then P95 - it managed fine. It will still manage if I put my large 226 in there too!

Thing is for me - rare useage tho I put it too - if I am concealing a DA/SA then I have no concerns over <cough> ''proximity'' matters

It's a great option to have even for once a year - great device IMO - kudos to Charlie - he has done well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have one tha I carry my Kimber UlTRA II in sometimes. It's good while on my feet, but gets a little uncomfortable if I try to drive with it on. It really hides the gun well.

3 years of wearin' it pretty much every day and the only complaint i still have is the darn thing has worn out. put another order in just a few days ago for another one. took some getting used to and always be careful when reholstering (but how often do we "play" with our gun. Once i've left the home the only time i would ever take my firearm out is to use it or lock it in a safe place for a non-ccw visit (and that don't happen very often.)
    With all the pro's to it you should check it out, i've used it with g26 glock and pt111 taurus, 617 taurus revolver and others and wife can't tell.

XDM 45 Compact with SmartCarry

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I've been intrigued with the idea of the SmartCarry for some time now. I'm aware of the pros and cons of it, like great concealment but slower access, etc.... What I currently carry is an XD 45 Compact (carried as a "compact" with 10-round mag). The barrel is four inches.

I'm thinking that it could work very well with khaki pants. My usual jeans, not so much. I stand about 5' 9.5" to 5' 10" and weigh around 200 pounds, average build, no gut to speak of.

I carry a XDM 45 Compact in a SmartCarry holster. I find the SmartCarry extremely comfortable and convenient. I use the flush fit 9-round magazine in the pistol and concealability/comfort is very good. I can carry the 13-round magazine spare in the convienent mag pocket on the holster too with no loss of concealability or comfort. I just wear my normal size pants and don't have any need to buy pants a different size for carrying.

I stand 6' tall and weigh about 220lbs with enough of a belly overlap. However, the SmartCarry is still comfortable even when sitting for hours.

I also carry a round in the chamber. I have done several experiments with the XDM 45 (when unloaded of course) where I have intentionally tried to fire the pistol in the holster. First, I contorted myself into several standing and sitting positions checking to see if the grip safety was ever depressed while in the holster. I can say that even with my big belly pushing into the pistol while bending over or while sitting I have never found a postion in which the grip safety was depressed. While my belly in some positions would push against the butt of the pistol the grip safety was never depressed because the safety sits in recessed area. Maybe someone else's belly would be different. But for me the grip safety stays safe. Secondly, I have (still with unloaded gun) cocked the gun and manually depressed the grip safety and tried to pull the trigger. It is impossible. I tried pulling the trigger through my pants and the holster. I have tried it with no pants on, and just tried to pull the trigger through the SmartCarry holster itself. It is impossible. I mean I really tried to dig my finger in there to pull the trigger while the grip safety is depressed. I cannot make the XDM fire while in the holster. So I feel safe using the XDM in the SmartCarry with a round chambered.

Of course one will still need to be careful when drawing from the holster and keep your finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire. But this applies to any holster.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreene123 View Post
    I carry a XDM 45 Compact in a SmartCarry holster. I find the SmartCarry extremely comfortable and convenient. I use the flush fit 9-round magazine in the pistol and concealability/comfort is very good. I can carry the 13-round magazine spare in the convienent mag pocket on the holster too with no loss of concealability or comfort. I just wear my normal size pants and don't have any need to buy pants a different size for carrying.

I stand 6' tall and weigh about 220lbs with enough of a belly overlap. However, the SmartCarry is still comfortable even when sitting for hours.

I also carry a round in the chamber. I have done several experiments with the XDM 45 (when unloaded of course) where I have intentionally tried to fire the pistol in the holster. First, I contorted myself into several standing and sitting positions checking to see if the grip safety was ever depressed while in the holster. I can say that even with my big belly pushing into the pistol while bending over or while sitting I have never found a postion in which the grip safety was depressed. While my belly in some positions would push against the butt of the pistol the grip safety was never depressed because the safety sits in recessed area. Maybe someone else's belly would be different. But for me the grip safety stays safe. Secondly, I have (still with unloaded gun) cocked the gun and manually depressed the grip safety and tried to pull the trigger. It is impossible. I tried pulling the trigger through my pants and the holster. I have tried it with no pants on, and just tried to pull the trigger through the SmartCarry holster itself. It is impossible. I mean I really tried to dig my finger in there to pull the trigger while the grip safety is depressed. I cannot make the XDM fire while in the holster. So I feel safe using the XDM in the SmartCarry with a round chambered.

Of course one will still need to be careful when drawing from the holster and keep your finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire. But this applies to any holster.
    I carry my XDm 45 Compact in a SmartCarry just as you do -- love it!
    My build is similar to yours, but I'm 20 lbs heavier.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Sponsored Links