What holster for this T-shirt guy?

This is a discussion on What holster for this T-shirt guy? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting a Glock 23 (.40 cal). Since I am military, I can get the police discount at a local shop here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What holster for this T-shirt guy?

I am looking at getting a Glock 23 (.40 cal). Since I am military, I can get the police discount at a local shop here in town. Anyways, there are so many different carrying options, that I don't know where to start! I'd kind of like to have a cross draw holster. I'm right handed by the way. In the summer, I'm almost always wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Maybe I'll have to get a smaller gun? In the winter, I'm a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy. How about holsters where you carry the gun on your lower back? I'd like to be able to sit down comfortably too. I'm sorry for this post as I'm sure it has been asked a million times here. How many other T-shirt people carry out there?

VIP Member
    I carry in a IWB holster at about 04:00. I like the Milt Sparks VersaMax-II. I have carried a G-23 in one and its great!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Though not cross-draw or small of back, a quality IWB holster is hard to beat for t shirt. I've been very happy with the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. There's a long wait but it's worth it in my opinion. Very comfy, secure, and concealable.

Though I have no personal experience with Brommeland Max Con V, others speak highly of it as well.

The key is a good quality holster AND belt.

Lead Moderator
    I IWB and tuck the front of the T in, leaving the rest loose. It tends to break up any bulge at the waistline even better. SOB carry is uncomfortable sitting and if you bend at all prints badly.
    I use a G&G Goldline holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
    I am looking at getting a Glock 23 (.40 cal). Since I am military, I can get the police discount at a local shop here in town. Anyways, there are so many different carrying options, that I don't know where to start! I'd kind of like to have a cross draw holster. I'm right handed by the way. In the summer, I'm almost always wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Maybe I'll have to get a smaller gun? In the winter, I'm a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy. How about holsters where you carry the gun on your lower back? I'd like to be able to sit down comfortably too. I'm sorry for this post as I'm sure it has been asked a million times here. How many other T-shirt people carry out there?
    You've pretty much asked the same question that I was going to ask!

Here in Oklahoma it's so darned hot in the summer that wearing anything more than a T-shirt is almost impossible.

I'm also considering a Glock although I'm leaning towards the Glock 30. I'm also considering the Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact as well.
    http://tinyurl.com/32a7s6

Either way keeping a CCW concealed here during the hot long summer could be a problem.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Administrator

Yes, this question has been asked a lot but, that's OK.

I would suggest that you try carrying OWB first at about 3:30 0'Clock under an oversize dark colored cotton T-Shirt. For maximum comfort try that first. Directly behind your strong side hip. Ideally your holster should have at least a 15 degree cant/rake to keep the butt more up than out.
    If you normally wear a large size T-Shirt then buy XXL. Because even pre-shrunk all cotton T-shirts still shrink a bit.
    You should buy High Quality Double Weight 100% Cotton Ts.
    You also need a GOOD gun belt.
    Buy a custom leather or other very high quality holster from one of the top makers & that will pull the firearm butt in quite close to your body.
    IF for any reason it does not work out for you (since everybody is built differently) then you can sell that holster on DefensiveCarry for nearly what you have into it and you'll only be out a few bucks.
    If you buy a cheaper crap holster then basically "you're stuck with it" and you'll be out the total amount that you spent for it.

You should be able to conceal a full size firearm that way. I can and do carry either a Colt Combat Commander that exact way or a SIG P220.
    Just buy your T-shirts big - heck oversize Ts are great for summer anyway. They are nice and airy.

Also if you buy your shorts from either 5.11 or Rogue then the belt loops will be positioned in locations that are great for 3:30 - 4:00 carry. Plus you'll really appreciate the extra pockets.
    These are the shorts from Rogue Elite. Their banner is up on the forum.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You can wear pretty much whatever you want short of a banana hammock with a compact gun, and a Smartcarry. I could carry at the beach if I wanted, with no T-shirt, undetected.

Here in the Gunshine state we carry in shorts and tee's a lot. I go with a high quality custom IWB and belt. Usually carry a compact 1911 or a J Frame and sometimes both. The thicker double stack guns were a little trickier for me and I parted ways with them but it's doable for many folks. Since everyone is different there is no one solution that works for everyone.

I favor products from Andrews Leather or K&D Holsters. Others have their favorites. That's why most of us have developed, er...., "collections" in the holster dept. Shoot, for my little J Frame I can carry it 4 different ways and I now have an Andrews shoulder rig on the way. Shhhh, don't tell my wife!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I went through this past summer carrying my S&W M&P in a OWB Bonnieville from UBG.

An OWB rig won't pull as close as a IWB for obvious reasons. For me it was a comfort issue. I am just not a fan of IWB carry. I have no issues concealing under a untucked polo or tshirt. Body types are different though.

If you have the option visit your local GS and see if they have any holsters you can try on while in the store. The one near me will let you unpackage and don the holster before buying. Just ask.

Go try on a galco or the like and see how IWB feels to you. then you can choose the maker for your purchase.

Holsters aint all that cheap and if you buy one and don't like it, you won't wear it.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I use an ubg canute for my iwb in a t-shirt, 3 week wait time, less than a hundred bucks, great quality and super comfy.
    Attached Images

I'd go with a VM2 from www.miltsparks.com and never look back. I find carrying at the 3:30 position for a right hander perfect.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I like OWB with some type of cover garmet but IWB for just a tshirt.

After asking and looking for months and seeing nothing but glowing praise for the quality workmanship and VIP customer service of K&D Holsters I gave Kevin a call and ordered a Dakota Defender.

Because I too wear jeans & T's most of the time

Than I realized Kevins unique design on the Maverick Defender

The Maverick Defender will let me adjust the cant to most any possible position. So now I have that one coming in a couple of weeks. My next buy will be a Eagle Defender for OWB

or maybe Larado Defender is in my future

Decsions decisions
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

For those really hot days when I wear shorts and a T-shirt I carry as normal in my Galco Royal Guard with the T-shirt untucked The only type of shorts I wear are Cargo Shorts.

My M Tac by COMP TAC carries my Glock very comfortably and will hide under a loose t shirt. You can have one is a week or less.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links