Holster and Belt Selection Help

This is a discussion on Holster and Belt Selection Help within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After much debate and back and forth I have finally decided on a Lightweight Commander for a CCW, it's now on layaway....... But now I ...

Thread: Holster and Belt Selection Help

After much debate and back and forth I have finally decided on a Lightweight Commander for a CCW, it's now on layaway.......

But now I need to choose a belt and holster.......

As of right now I am looking at a 5 stitch Wilderness belt and an UBG IWB Canute or Striker 1 Holster........

Question is, what other IWB holsters do you guys like for commander 1911 carry and should I look into leather belts or the plastic lined wilderness? I like the idea of the wilderness because I can adjust it to exactly where I need it instead of a little to tight or loose.....

Anyway thanks in advance guys.

VIP Member
    Well, the fact is that holster (and, to a lesser extent, belt) opinions are just as varied as firearms opinions. And, unfortunately, there is no real way of knowing if you'll like a particular set up until you wear it around for a while - hence the "holster drawer" that many of us have...

That being said, both the belt and holster maker that you have mentioned come highly recommended by very knowledgeable folks, so it seems like you're off to a good start!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    hence the "holster drawer" that many of us have...
    The holster drawer is inevitable, but you can minimize the damage by:

1. Picking quality but not uber-pricey holsters.
    2. Picking something popular hence resellable.
    3. Patiently scouring eBay and the gun boards for used holsters and belts.

as far as belts go, I tried a few and ended up with one from the belt man. It looks ultra nice and works very well. Its about $90 to get one with all the features, but you can wear it anytime, as it looks nice with suits but its not to dressy for jeans. Check him out http://www.thebeltman.net/elephant.htm
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Wilderness belt is a very good belt, but has a rather tactical look to it. It is not something that one would wear with dress slacks. It will support your gun and, as you mention, can adjust to exactly where you want to. Belt man makes a fine belt, have several of his bull hide belts.

UBG is a good holster, I have several. Also use the M Tac by Comp Tac on a near daily basis. Have it on right now. Very comfortable.

You can have a Wilderness belt and an M Tac at your door in less than 1 week.

Custom leather will take much longer. It is all a personal choice as far as what suits you.

I just got one of these holsters tonight, its from TT Gunleather. Tim does extremely good work and it is very inexpensive. I got one for my 5" 1911 tonight and I am ordering one for my sig 226 tonight as well. Check it out

http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/c1_p2.html
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Well I had some concerns about the wilderness belt, how many of you just use a 5 stitch belt or how many use the 5 stitch with polymer insert? I figure if I am to lug around a commander 1911 all the time, I need a really good belt, also how does this belt do with hooks? Or should I look into the leather snap loops for my holsters?

Lead Moderator
    I found for IWB I like a sweat shield between me and the hammer& beavertail of my SA Champ.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

FWIW

For OWB I ordered Nate's Regulator.

IWB-MS VMII or MTAC or if you can find it-MaxCon V.

The 5-stitch Wilderness is too soft for my big waist and needs a poly insert. The Rafter S is my best belt but getting one-DAMN.

Beltman is excellent, timely, affordable and stylish-not as sturdy as my Rafters, but way less aggravation.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

If you want just a leather belt, I suggest Rafter S. Also, I suggest only ordering if they have one in your size in stock that can ship immediately.

I love my black cowhide one. Nicest looking of any I have seen. It was under $60 shipped I believe.

I have a wilderness tac belt with the insert and find it to be a little too stiff. It gets uncomfortable after wearing it all day. I wish I had gotten the 5 stitch...I also have 2 Beltman bull hide belts that are just awesome.

I have belts from Milt Sparks, Rafter S, and The Belt Man. All work equally well. The Rafter S is thicker than the others though.

I carry a commander in a Tucker Gunleather Texas Heritage IWB on a Beltman Bullhide belt. Works very well...

I like the dual bullhide belt from the Beltman. VM2H and 55BNH holsters are my favorites.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links